Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Mosin question, don't know the first thing about them

I can't help but notice how popular the Mosins are with you guys, my question is this: What is the history of the ones available to us(the ones that you can buy or order in NJ)? Have these guns seen battle or are they just surplus productions that were never fired?

There is a ton of history on them. If you pay attention when looking it is not uncommon to find shrapnel and such. "blood pitting". Is also quite common. When you see the wartime ex sniper, the chances that it was built and never saw combat are slim to null.

Most made before during war years likely saw action.

they are very rich with history, great rifles, and bound to go up in price as there are fewer and fewer avail.

Maybe in 50 years.

they already are.

They were $80 before, now up to $140 in some places... =) Sarco is already at $150 for 91/30's.

M44's are $200 at gun shows

Chinese Type 53 are $300

All could of been had for less than $80 a few short years ago.

Still doesn't amount to shit. Look how long the collectors market took to take interest in Garands and 98k's. 40 some year and Saving Private Ryan. Before that stupid flick surplus was all in those price ranges. You can't touch a POS G43 for under 3k now. Before that movie they came with a bowl of soup.

Most made before during war years likely saw action.

they are very rich with history, great rifles, and bound to go up in price as there are fewer and fewer avail.

Maybe in 50 years.

they already are.

They were $80 before, now up to $140 in some places... =) Sarco is already at $150 for 91/30's.

M44's are $200 at gun shows

Chinese Type 53 are $300

All could of been had for less than $80 a few short years ago.

lol. Perhaps... but hey, it is nearly 50% increase in a few short years.... that is a big deal. Buy a crate, sit on it. I know of a few folks that are doing exactly that.

Obviously it is not a $10 arisaka that is now $300 +, but it is there.

There is an insane amount of history in these guns. They have been around since the 1890s... the 7.62x54R round is the longest serving cartridge in history and the rifle is probably the longest (certainly up there) serving in history as well. They wrote books about it all... for a brief overview I would look up mosin nagant on wikipedia.

The most common rifles are the 91/30 models. Less commonly seen are M38 or M44 Carbine's. Lots of the M38s have M44 stocks... its rare to see an originial M38 stock on one. Even less commonly seen around are the more expensive Finn M39 with their hex receivers and finger joints in the stocks. There are a ton of different varieties and models made from different countries, different years, different wars. Its very possible that many of these rifles were used in combat. I'm sure there are a bunch out there that have stabbed people with their bayonets or shot someone. You don't know... which adds to the mystique around all milsurplus guns.

One caveat... very little blood is left on them. pretty much all of them were refubrished after the war and were stuck into crates in a ukrainian warehouse before imported after the breakup of the soviet union.

Were they exported before oh, say, late April 1986? Should I brink my Nukalert whenever I go shopping for the next one?