GoNRA

Career Path Question?

If you have an opportunity to work in harsh conditions, with confrontations in bad area's of New Jersey for an extra $18,000 a year would you take it?

also, would you work part time for your other job in case the opportunity is really crappy?

If you have an opportunity to work in harsh conditions, with confrontations in bad area's of New Jersey for an extra $18,000 a year would you take it?

also, would you work part time for your other job in case the opportunity is really crappy?

When you're under 30, those kinds of jobs are great. When you're over 35, have a wife, house, and other stuff you'd like to keep, those jobs are the worst.

When you're under 30, those kinds of jobs are great. When you're over 35, have a wife, house, and other stuff you'd like to keep, those jobs are the worst.

it would be an increase from 10 bucks an hour to 20 bucks an hour.

it would be an increase from 10 bucks an hour to 20 bucks an hour.

When I was 25, I would have jumped on it. I wasn't married and if I lost everything in a hurricane, it would have taken about 100 bucks to replace it. I would also have a plan to get out of there. $20/hour seems like a lot when you make $10 and it is because you don't have the kinds of commitments you're going to have at 40 where $20/hour would be a hefty wage cut.

Harsh conditions could me many things, what conditions are you talking about?

PM if you wish.

My job puts me in those conditions, not for $20 an hour though.....

PM if you wish.

bad weather, areas of (Newark and Camden), and will have confrontations from time to time

You said it's working for the state? Benefits? Pension?

Do you like your $10 an hour job? Is it doing the same work?

If I remember correctly, your a security guard right?

I'd say if your willing to adapt to the situation (People skills, not nessesarily fighting people down with a stick.. (are you even allowed to carry a stick? :-P)), id say fck it and try it out. It's not like you can't get another security job somewhere else.

Take the extra $10 an hour and save it, continue to live like you are now. The more money you make, the tendency is to spend more, and you'll be just as broke.

(But then again, I'm 24, so that might have impacted my views).

PM if you wish.

bad weather, areas of (Newark and Camden), and will have confrontations from time to time

My job puts me in those situations, not in Newark or Camden, but in other, for lack of a better term, lousy areas. The raise you speak of is significant, if benefits such as H/C , pension etc go along with it and the opportunity for advancement, go for it.

What's your ultimate career path? Are you at the edge of existence right now and how will you financially plan to save the extra income you will be making? Can this opportunity be used as a stepping stone in the future or is it a dead end? After 10 years, when you get sick of doing this dangerous job, will you be able to transition to a "job for an older man"??

$18K is significant if you can save the majority of that money - but if it costs you your life then $18K isn't worth a dime.

PM if you wish.

My job puts me in those situations, not in Newark or Camden, but in other, for lack of a better term, lousy areas. The raise you speak of is significant, if benefits such as H/C , pension etc go along with it and the opportunity for advancement, go for it.

I should have added, on those days when the wind is whipping up your ass and its 0 degrees and snowing your gonna question your sanity.....

Personally I would do it. I am not concerned about confrontations. I work in Newark alot and Paterson and sepnt many a night in the wee smalls in these parts. It is far from pretty but it's about how you carry yourself.