JonF

Scored a Benelli Super Nova Tactical today

I was passing by Effingers last week and dropped in for the hell of it. Looking through the racks i spotted this little fellow on consignment. I had been wanting a gun like this for a while for HD and just messing around with but a tactical style 12ga with ghost sights was going to cost some coin, even from Mossberg, so i never followed through. When i saw this slick little beauty in like new condition, i had to pull the trigger. Effingers isn't exactly known for thier smoking deals so for what they were asking, i especially couldn't pass it up. I sent a few rounds of slugs through it today and am loving the ghost rings. The plethora of post Halloween pumpkin surplus can't come soon enough! :mrgreen:

2010-07-17%2017.20.41.jpg

I really like these ghost ring sites. I've always had a little trouble with typical rudimentary scatter gun sites

When shooting slugs so these are a piece of cake. I could have bought a mossy or870 for less butthey always skimp on the sights on the cheap guns.

That is very very nice. When I bought my Benelli Supernova, I was looking and wanting the Tactical model. On St. Patrick's Day I was in Dick's in Fairless Hills and I have given up drinking, and I wound up deciding I would have spent a few hundred that night anyway if I went out, why not get something worthwhile? I would up getting an INCREDIBLE deal on what is apparently the most expensive Supernova in the books (with the exception of the camo models) , with the 24" Fiber Optic-sight barrel, SteadyGrip pistol grip, etc. so I bought it , and was psyched.

But after the initial excitement wore off I was never completely comfortable with it. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, and that 24" barrel is just too long for me to be swinging up and pointing in HD situations. It was drilled and tapped, so I figured I would just buy a Ghost Ring barrel and have a ring installed on the receiver, but the cost of the 18" HD Ghost Ring barrel was about $200 more than I paid for the entire shotgun and about $20 more than I could go out and BUY an entire Benelli SNT. So I was a little jaded from the get go.

I didn't buy the Benelli M2 Tactical I fell in love with in Jan, then I bought a Supernova but compromised on the config, and just never was happy. I am very jealous of yours, it looks very sweet. Just what I wanted, really.

Jon I have not put any 3.5" through, but it was a selling point for me... I doubt I'll ever USE it, but it did make me feel good that if SHTF , anything marked "12 Gauge" would work...

Besides extreme hunting what would 3.5" be useful for, tho, really? Esp. from a tactical shotgun point of view. I am a big fan of Hornady TAP buckshot, real nice...Dick's was closing them out at $7.97 a five pack, which is nice for premium HD 00 Buck. (at 2 3/4" that is)

i was just curious what sort of punishment it delivers this side of the buttstock. :mrgreen:

i dunno what they're for... mostly turkey loads i think or maybe for those obscene bolt action scatter guns with 40" barrels that you can pick geese out of the sky with. When i first saw that it could take magnum shells, i thought, "hmmm, this one goes to eleven!" and that was a selling point for me too.

i've previously only tried 2.75" shells and the store only had those and 3" for sale so i got some of both to compare. i have to say, 3" shells supply a noticeable increase in recoil and sound, so another half inch will probably be even more fun! 8-)

Jonf I will say, when I got my Supernova at Dick's, they had a regular Nova, in light-ish camo, with like a HUUUUGE barrel, this mother trucker would have sniped hajji's in Fallujah from rooftops... I guess I'm not a hunter and if I was, it probably wouldn't be birds , but this mama jama was BIG.

Very Nice!!! I was considering that model, # 20160, or model # 20155 which is the same thing with Comfortech stocks but I ended up with a 870 Police Magnum instead. The LPA ghost ring sights are awesome and quite expensive to add to any shotgun. You can add different inserts for the front and rear sights like Tritium and Fiber Optic.

I had a Nova H2O and I can tell you from first hand experience that shooting 3.5'' Magnum OO Buck borders on the realm of insanity. The recoil is more fierce than any shoulder fired weapon I've ever fired. Far more than any rifle I've ever fired. I shot it at an indoor range in PA and everyone stopped what they were doing to see what was making such a noise.

That is what happens when you are just stopping in. I figured I'd just go on a date with this girl and now she is my wife. One kid later and we figured we'd stop in the local shelter to see what dogs they had. Now I have a wife, kids, and a dog. I need to start just stopping in the local shops around here.

Good find. I am currently in the market for a tactical myself.

That is what happens when you are just stopping in. I figured I'd just go on a date with this girl and now she is my wife. One kid later and we figured we'd stop in the local shelter to see what dogs they had. Now I have a wife, kids, and a dog. I need to start just stopping in the local shops around here.

Recommendation - don't drop into a random bar - otherwise *POOF* mistress.

You, Sir, have made the Best. Post. Ever.

That should be made into a t-shirt or something.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You, Sir, have made the Best. Post. Ever.

That should be made into a t-shirt or something.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:happy-jumpeveryone: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-goodpost: :text-goodpost: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:

Recommendation - don't drop into a random bar - otherwise *POOF* mistress.

Only through experience can you know that Daniel. God bless you.