Applied for 3 PP on 5-4, they did not even send referalls yet. I called last week and told waiting for mental health. BS. My last group took 4 months. I think I pissed them off for applying for 3 more the day I picked up last group.

Ive been waiting for about 3 weeks and dont expect a call for another 3 or 4 , i dont know how big your police depts are but i know that alot of these smaller towns dont have the man power to do this stuff and believe me these are not on the PRIORITY list !!!!!!!

I applied for my initial FID and 2 PPs in Berkeley on May 12. I called after 8 weeks and was told they are waiting on some forms. Contacted one of my references today and he has not been contacted, 10 1/2 weeks after my application. It figures that, after all of these years without a FID, when I do decide to get it, I live in what seems to be the town with the most delay and/or laziness. So much for shooting with my 9 year-old-son this summer. Maybe by Christmas?

Compeletly unacceptable. You should make one more call. Talk to the guy who does the permitting. Inform him of the time this is taking. Tell him the law. Tell him you are going to contact an attorney because you feel that you have been defacto denied. Then you guys should have attorneys call. For a couple of bucks, I would hope a decent attorney cant help someone at the PD 'prioritize' their permitting....such a shame.

Also, I would call my local assembly/senate person's office and talk to some people there.

Ask them to lean a bit since it is so far over the timeframe allowed by law.

Berkeley Twp. is TERRIBLE! Took me almost 6mths to get my initial FID and 2 PP's. Took almost 4 mths to get two additional PP's. Took my Wife 6mths for a name change. The only time they are quick is the day you pick up PP's you submit for more PP's. That way they dont do the reference mail outs and even this takes 2 weeks.....terrible.

-Scott

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/divorg/invest/firearms-invest-unit.html

Bookmarked this after ready a forum post. Some feel that if you call the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit they will go to bat for you and remind the local PD that they are not in compliance. Not sure how this all works out in practice.

http://njgunpermitattorney.com/

This lawyer has some interesting stuff on his site. If for no other purpose, I've read all his blogs and comments. Sometimes when the Chief finds out you are over 30 days he/she steps in and fast tracks things. They don't want headaches or bad press. I've read that a polite letter informing the chief that the PD is stepping all over state law and your permits are over 30 days may gets things going.

UPDATE!!!

Berkeley Police called and said that NJSP has returned the ink fingerprints, demanding digital finger prints. I have an appt. with SagMorpho in 2 weeks.

The good news in this is that.....

1) I was able to ask about the status of the rest of the paperwork. References have finally been sent out and we are just waiting on prints. When I take my SagMorpho receipt in, I will ask them to fast track my application.

2) I was able to up my handgun permits from 2 to 6. I have no intention of getting 6, but I do have things I want to buy and my father in law is going to give me a once-fired, in the wax bag in the box, High Standard Duramatic. I am going to try to convince my father to part with his inherited Beretta 92fs that he does not care for. So, 1 or 2 permits used already. I want to pick up a used SW .38 or .357 revolver. My ultimate plan is to save up for a Browning Hi Power (shot one a few years ago and LOVED it). The other permits might just get tossed.

There was a whole stack, 6 inches tall, of applicants in a pile that I assume had their ink prints returned also.

The clerk at Berkeley says that the NJSP decided this in June, but did not return the prints until this week. That woman at the window at Berkeley PD was very nice, understanding and helpful. I guess the delay is on the NJSP end of things. On a related note, I bought a used gun safe from a police officer from up north. He handles the FIDs in his department and says the delay is with NJSP, not the locals.

Just sounds fishy thay they are blaming the NJSP when other twps get there stuff done in half or even a quarter of the time that it takes Berkeley. That would lead me to believe that the state isnt holding things up at all.

Good luck with the rest of your process, hope it happens quicky for you.

-Scott

I applied for 3 PP on May 5. they sent out referals 0n Aug.16. I have dig prints on record. Almost 4 months for permits? Still don't have

3mths to send out the reference letters!!! Got to love our town!! Im already looking to move but not only out of this town....out of NJ all together.

-Scott

I read something in the paper that part of your town is trying to succeed due to lack of municipal services. Something like 1100 out of 26000 households footing 1/3 the tax bill. That town appears tobe about to implode. 6 months might be a quick turnaround time if they have to lay people off.

3mths to send out the reference letters!!! Got to love our town!! Im already looking to move but not only out of this town....out of NJ all together.

-Scott

Have you had a conversation with the Police Chief yet?

If anyone has a copy of one of the reference letters that are sent out, please post it. I would like to take a look at it. Since no additional forms are allowed by law, I wonder if anyone has ever challenged the reference letter.

I read something in the paper that part of your town is trying to succeed due to lack of municipal services. Something like 1100 out of 26000 households footing 1/3 the tax bill. That town appears tobe about to implode. 6 months might be a quick turnaround time if they have to lay people off.

That follows the NJ model... 2,000,000 people in the private sector flipping the bill for the 90,000 state employees and 6,700,000 tax beneficiaries...