njluger

HK45 Shoots Like the Dream - Would Like to Try a P30L w/ LEM

I was down in NC (talk about a a gun friendly state!) and got to shoot a buddy's HK45. That thing shoots like a dream! The perceived recoil felt like I was shooting a 9mm (and I was shooting factory .45 loads). The amazing ergos that everyone writes about on the forums are real - the grip fits like it's custom molded to your hand. The gun is also amazingly accurate! After this range trip, I got bit by the HK bug.

I'm looking at the P30L since I've figured if the HK45 was so easy to shoot, the HK P30L must be even easier. Reading about the LEM trigger makes it very intriguing for me too. Anyone own a P30L w/ LEM? I'm a member at SCFGPA in Bridgewater which is a nice small range to shoot at.

Well the HK45 that I shot was the da/sa variant, not the LEM trigger. The DA wasn't horribly heavy, nothing like it is on my CZ, but it was a pretty long pull. The SA was really nice. Smooth, crisp break with no creep at all. It had a pretty short reset that had just enough tactile feel to let you know when to squeeze the trigger again. All in all, one of the best da/sa triggers that I've felt...one that I'd actually feel comfortable leaving stock. When you handle this pistol, it really feels like a lot of design and quality control went into it. The fit and finish really came through in the trigger.

The LEM seems like a very interesting design and that's why I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with it on a P30. It's basically a light DAO trigger which has 2 points of reset. Upon racking the slide, the hammer drops back down but the mainspring remains in a half-cocked state. The initial pull on the trigger is very light, until you get to the very end, where the mainspring is cocked the rest of the way, then you feel about an 8#.pull (or 4.5# with light LEM trigger). after the gun fires, the hammer is dropped again and the mainspring is left again in a halfcocked state. Now as the shooter you have two reset points, short and long. You can wait for the first short reset or you can let the trigger out all the way for the long reset. No worries about having to decock the pistol if you're done shooting. Seems like a innovative design....brings the behaviors found in striker fired pistols (glocks, xds, m&p) to a hammer fired pistol.

The HK45 is an amazing weapon and feels great to shoot.

I have a USPC 9mm with the light LEM trigger and I like it a lot. It takes some getting use to but after a few boxes of slow, concentrated fire you really get to see what it's all about. The reset on my USPC is very short but and follow up shots can come quick, on the P30 the reset is a bit longer though. The problem with the P30L V2 LEM is that it does not exist yet, at least not in the US. A small batch of 500 P30LS V1 LEM's come over by mistake but they are an extremely odd variant. Now the P30LS V1 LEM has the light LEM trigger pull but frame mounted manual saftey as well... which is redundant when shooting/operating a DAO weapon. I badly want a P30L LEM without a manual safety and HK has been chumming the waters to see it's potential. Look here: http://www.hk-usa.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6769

The P30LS V1 LEM's were supposed to come over as P30S V3's (DA/SA) not the LEM or the long slide. This is what HK had to say: http://www.hk-usa.com/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

P30LS LEM V1 (4.5lb pull)

p30ls.jpg

As you can see the is no rear mounted decocking lever found on the V3 (DA/SA) and it's got a ambi safety.

p30ls2.jpg

I have a P30 LEM v2 I think. 7 pound trigger. I need to thow in the new spring kit to make it a 4-5lb trigger. Anyway, if you want to try it out, let me know. I can bring it to the range.

Personally I found the Ergo's of the USP HORRIBLE! It is Night and Day between a USP and a P30L. The exact issues I had with the USP is exactly what they changed in the P30. Most notably is the top section of the back strap. For me and many others it was too fat, too wide and the blocky corner protuded smack into the thumb nuckle closest to your hand. The P30L was like putting on an old comfortable glove!

I had a P2000 with the LEM trigger. Nice gun and great ergos, but I was never able to shoot as accurately as i wanted with that long trigger pull. I probably would have been better off with SA/DA. Same thing happened to me with Bryan's P30.

I have a P30 LEM v2 I think. 7 pound trigger. I need to thow in the new spring kit to make it a 4-5lb trigger. Anyway, if you want to try it out, let me know. I can bring it to the range.

Thanks for the offer, what range do you shoot at?

Thanks for all for all of the comments too everyone! It's clear that I'm def going to have to shoot a LEM trigger first before making a final decision.

I had a P2000 with the LEM trigger. Nice gun and great ergos, but I was never able to shoot as accurately as i wanted with that long trigger pull. I probably would have been better off with SA/DA. Same thing happened to me with Bryan's P30.

Its only a long pull if you let it out all the way.

Its only a long pull if you let it out all the way.

True enough, but in a SHTF situation you do not want your finger riding the trigger ding a "half-pull" and relying on muscle memory not to pull it too far. The other option is a long yank to get the hammer back then forward again. Neither worked well for me. Another gun sold and gone. :)

I fired my P30 last night and actually found it not hard at all to get use to, Inside 2 mags, I had the trigger reset done and my last full magazine, I wheeled the last mag and was within a paper plate size at 10 yards.

This is the third time I shot the gun and I love the Sig da/sa....so.

njluger - I have a 9mm P30L. It is a FANTASTIC gun. I would like to try the HK45 myself. Where do you shoot, maybe we can set something up?

I shoot up in Bridgewater, NJ, at the Somerset County Fish and Game Protective Association (http://www.scfgpa.org/). I don't have a HK45 - as I mentioned in my original post, I was down in North Carolina shooting a friend's. I'm up for meeting up though to shoot the P30L and I do have a nicely tuned CZ 75B if you're interested in trying it out :) Guests can be brought in at my range.

I used to work up at the Tandy/Radio Shack Bridgewater Computer Center, around the time that the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. I am sure it is LONG gone by now. It was right next to Somerville Lumber on Rt 22 (which is prolly ALSO long gone by now), up near Chimney Rock Road.

ANYWAY.......... I am not sure where the range is located. Let me know, and I will see if I can arrange to meet you up there (I am down in Manahawkin, NJ - HEY, but I STILL have *ALL* my teeth - OK, well *MOST* of them - OK well SOME of them - OH CRAP!).

Wednesday, I took my HK 45 and a new Sig 226 out to Fort Dix. I shot about 100 rounds through each gun. To my surprise, they were almost identical in feel, recoil and accuracy. I honestly could not tell you which one I liked better. The Sig is a little heavier. Neither one of these guns will be for sale for a long time!

That is some good info, voz. I am considering both guns. I love my P30L, so H&K sounds good to me, But I also liked what I was hearing about the Sig. Prolly the best thing I could do, is try 'em both out and see what feels the best.

Thanks.

Hey, not to be a bigger pain in the ass than usual, by why aren't we seeing your name come up in our Usergroup. Is it something we said. :lol::lol:

Frank, you haven't seen me on that discussion because I'm against the 2nd amendment. I think all guns should be registered and taxed by the govt. I also think we should close all churches, synagogues etc. and build special govt. buildings where we can all worship Pope Obama, Bishop Reid, and Sister Nancy

I have to go now....they only let me out of the hospital a few hours a day!