Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

A plea, for a newbie

I am very much into hunting with my new shotty.

But I am a New York City boy and have never done the "man drive" or whatever else hunters do (but I can shoot).

I am interested in the hunteing duck, goose, deer, and bear, but I am not foolish enough to try it alone. If there is anyone out there that can take a good study out there with them I would be very happy. My biggest concern is meat health, the less gamey the better.

We have time and I am stilll taking the classes, but I Have a lot of questions.

Out of the four animals mentioned, I have only pursued deer, and have made 3 successful trips since I got my license(all on public hunting grounds). I am by no means an expert, but every deer I've shot was delicious... what exactly would you like to know? Also, if you'd like to join me during Permit Shotgun season, I'd be more than happy to bring you along.

Out of the four animals mentioned, I have only pursued deer, and have made 3 successful trips since I got my license(all on public hunting grounds). I am by no means an expert, but every deer I've shot was delicious... what exactly would you like to know? Also, if you'd like to join me during Permit Shotgun season, I'd be more than happy to bring you along.

The biggest question I have is, is my GEO Prizm going to work for getting the bigger game home? The trunk is fairly large I an I imagine I could put the deer in a wrap of some sort. But I don't know much about that part of the hunt yet.

I just bought a new shotgun for permit shotgun season so that would be great!

The biggest question I have is, is my GEO Prizm going to work for getting the bigger game home? The trunk is fairly large I an I imagine I could put the deer in a wrap of some sort. But I don't know much about that part of the hunt yet.

Don't put the deer in the trunk, you'll get blood everywhere. Tie it to the roof. Here's some pics of my uncle's latest trophy...

14440_165313338762_588508762_2842431_1012592_n.jpg

14440_165313383762_588508762_2842438_3924937_n.jpg

14440_165313393762_588508762_2842440_5581377_n.jpg

Personally I have one of these for the trailer hitch on my gf's Forester:

cargo-carrier-hitch%20mounted-open.jpg

Don't put the deer in the trunk, you'll get blood everywhere. Tie it to the roof. Here's some pics of my uncle's latest trophy...

i'll take a ride, we can throw it in the back of my F150. Let me know when you guys go, I need to learn how to hunt anyway.

This is a terrible idea and should NEVER be done.

If you can't conceal it inside of a vehicle, make sure you have a deer bag to put it into to transport it.

I only found this so far in the digest:

Be discrete when transporting your deer to and from a check station,

butcher or taxidermist; rinse away excess blood, turn the field-dressed

side to face in toward your vehicle and push the tongue back into the

deer

I only found this so far in the digest:
Be discrete when transporting your deer to and from a check station,

butcher or taxidermist; rinse away excess blood, turn the field-dressed

side to face in toward your vehicle and push the tongue back into the

deer

HUnters ed classes say that the hood is a no go because it offends people as well as heats up the meat, making it spoil faster.

But in general, the classes make it a point that people are offended by such a display and that it hurts you and other hunters.

It's a trophy. Something to be proud of.

Exactly. Bagging any deer on public hunting ground in this state is something to be proud of, and to hell with anyone who has a problem with that.

My main reason for carrying a deer on a hitch-tray is for convenience, though.

Recommended Hunting Etiquette IIRC, not necessarily the law

True. The classes never state it as such and I am not trying to make any point other than relay what I read (I just did all the online classes WOO HOO!). They merely say that carrying a deer, or any other 'harversted game" in such a way offends people and that in turn causes fellow hunters and hunting grief, in the long run.

BTW, I have my basic class coming up on the 21st at Black River WMA. Anyone else going to be there?

Just the opposite here. It's a trophy. Something to be proud of.

I agree but unfortunately my neighbors don't see it that way.

If it wasn't for the smell I'd blast a kitten and tie it to the grill of my car with the paws stretched out. Then again if I did it during Christmas season the temperature should be low enough to slow the rate of decay. :think:

Recommended Hunting Etiquette IIRC, not necessarily the law

True. The classes never state it as such and I am not trying to make any point other than relay what I read (I just did all the online classes WOO HOO!). They merely say that carrying a deer, or any other 'harversted game" in such a way offends people and that in turn causes fellow hunters and hunting grief, in the long run.

BTW, I have my basic class coming up on the 21st at Black River WMA. Anyone else going to be there?

You should change it to the 15th at clinton WMA. Im instructing shotgun for that class 8-)

I do believe that the law says that it must not be concealed.

I seem to remember something in my Hunter Ed class about that :think:

:waits for glennp:

Old law said you had to show some sorta part of the deer. Now there is no law. It doesnt have to be concealed nor in the open. However, the class stresses that only 2% of NJ supports hunting, 2% opposes hunting, and %96 couldnt care less. If you start strapping bloody deer to your roof, guess what that other %96 will think...

I do believe that the law says that it must not be concealed.

I seem to remember something in my Hunter Ed class about that :think:

:waits for glennp:

Old law said you had to show some sorta part of the deer. Now there is no law. It doesnt have to be concealed nor in the open. However, the class stresses that only 2% of NJ supports hunting, 2% opposes hunting, and %96 couldnt care less. If you start strapping bloody deer to your roof, guess what that other %96 will think...

In America, they would think "Mmmmm... venison sausage. I hope they have enough for everyone." Here in PRNJ, probably not.

If it wasn't for the smell I'd blast a kitten and tie it to the grill of my car with the paws stretched out. Then again if I did it during Christmas season the temperature should be low enough to slow the rate of decay. :think:

That would be fine....as long as you stick the tounge back in.

Have the little bugger stuffed and you can show him year round.