JonF

Whats your favorite pistol grip for the AR platform?

And why?

I realize this is subjective to the same argument that pits glock vs 1911 vs whatever, but there's usually some truth or merit to peoples' preferences. Whatever your preference is, good ergonomics is always a plus for extended shooting sessions and overall enjoyment.

My first AR build started with the std grip but that pretty much sucked right away so i picked up a CAA grip with interchangeable front and back straps. My hands are large so i figured i would slap on the large straps and have at it but that ultimately wasn't the case (nor any other combo for this grip). It really just lacked palm swell which i find help make for a comfortable grip for me. Along with that, I also noticed that the web support was too thin which made my hand ride too high and so the angle wasn't comfortable. A Year or so later, after handling a few guns down the road, i found the DPMS panther grip with the palm rest was damn near perfect. Now i'm doing another build and after looking around at nearly everything out there, i decided to try the Ergo Tactical with the palm swell. it looks practically the same as the panther grip without the platform so i'm hoping its gonna feel the same.

good

DPMS Panther grip with palm shelf

ERGO Tactical Deluxe (hopefully)

not so good

CAA with interchangable straps

I went with the Hogue grip for mine. I like most of their products anyway so I might be a little biased. The feel on mine feels like most other Hogue grips, which is what I wanted. It also comes with a little storage compartment for batteries too, if your into that kinda thing (I am).

...I decided to try the Ergo Tactical with the palm swell. it looks practically the same as the panther grip without the platform so i'm hoping its gonna feel the same...

Excellent choice.

I just installed the Magpul MIAD Grip with alternate front and backstraps. I used the largest palm swell it came with. While it feels bigger in the hand than the standard A2 grip, I could still use it a little bigger for my hands. The best part for me is the beavertail on the backstrap which goes up the back of the lower. The storage plug in the grip is a nice feature as well. I shoot M4's all day at work and the standard A2 grip was killing my right hand. It's so small, I developed trigger finger in my ring finger that required a cortisone injection into the tendon. All cured now but I wear a gel padded grip glove to alter the ergonomics.

Try looking into a grip with palm swell as well as strap thickness. The CAA i had has various replaceable straps but it was never enough to be comfortable since the width is still kinda thin. The panther and ergo have a much thicker profile side to side which adds to the overall bulk of the grip. For me, this ultimately allows the positioning of my trigger finger in a more neutral position rather than feeling too close and cramped up.

Here's a good pic illustrating the difference.

gripsPU.gif

my ergo grip came today and its every bit as good as it looks!

Why didn't you tell me about this sooner, chris? :lol:

I wish I had known. I had a spare and just gave it to the person that bought my Spikes AR-22 just to get rid of it.

I went with the Hogue grip for mine. I like most of their products anyway so I might be a little biased. The feel on mine feels like most other Hogue grips, which is what I wanted. It also comes with a little storage compartment for batteries too, if your into that kinda thing (I am).

:text-+1:

Agreed 100%