Wolfy

Howell PD A++

With all the negative posts local PD's i wanted to share an experience that shows not all PD's are bad. I stopped down 2 weeks ago to drop off my application for PP. While there I got into a conversation with the lady behind the counter. She told me that it got crazy right after Obama was elected and because of the back log she could not process the applications in the 30 days like the statute says. She said she felt bad applicants had to wait longer than the 30 days because of the NJSP backlog. Then I asked about the OGOM and how towns are telling applicants that they may only apply for one at a time. She told me that she cannot tell me how many I may apply for if I want ten I can apply for ten. This wonderful lady then said "I cannot tell you to apply for fewer permits because that would be denying you your rights. If there wasn't a wall of glass between me and her I would have hugged her. I dropped off my paperwork Mon and my references had there letters by Wed.

I submit this post because the popular belief is it is always malicious and the Chief's fault. It could be the detective or a bureaucrat handling the paperwork that is intentionally delaying the process or is misinformed or just doesn't care. Like one member did he informed his PD and they fixed it.

She said she felt bad applicants had to wait longer than the 30 days because of the NJSP backlog.

That's great Joe, but I don't buy this line. In Freehold Twp, 2 years in a row I had no problem. It took me 3 weeks last year and 4 weeks this year. Other towns some guys get it even quicker. If the backlog was at the State Police, everyone would experience the delays.

I think it has more to do with each individual town.

My PD is really good about it too, and if the Det. who normally handles the paperwork isn't available, there is always someone else tasked to handle it. When I did apply for my PP's (three), I received a typed letter from the Chief just stating what OGAM was, and that it was my responsibility to abide by it-- but it wasn't chastising or condescending, just a point of reference.

My PD is really good about it too, and if the Det. who normally handles the paperwork isn't available, there is always someone else tasked to handle it. When I did apply for my PP's (three), I received a typed letter from the Chief just stating what OGAM was, and that it was my responsibility to abide by it-- but it wasn't chastising or condescending, just a point of reference.

Mine was really good about getting mine in less than 4 weeks. I like to think it had something to do with the nice woman who took my application. I dropped a wallet that I found stuffed with money off a few months prior. She remembered me and told me how grateful the guy was when he came to pick it up. Usually I'm a proponent of the saying "No good deed goes unpunished", but in this case maybe that wasn't the case. :)

Hmmm, not to be cop bashing but in 2005 when I was still living in Howell, I picked the forms up and was told they only accept them 2 days a week, and that I had to have an interview with the Chief. Has that changed? I would doubt there was a backlog then, they told me at least 3 months. More power to them if they are/were one of the better ones-

One of their detectives gave me very accurate information after a burglary. It was much appreciated to speak with a professional, unlike the actual town I live in and pay detectives $98k per year. Howell must have a good code of conduct and hire good people.