Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJM981

Receiving a ticket in adjoining town

Can you get a ticket from a municipal officer outside of the municipality the officer is from. I saw a guy getting one from a cop from the neighboring town and started wondering. :think: I know if the offense was committed in the other town and he pulls him over in the neighboring town he can write a ticket. This happens a lot though on this particular stretch of road which borders both towns apparently down the middle of the road. Town A is on the westbound side and town B is across the street going eastbound.

Im pretty sure for traffic violations they cannot do anything outside the jurisdiction of their own town. Of course if they are a statey that doesnt apply, or county sheriff. That or Ive been extremely lucky when the LE of one town tailed the shit out of me and I went up on one or blasted off after crossing the border :twisted:

I've been pulled over in my town by a cop in the neighboring town. He called one from my town who actually issued the ticket. I asked that same question and was told that they share enforcement. It's bullshit, but wasn't worth fighting. A no win situation.

I've been pulled over in my town by a cop in the neighboring town. He called one from my town who actually issued the ticket. I asked that same question and was told that they share enforcement. It's bs, but wasn't worth fighting. A no win situation.

Each town has it's own force. I was just curious on the legality of it. I work strange hours and I know it's just a matter of time till I get pulled over at 4am for a "safety check" or some other bs while they're fishing for a DUI they're not going to get. If it's a cop from the other town I'd like to tell him to piss off if I can. I've interacted with a bunch of the guys from my town and they seem reasonable. I'm worried about "The Others" ;)

It was my understanding they can pull you over in neighboring town, but not next county?

Will wait for LEO members to chime in.

Neighboring town pulls people lover in My town ALL the time for violations that occur in theirs, which is across county lines. As long as the Violation occurs in their presnece in THEIR municipality there is no issue. What you CANT do is issue Summonses outside of your own City/Municipality, as the summonses are Court-Specific. Obviously County Sheriff's/PD can write for any Mun in that county, and State can write for any Municipality at all by writing in the court.

I CAN Write for a violation I observe in another municipality..but I would have to go to that Court and write the summons there to be issued by mail. I can't just sign a summons from another guy's book in his town.

I've been pulled over in my town by a cop in the neighboring town. He called one from my town who actually issued the ticket. I asked that same question and was told that they share enforcement. It's bs, but wasn't worth fighting. A no win situation.

Each town has it's own force. I was just curious on the legality of it. I work strange hours and I know it's just a matter of time till I get pulled over at 4am for a "safety check" or some other bs while they're fishing for a DUI they're not going to get. If it's a cop from the other town I'd like to tell him to piss off if I can. I've interacted with a bunch of the guys from my town and they seem reasonable. I'm worried about "The Others" ;)

I DONT wrote about 90% of the stops I make..IMO a verbal warning does as much as a Summons.. You ahve to do something Dumb for me to stop you... HOWEVER, if you tell me to "Piss Off" or some other asshattery, That "Discretion" that I use to NOT write the ticket most times WILL be used instead to write the violation.

I DONT wrote about 90% of the stops I make..IMO a verbal warning does as much as a Summons.. You ahve to do something Dumb for me to stop you... HOWEVER, if you tell me to "Piss Off" or some other asshattery, That "Discretion" that I use to NOT write the ticket most times WILL be used instead to write the violation.

I'm well aware that being a douche gets you nowhere. :naughty: I work with the public as well and use my discretion in assessing extra costs based on the same philosophy. I'm always very respectful to the police. I was merely inquiring whether or not municipal officers can issue summonses out of their jurisdiction. It seems to constantly occur in the town in which I reside. Is there a possibility of an inter-municipal arrangement or would that be prohibited by a state statute or some asshattery like that?

I'm aware you can be pulled over in town B by officer of town A if an offense is committed in town A and you continue into town B. The situations I'm referring to are as follows:

Infraction is committed in town A with officer from town B:

1. Traveling in the other direction(apparently the double yellow splits the 2 towns :roll: )

2. Parked in town B shooting radar at vehicles in town A

or

3. traveling behind vehicle in town A. I tried to keep it simple so I hope that makes sense.

p.s. I would never tell a cop :law-police: to "piss off". My intention would be to insinuate that he's out of his jurisdiction, bid him a pleasant morning, and continue on my way without unnecessary delay. :D :auto-layrubber:

I could be very wrong here, but since Title 39 covers the entire state, an officer can stop someone for a traffic violation anywhere they see it occur. I have also been told that 'off duty' cops can mail you a ticket if they see you violate a traffic law and get your plates.

I very well could be pulling this out of left field, but somewhere in the back of my head this is vaguely familiar.

I'm well aware that being a douche gets you nowhere. :naughty: I work with the public as well and use my discretion in assessing extra costs based on the same philosophy. I'm always very respectful to the police. I was merely inquiring whether or not municipal officers can issue summonses out of their jurisdiction. It seems to constantly occur in the town in which I reside. Is there a possibility of an inter-municipal arrangement or would that be prohibited by a state statute or some asshattery like that?

I'm aware you can be pulled over in town B by officer of town A if an offense is committed in town A and you continue into town B. The situations I'm referring to are as follows:

Infraction is committed in town A with officer from town B:

1. Traveling in the other direction(apparently the double yellow splits the 2 towns :roll: )

2. Parked in town B shooting radar at vehicles in town A

or

3. traveling behind vehicle in town A. I tried to keep it simple so I hope that makes sense.

p.s. I would never tell a cop :law-police: to "piss off". My intention would be to insinuate that he's out of his jurisdiction, bid him a pleasant morning, and continue on my way without unnecessary delay. :D :auto-layrubber:

Usually if the Street is a Border between the two towns, Curb-to-curb is considred fair game, that is anything that happens on the "Street" can be handled by either municipality violations-wise. At least that's the way we do it where I work. #2.. Again It all depends, as long as the speed continues into their jurisdiction, or again, if it's the ajoining street, the speeder is fair game..WE dont do it, but the neighboring town does. They also sit on our "Side of the Line" when some of their bars let out so they can keep an eye on the crowds. #3, again NOT everyone hs MDC's i've had instances where it takes a couple of minutes for a lookup to come back before I made a stop.

Usually if the Street is a Border between the two towns, Curb-to-curb is considred fair game, that is anything that happens on the "Street" can be handled by either municipality violations-wise. At least that's the way we do it where I work.

KpdPipes, that's the way its been since at least 1974 everywhere as afr as I know. I worked in a town that had a border that ran down the middle of the street. I think the statute giving authority to do this is buried somewhere in Title 39.

I got pulled over on one of those roads down here when I had my winders tinted and my loud ass muffler and front plate in the windshield when I was 17. He was approaching, and something in my teenage mind said "rev the engine".. so I see him pull a u-turn a few hundred feet back and I just pulled over. He was like "Why did you pull over?" and I said something like.. "no sense in making your job harder".. so after I gave him my ID and such, I seen a cop from the other town pull up behind him, so I thought I was getting a ticket.. turns out they just BS'ed on the side of the road for a minute or two and then let me go with nothing. I don't know if the other guy was called in per protocol, or he just happened to see another cop he knew.

I got pulled over on one of those roads down here when I had my winders tinted and my loud a** muffler and front plate in the windshield when I was 17. He was approaching, and something in my teenage mind said "rev the engine".. so I see him pull a u-turn a few hundred feet back and I just pulled over. He was like "Why did you pull over?" and I said something like.. "no sense in making your job harder".. so after I gave him my ID and such, I seen a cop from the other town pull up behind him, so I thought I was getting a ticket.. turns out they just BS'ed on the side of the road for a minute or two and then let me go with nothing. I don't know if the other guy was called in per protocol, or he just happened to see another cop he knew.

If my guys come across an officer on a car stop in a neighboring jurisdiction they will stop as backup just in case.

I got pulled over on one of those roads down here when I had my winders tinted and my loud a** muffler and front plate in the windshield when I was 17. He was approaching, and something in my teenage mind said "rev the engine".. so I see him pull a u-turn a few hundred feet back and I just pulled over. He was like "Why did you pull over?" and I said something like.. "no sense in making your job harder".. so after I gave him my ID and such, I seen a cop from the other town pull up behind him, so I thought I was getting a ticket.. turns out they just BS'ed on the side of the road for a minute or two and then let me go with nothing. I don't know if the other guy was called in per protocol, or he just happened to see another cop he knew.

If my guys come across an officer on a car stop in a neighboring jurisdiction they will stop as backup just in case.

this.. we do it all the time.