Sign in to follow this  
dave545

HELP!! BULLET PUSHING INTO .45 BRASS??

Hey i have noticed that on some of the loads the bullet is being pushed into the brass very easily by just my fingers. We tried to adjust the final crimp but it is still happening sometimes. Anyone know what can solve this problem. I have the Hornady AP loader

sounds like too light crimp tension on the bullet - if they are getting pushed back during loading cycle you will be getting excessive pressure - lead or jacketed bullets ? - are you over expanding the case ? -

Are you using the seater/crimp die that came with your three die set? If so, chances are that it is a roll-crimp die. For semi-auto pistol (rimless) cartridges that headspace on the mouth of the case (theoretically) you need to use a separate taper-crimp die.

The die that came with your set will have a shoulder in it. This shoulder rolls the case mouth into the cannelure or crimp groove, if there is one - if there isn't, you will lessen the neck tension on the bullet. Roll-crimps should be used for revolvers - especially heavy recoiling ones.

A taper-crimp die swages the case against the bullet (no shoulder in the die), thus preserving the edge of the case mouth.

Sounds like maybe you are using a standard roll-crimp die.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

it is really only happening to remington brass and S&B brass

Still doesn't answer the question: Are you roll-crimping or taper-crimping? The looseness might be more severe with different brands due to the thickness of the case. If you are already taper-crimping, then I've got nothing. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hey i have noticed that on some of the loads the bullet is being pushed into the brass very easily by just my fingers. We tried to adjust the final crimp but it is still happening sometimes. Anyone know what can solve this problem. I have the Hornady AP loader

As someone else stated, sounds like you are expanding the case neck by letting the expander ball go too deep. Adjust the die to only expand the case neck deep enough to where you want the bullet seated. Some folks bell the case mouth and expand the case neck in one operation, others do it in two operations. Trial and error both to see what works best for you. I would use a taper crimp since the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth.

Do a search. I had this thread on here about a month ago. Col Mortimer helped me out with a counter-intuitive solution. I use a taper crimp(the only type that should be used on 45acp) and I was over crimping and my bullets were setting back. So I also confirmed with Dillon..Touch the case with the die and scew down an additional 1/4-3/8 turn. Problem solved. Just to clarify. these were 200gr SWC.

1.275 the length it says in my book i tried adjusting the sizing die and the seating die but like someone said up top i would need to get a crimp die to use Remington i have read on other forums that people have had the same problem with Remington brass and Hornady loaders

Even without a crimp, I can't push the bullet into the case. Are you sure your bullets and cases are sized correctly? I had a bad batch of bullets once where some of them were under-sized and did not seat properly. Are your cases the same length?

For .45ACP ball ammo, I seat to 1.24 - 1.25 and taper crimp around .469 - .471.

Be Safe