intercooler

ok, here is a dumb question about getting a pistol permit

I already looked in the sticky about FID and did not see the andswer so...

I have just got my FID and my first pistol permit. I know that there is a 30 day period that i cannot buy another hand gun. Fine, but I want to get another permit(actually this time 3 HG permits)

I know i need to need to fill out the same forms again as the fid and have the refernce letters sent out, but what about prints and background check?

what shoul these cost? just the 2 each right?

:deadhorse:

sorry for the dumb question

BTW, the reason I need another HG permit is because I have a PERFECT 1940 luger waiting for me to get it)

I have just got my FID and my first pistol permit.
By JUST, do you mean Friday? The PD might give you a few more on Tuesday for $2 each if they are nice. If any longer ago, as stated, $18 + $2 each and a wait, again.

2 weeks is probably pushing it. I know that in my town it would be a no. You'll probably have to submit a new application. They'll check your references and send another letter to your job.

I agree this permit process is way outdated. The initial FID I understand, but to keep hounding our friend and jobs......it's a bit much. I also find myself feeling rushed to buy when it gets close to my permits expiring. I would like to buy when I see a good deal, or when I want something really. I feel that the whole approach is counter productive.

I agree - it's a lot of BS we have to go through to get another permit, especially having to get friends who may be truly good friends but are not necessarily pro-gun. I mean, it's a pain to have to ask and make sure they follow-up.

I would think since everyone on this board is really into guns and obviously pro-gun, we should get the members of this board together to support each other and provide the 2 references needed. Maybe have a specific section set up for people needing references. I know I would not want to be a reference to a complete stranger, but if I saw someone needing a reference here and I saw their previous postings and agree with what they post etc. I think I would be willing to be a reference. What do you guys think of that idea?

employer is for reference as to you work where you say you do. They may call and verify that you work there, however they wouldn't be asking if you need a gun.

On my initial FID and all my pistol permit applications since then, the PD (Mount Olive) has sent the gun form to my employer, which includes questions like "in your opinion, is this person qualified to own firearms", "how often does this person drink", and "is this person prone to moments of explosive anger". For the FID, the form was just sent to my employer's street address, and got lost in interoffice mail. The permitting officer told me he couldn't issue my permit until he got the form back, giving my employer a de-facto veto on my Second Amendment rights. I ended up picking up another form, walking it to HR myself, and having them fax it over, but if the department had been pathologically anti-gun, as so many Jerseyans are? It could have threatened my job.

Because the officer told me he just needed to verify my place of employment (as if that has anything at all to do with firearms permitting), since then I've included a photocopy of my pay stub with my applications, and a cover letter explaining the issue, and never had an issue.

Interestingly, I just applied for pistol permits a couple weeks ago with the same extra paperwork, and the very next day got a call from the new permitting officer (the old one had retired), explaining that he still needs to try to "verify my employment", but that they no longer block applications if they can't contact an employer. He waits a couple weeks to get the form back, then tries to contact them by phone, and failing that he proceeds with the issuing process. He said the New Jersey Attorney General had "clarified the rules on that".

It's still ridiculous and unacceptable that they alert employers to an employee exercising an unpopular Constitutional right, but it looks like the state may have realized that giving an employer veto power over a fundamental right goes to far even for NJ. There's an outside chance the state sees which way the wind is blowing, and is trying to minimize the damage of the inevitable McDonald suits.

I think you can still get a PP if you're unemployed. I think there was a question like that on some other thread. but yah, dumb rule. I lucked out, there are a few guys at my job that are into guns and the HR Dept. is used to filling out and sending back those forms. also, the guy at the PD asked if there's a particular person in HR to send it to and I gave him the name of the HR Director.