Maksim

USPSA @ Old Bridge 9/26

Guest megaman

It was as always a fun day...I strongly encourage all of you who are interested to come out and give it a try.

People are very accommodating to new shooters, and its really great that we have a crew who regularly comes out and enjoys the camaraderie and skill enhancement....Come out and shoot guys and gals...

Guest megaman

Maks, sorry I didn't meet up with you guys. I got there about 07:45 and started setting up. I was on stage 7, but my first stage. I shoot 3 targets, realized I went passed one and turned back, but passed the 180 degree. I should have just walked backwards, but with the adrenaline running I didn't even realize what I had done until the RO told me. Beginners mistake I guess, but everyone there was very nice, told me that had all been DQ'd before. Like the old motorcycle saying there are two kinds of riders, those who have been down, and those that will. It hasn't dampened my enthusiasm to shoot it again. My mistake, and hopefully I won't make that mistake ever again, although I am sure I will make others. Still looking forward to meeting up with you guys at a future shoot.

We have all been there...I DQ'ed once...now you know and you will never DQ for that reason again...come back next time, and dont get discouraged...I shot like ****! today...but I had fun hanging with the NJGF crew and some of my other shooting buddies...

It was very nice to play with you guys :)

woaaa, leave the door right open there for blasting comments. =) but I am glad you had fun playing with guys. :icon_mrgreen:

jk

Was great... a bit more serious of an event, however did enjoy 2 more stages than usual.

OK, First, the excuses:

1) I got zero sleep the night before

2) The reason I got zero sleep was that I was in a great deal of pain with a possibly abcessed tooth (it has abated considerably today, but plagued me all Sat night and throughout the day Sunday)

3) I'm old , I'm fat and I'm slow

4) Because I'm old, I forgot to take any painkillers on Sunday morning before I left the house

Here's how it went: The plan was to head out about 7:15 AM. I had all my gear packed and ready to go. I knew that this was going to be an all day affair, so I took a cooler with two Pepsi's (caffeine free diet - yeah, I know - colored water) and one Starbucks Frappacino (figured I'd need an afternoon boost). I intended to stop at a Wawa and get some breakfast and fill-out the cooler with three waters - hydration being important. Figured I could also get some kind of painkiller there.

Didn't happen. There are no Wawa's on the entire stretch of Rt 1 and then Rt 18 on the way to the match. I only saw one convenience store on route 1 (A Hess station, ironically enough), but was by it before I realized it was more than just gas. So, no food, no water, no painkiller. Maks did come to my rescue with half an egg sandwich - which is all I had until about 6:30 that night.

Got there at a little after 8 AM and went to work helping with set-up. Registered (well, confirmed - you register on-line) and went through the newbie thing. A bunch of us from NJGF got squaded together.

Let me say that the people that put on this shoot are serious. They have been at this for ten years, and they know what they're about. The stages were amazing in their complications and intricate builds. Walls, portals, steel, paper, specific shoot zones and free fire zones - it was amazing to realize this was all set-up that morning and torn-down that night. I don't know what the total round count was, but it had to be close to 200. There was also a record turnout - something like 84 people and there were seven stages. There were a large number of newbies and unclassified people at one end of the scale and J. J. Racaza (of "Top Shot" fame) at the other end. We started a little after 10 AM and were all done shooting (and largely torn-down) by 4 PM. Amazing efficiency. Adding to that efficiency was the technology they used. Even though a true "techie" would consider it dated, it worked very well - they used Palm Pilots at every stage for score keeping. These could all be dumped into a computer and the numbers crunched so that there are actually results published today.

This was probably a bit ambitious, for me, as a return to the "game" (and it has gotten waaaaaaaay gamier since I did it last) and given the excuse list, I enjoyed it far more in retrospect than during the course of the action. If I were young, fit and properly provisioned for the day, I would have enjoyed it much more. I should have known better. That's not to say I won't continue down this path. It's just that now I know better what to expect. I may try some of the other clubs with less ornate and taxing set-ups (more like what I was used to 23 years ago, I suspect). I would have enjoyed this one a lot more if I wasn'y hungry, dehydrated and in pain ("Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?"). But it was a day on the range, with great people all doing something we love - shooting.

All right, so how'd I do you ask? The quick answer: I finished 69th out of 84 in the overall standings. I finished 21 out of 26 in class (production). Certainly far from stellar results, but given all the above, I was relatively pleased with the way I shot. Given that I did have some experience in this arena, I intentionly avoided the mistake that most newbies make - trying to shoot too fast. In fact I was at the other extreme, shooting slowly and deliberately. It cost me, but as they say, "You can never shoot fast enough to make up for a miss". I only incurred two penalties for the day (damn hostages, don't they know enough to get out of the way?), and believe that I got all my hits (although not 100% positive about that) - just very slowly. Part of the slowness was not due to shooting ability, but more due to being old & fat & sick (see above). I will say that I was very, very pleased with the way my gun ran. Absolutely without a flaw and far more accurate than I - it was a joy to shoot that gun. I was shooting a Sig P226SL in 9mm. I originally bought this gun for "games" and it was a pleasure to see my decision justified. There were a lot of malfunctions in our squad - although to be fair I believe they were mostly ammo related (although one has to ask, would these rounds have functioned in a different gun? Just how gamey are we getting? I suspect a number of lightened mainsprings) focusing around failures to feed and failures to fire - most often attributed to "...those damn Wolf primers...".

I got home, barely made it up the basement stairs, from the garage and, literally, passed out on the couch (after availing myself of several ibuprofen). Woke up at 6:30, feeling somewhat human, fed the dog, fed myself (happy day) and attempted to stay awake for Boardwalk Empire (successfully) - hit the sack at 10 and slept like a rock through the night.

That was my day.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Guest HuntingPaper

We all met him and he even shot one stage with us. Nicest down to earth person!

There were a lot of malfunctions in our squad - although to be fair I believe they were mostly ammo related (although one has to ask, would these rounds have functioned in a different gun? Just how gamey are we getting? I suspect a number of lightened mainsprings) focusing around failures to feed and failures to fire - most often attributed to "...those damn Wolf primers...".

Pizza Bob

Bob,

glad you came out and shot the match. It was (and they always are) a long day at Old Bridge. Always try and get more water than what you think you'll need, some kind of snack/lunch, and keep some advil in your range bag. There are 2 WAWA's near Old Bridge both on Route 18. As far as the malfunctions go, Marlon and I were using the same type of primers in our ammo for our glocks. You (apparently) get some light strikes on the primers, which will cause problems (and time) throughout the match. needless to say I will NOT be using wolf primers EVER again in my glock. I might use whatever I have left in my other guns. I will be getting some winchester primers for my production loads. Also the internals of my glock are tweeked a bit, but I am running a factory spring, and have never had any issues whatsoever with other primers. Only with the wolf. And how "gamey" are we getting? Well, that is up to you, your wallet, and how much you want to push the envelope within the rules.

There IS a Wawa just off route 18 in East Brunswick.... there's another one on Route 18 near route 9. Dunno which way you went to OBRPC though!

So JJ Racaza was there? Did anyone meet him? Cool in person?

If you ever come or go to a match, you will see that "most" of the "known" shooters are just cool down to earth regular people. Other than the fact that we pay to shoot and they get paid to shoot.

Bob,

glad you came out and shot the match. It was (and they always are) a long day at Old Bridge. Always try and get more water than what you think you'll need, some kind of snack/lunch, and keep some advil in your range bag. There are 2 WAWA's near Old Bridge both on Route 18. As far as the malfunctions go, Marlon and I were using the same type of primers in our ammo for our glocks. You (apparently) get some light strikes on the primers, which will cause problems (and time) throughout the match. needless to say I will NOT be using wolf primers EVER again in my glock. I might use whatever I have left in my other guns. I will be getting some winchester primers for my production loads. Also the internals of my glock are tweeked a bit, but I am running a factory spring, and have never had any issues whatsoever with other primers. Only with the wolf. And how "gamey" are we getting? Well, that is up to you, your wallet, and how much you want to push the envelope within the rules.

Excuses...excuses.....LOL

Marlon and I were using the same type of primers in our ammo for our glocks. You (apparently) get some light strikes on the primers, which will cause problems (and time) throughout the match. needless to say I will NOT be using wolf primers EVER again in my glock.

Excuses....excuses....

Where do I start.....Being up for more than 24 hrs, Having malfunctions 1-3 rds per stage, Taking videos of everybody....almost to the point of forgetting to load my mags for my next stage. In pain and starving....but I guess everyone feels this way. Worried of having to sleep @ the dog house the following day. These are just the minor things I have to deal with yesterday.

As per, Ronhonda and Voodoodaddy..... controlling myself and not to show my "HARD ON" when I saw JJ was the biggest part. Shh...... :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol::facepalm: you two bas-atards know me to well by now..... :icon_lol: :icon_lol: But wait...I don't think it was just me. Didn't you noticed Huntingpaper,Maksim,Aaron, and Megaman? :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I'm curious to see some of voodoodaddy's videos, taken with his hat-cam. This must really give you a feel for what the shooter is confronting. Quite a bit different than seeing him disappear behind a wall and hearing a series of shots fired. How about it voodoo?

Marlon,

All joking aside, you shot extremely well. It shows that you have been practicing with dry fire and time at he range. Keep it up and you will see a noticeable improvement in your future matches.

Thank's Ron..... Things learned from yesterday. I need to have better trigger discipline and control. Noticed how I JERK it off on some of those misfires. My footwork sucks.....And now I know....You think I have a good draw. : :unsure::blush:

Thank's Ron..... Things learned from yesterday. I need to have better trigger discipline and control. Noticed how I JERK it off on some of those misfires. My footwork sucks.....And now I know....You think I have a good draw. : :unsure::blush:

I though your footwork were great, you even managed to take down the four plate on the move. keep up the good work grass hopper ;)

Will

There IS a Wawa just off route 18 in East Brunswick.... there's another one on Route 18 near route 9. Dunno which way you went to OBRPC though!

Just did a 20 mile radius search from Old Bridge. The only one found on Rt 18 was after the point where I turned off onto Rt 516