Maksim

USPSA @ Old Bridge 9/26

TThe challenge is not shooting really far, as most targets are 15 yards or closer and some being point blank. I am sure we may get together beforehand, and now I started shooting 1/2 size uspsa targets to practice with.

To win the game, you need to find the balance between going fast and shooting accurately.

You are not going to win the first match, and no one ever minds a new person. During my first match, no one made me feel like a newbie in a negative way. These are all friends.

Wow. When Maks falls, he falls hard. Mike better watch out. I think there's a new USPSA cheerleader on the block.

I think it's more that Maks gets it! There is NO OTHER (IMHO) shooting related activity that you do that is as enjoyable, challenging, and frustrating at the same time. Shooting paper at a range is boring. Come on out, check it out and give it a try. You won/t be disappointed. At least till the scores come out.

I think it's more that Maks gets it! There is NO OTHER (IMHO) shooting related activity that you do that is as enjoyable, challenging, and frustrating at the same time. Shooting paper at a range is boring. Come on out, check it out and give it a try. You won/t be disappointed. At least till the scores come out.

I've done the event at Shongum a couple of times. Yeah, it's about as much fun as I've had with a handgun. Way better than paper punching. Almost as much fun as clay sports.

Yeah you need to try other matches at other clubs, whole different kind of ballgame.

I would, but I'm just so damn far away from any of the Southern tier clubs. Even Shongum is around an hour for me. I can't have fun after a 3 hour drive, even if there's something cool at the end of the expedition.

I don't want anyone to think I'm promoting a particular product because it's beneficial to me - I have no association with any of these products. That being said - one of the biggest hurdles to getting involved in this type of shooting is the cost of equipment. So here are some suggestions for low-bucks, but very functional equipment.

Belt - You need a good gun belt to support that holster & gun as well as the number of mag pouches you'll need. Uncle Mikes makes a polymer reinforced, 1.5" wilderness-type belt that sells for about $25. I think I got mine at Natchez Shooters Supply, but anyone that carries Uncle Mikes products should be able to get it. Mine is holding up fine after about 4 or 5 years of use.

Holster - even the kydex holsters like Blade-Tech are not cheap. If you are trying this out and need a holster to see if you like it, try a Fobus holster. Polymer means the gun comes out slick. Pick one up on Ebay for $20 - $25 bucks.

Mag Pouches - This was always a sticking point, these are not cheap - however, I found a guy who will do kydex mag holders 3 for $30 plus $5 shipping. He already has patterns for a number of different guns. If he doesn't have one for yours, if you're willing to surrender a mag for a little while (returned with your order) he can make them for you. There are competition and CCW versions, plus if your thinking of shooting IDPA as well as USPSA, let him know so he can make the mag holders compliant. His name is Chris Buell and his e-mail is: [email protected] Here's a thread by him/about him on Sig Forum...

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/145103562/p/1

Now you have no excuses. Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Guest megaman

I will be there, dont worry about the weather, they made Remoil for that issue...I am excited to see the interesting stages.

Old Bridge about 7 stages, so its a long fun day...

I dont know if I would say it is an expensive thing to get into.... I would say it is as expensive as range shooting, but maybe even less.

USPSA event = $20 if you are a member. $40 for membership annually and you shoot first match free. 200 rounds of ammo for 5 to 6 hours worth of fun.

Range = $20 walk on, Targets, 200 rounds of ammo in 30 mins? An hour?

Equipment wise... you do not need top of the line stuff to get going. A Regular 1.5 inch leather belt will work. When you are starting, it is not the equipment that holds you back.

Cheap option to dabble into the sport to see if it is for you.

1. Belt = Any regular 1.5 inch belt.

2. Holster = Blackhawk Serpa - $30 or so.

3. Mag Pouches = $30 or so.

So $60 worth of gear assuming you have no holster or pouches. And you can use that gear in most fun shoots and IDPA.

I spent a tad more... bought a double alpha belt $55 on midway, and Safariland single mag pouches $20 each on optics planet. Bought a used serpa holster from eddie for around $20, and one more double mag pouch at a gun show for $10.

My most expensive part was the 4 extra mags for my gun. $30 a pop.

If you are shooting a glock or an XD, it is fairly cheap as the XD's come with holsters and some mags, and Glock mags are cheap.

Worst case.... most of the guys that shoot, will probably have a second rig they can let you borrow.

Like this weekend, I had a rig ready for anyone to use, Hk P30L with 4 mags to use in production with a holster.

HuntingPaper had a Glock 19 rig ready to go for Bryan until he wet his hair. :icon_e_surprised:

I will be there also looking forward to meeting the other forum members .you can go on line to obrpc.com and sign up on line also,old bridge also has a indoor action shooting on september 17 starts at 6:30 and ends aruond 10:30.non members 20.00 to shoot members are 5.00.the will give you an orientation on uspsa shooting and a saftey check.then you can compete that night.even if you dont have a holster you can start in the low ready position.

thats fine 100-150 rounds plenty time to re-load between stages.10 rounds per mag for production class.6- 8 shots move and reload.about 20 shots per stage.

So if we have 15 shot magazines we can only load them with 10?

Is there anywhere someone can link us to with more info?

I really want to try to make it for this. Have never done it before but this is one of the reasons I got into all this in the first place.

real quick here

Revolver- 6 rounds only

Single stack- (1911 type gun with a bushing barrel) 8 round mags for major or 10 rounds for minor

Production- (glock, sig,xd, cz, etc) 10 rounds MAX in mags

Limited 10- Just about any type of gun with 10 rounds max in mags

Limited- mag capacity depends on where you shoot (NJ 15)

Open- run what you brung

99% of all stages start loaded in holstered meaning gun loaded with safety on, hammer down on production, round in chamber full mag in gun.

No stage has more than 36 hits needed to finish the stage. that being said you could end up shooting 50+ rounds.

Some stages have as little as 8 hits required to finish.

When I attended my 1st match I used a nylon holster and GI mag pouches that I purchased at an army/navy store. Later that week I picked up a Fobus holster and mag pouches, and about a year later Uncle Mike's holster and mag pouches.

You can start off with inexpensive gear, but the more serious you get, the "better" gear you will end up getting.

You can also find tons of more info on the www.enos.com forum

I will be there also looking forward to meeting the other forum members .you can go on line to obrpc.com and sign up on line also,old bridge also has a indoor action shooting on september 17 starts at 6:30 and ends aruond 10:30.non members 20.00 to shoot members are 5.00.the will give you an orientation on uspsa shooting and a saftey check.then you can compete that night.even if you dont have a holster you can start in the low ready position.

I'll be there this Friday :)