Maksim

Is your home protected?

why Jon? any particular reasons, or they're just generally incompetent?

They rarely speak English, their phone system sucks so the call quality is always terrible, they never confirm the proper police/fire department when they install the alarm, higher than average false alarms, takes forever to get them back on the phone after they dispatch an alarm, and probably more that I can't think of right now.

Guest Damagedworld
with a gun under the pillow.

Is that really such a bad idea.. :icon_e_biggrin:

Guest Damagedworld

depends: if you have kids that regularly sneak into your bed, it's a very bad idea. if you live on your own (or just with adults) and don't have minors visiting, it may work fine.

I was being silly.. yeah I live with JUST my g/f and yeah there are loaded guns everywhere in my home.. no kids around..

good enough. perhaps like Wojo said, a NRA sticker and "Beware of the Dog" sign are much better deterrents than an ADT sticker.. or any other alarm company for that matter.

That depends. If the criminal is good and they stake out your home to find out your patterns, they will soon realize that you dont have a dog (if you do not in fact have a dog). However, that is if the criminal specifically wants to hit YOUR house for whatever reason. If they are simply scouting the neighborhood, not only will it drive them away from your house.....it may drive them away from your neighbors house as well...

I was being silly.. yeah I live with JUST my g/f and yeah there are loaded guns everywhere in my home.. no kids around..

yah, I know you were. it's cool, because for you, it IS a good idea.

That depends. If the criminal is good and they stake out your home to find out your patterns, they will soon realize that you dont have a dog (if you do not in fact have a dog). However, that is if the criminal specifically wants to hit YOUR house for whatever reason. If they are simply scouting the neighborhood, not only will it drive them away from your house.....it may drive them away from your neighbors house as well...

hit the nail right on the head on that one. so unless they know you got millions in the vault, doubtful anyone would take much time to scout your house and learn your patterns, it certainly wasn't what happened in this story. they saw the mom & girls at the supermarket and followed them home.

yup. there are different concerns for different fellows on the forum: those with kids and those without. gun storage policy changes DRASTICALLY with kids around. I bought my first gun when I already had kids, so safe storage was part of the original "discussion" with the wife. and those policies will have to change as my kids get older and more curious and are able to climb and search better. then, as with any gun owner with kids, there's another "the talk" that has to be done in addition to all the other "the talks" that other parents have.

These 2 guys, need to be in jail, and for a carton or 2 of cigarets have them raped, and then killed. Happens all the time in jail... sounds harsh, but it would cut down on taxpayers keeping them alive, and clean out the jail. I would buy the 2 cartons for this guy.

That was horrible and I could not be on a jury for something like that.

I will tell you my wife was not really comfortable with all the guns i have , she knows how to shoot and we have gone over plans in case of something but after reading that story about the wife and kids being raped and killed she has totally changed her opinion on where we should have our guns at around the house , its only her and i so no kiddies [yet] , but it made me feel much better with her new attitude towards our safety !!!

maybe I should have my wife read that story. maybe she'll change her opinions about guns then..

Yeah have her read it , after my wife read it she really understood the point im always tryin to make about be secure and safe , hopefully it works for you !!

Show them this too

Evidence photos from the trial

Investigators said some details in the cases stand out, saying Komisarjevsky wore night-vision goggles. Investigators don't know how he got the goggles, which can cost a couple thousand dollars.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/13745324/detail.html

I did a presentation on Disaster Preparedness and Workplace Violence at Robert Wood Johnson yesterday and got to talking to one of the attendees as the day was winding down. He saw in my speaker's bio the line about being a Tactical Firearms instructor and wanted to ask me some personal questions not pertaining to the presentation. He recently had an alarm company experience that changed his mind. His neighbor had left that morning for vacation but forgot to close his garage door. Being a good neighbor he went over and closed the electric overhead door and planned to exit the side door instead of doing the second base slide to get out. As he opened the side door to leave, the alarm system triggered at full scream. He figured that he would do the right thing and wait out front to address the neighbors that would be curious and the police when they got there being that he had nothing to hide.

He asks me, "do you know what happened"? I told him "no one really came out to check and it took the police about 20 minutes to respond". Amazed at my accuracy, he asked me if I was a cop in his town. I told him "no, that is just the way it tends to go more often than not". After the incident he went out and bought a Mossy 500, 20 gauge, 18" barrel with ghost rings and asked my opinion on his choice. I told him it was a good one, but what type of firearms training was he planning on taking. "What do you mean, its a shotgun?". I think I convinced him that the right training is just as important than the size or type of gun you choose.

So, if you are not home, the bad guys already know that they have a 10 to 25 minutes of opportunity to rob your house. How long does it take to run to a bedroom and hit the jewelry boxes or places that most people think "they will never look in here"? Unless your house is frigging huge and a maze, all they need is 5 minutes to grab the low lying fruit and snag those i-pods and other micro-expensive gadgets on the way out. Throwing your TV over the shoulder is long gone.

YOU are your own first responder and best line of defense.

He asks me, "do you know what happened"? I told him "no one really came out to check and it took the police about 20 minutes to respond". Amazed at my accuracy, [...]So, if you are not home, the bad guys already know that they have a 10 to 25 minutes of opportunity to rob your house. How long does it take to run to a bedroom and hit the jewelry boxes or places that most people think "they will never look in here"? Unless your house is frigging huge and a maze, all they need is 5 minutes to grab the low lying fruit and snag those i-pods and other micro-expensive gadgets on the way out. Throwing your TV over the should is long gone.

YOU are your own first responder and best line of defense.

what is your experience with neighborhood watch? My street needs one desperately.

Neighborhood Watch - In Newark, East Orange, Camden they watch your house, when you leave they rob it!!! :facepalm:

IMHO - Just another feel good program. I really have no knowledge on them other than to offer my best guests at similar government programs that are all veneer and lack any substance.

First - other then a couple of street signs, are they really organized?

Are the leaders and members subjected to a background search?

What training beyond a power-point or a few hand outs have they gone thru?

Other than having a 'title', they have not been granted any special powers beyond a normal citizen.

They aren't armed, they have no legal right to detain you. Just citizens that promise to contact law enforcement.

Just a bunch of window watchers (lickers) and fair weather porch sitters. It is all about personal ethics and culture. You see something, you say something.

You have 50 people hang'in on four street corners on Friday night. A drive by shooting happens and no'body seen nuttin. A cop has to use some extra force on a career criminal , aspiring rap-artist / future pastor / reverend and you have 48 people taking video and pictures from their cell phones. The other 2 are stealing the cop car.

Guest Damagedworld

You have 50 people hang'in on four street corners on Friday night. A drive by shooting happens and no'body seen nuttin. A cop has to use some extra force on a career criminal , aspiring rap-artist / future pastor / reverend and you have 48 people taking video and pictures from their cell phones. The other 2 are stealing the cop car.

your assessment of modern society is pretty depressing.. unfortunately it is also spot on.. I don't really even communicate with my neighbors.. In the last community I lived in I gave it a shot.. being nice.. social.. chit chatting with people as they came by.. my reward? some scumbag tried to smash through my back door and rob me while I was out earning a living.. lesson learned.. probably far better to come off like a crazy loaner, as at least fear might make them less likely to come around.. I have also developed the habit of switching up what car I use at what time.. I do this to make it difficult to tell when I am actually home..