lunker

Semi-Auto Shotgun "Evil Fetaures"

I was always under the impression that we could not have semi-auto shotguns in this state that had a pistol grip or that could hold more than six rounds.

Below is an excerpt from the NJ Statute regarding assault weapons (with a link to the full law further down). The way I read it, it is OK to have one of the following evil features for a semi-auto shotgun:

C. a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Does this mean I can have a pistol gripped semi-auto that has five or less rounds? Or a semi-auto without a pistol grip that holds more than five? The way I read it, the pistol grip would be no good on a Saiga 12, but it would be OK on a Remington 1100 that holds four.

Link to statute:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

I was always under the impression that we could not have semi-auto shotguns in this state that had a pistol grip or that could hold more than six rounds.

Below is an excerpt from the NJ Statute regarding assault weapons (with a link to the full law further down). The way I read it, it is OK to have one of the following evil features for a semi-auto shotgun:

Does this mean I can have a pistol gripped semi-auto that has five or less rounds? Or a semi-auto without a pistol grip that holds more than five? The way I read it, the pistol grip would be no good on a Saiga 12, but it would be OK on a Remington 1100 that holds four.

Link to statute:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

could you do a factory saiga with a giant drum!

never mind the last line is two things.. high cap mag detachable mag.. right?

edit two.. no wait you can have a factory saiga with a high cap mag?

Your impression is correct

Yes, that's what it says IN THE EXCERPT YOU QUOTED. Now go to the FULL statute (try here, bottom of 4th page: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf) and **CONTINUE** reading past that point and you'll see another section that defines the following as an assault weapon:

3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock or a pistol grip;

This means a semi with >6 capacity, a folding stock, or a pistol grip is an assault weapon. Not 2 out of the 3, ANY SINGLE ONE OF THE 3.

Does this mean I can have a pistol gripped semi-auto that has five or less rounds?

No

Or a semi-auto without a pistol grip that holds more than five?

Yes, limited to 6 in the magazine, one in the feeder/chamber (6+1).

The way I read it, the pistol grip would be no good on a Saiga 12, but it would be OK on a Remington 1100 that holds four.

Your source doesn't quote the WHOLE statute.

Yes, it is very confusing to have a more "lenient" definition of an "assault weapon" semi-auto shotgun first, followed by a stricter one in a different section. Just another example of how hastily and poorly thought through NJ firearms legislation is.

In short, an assault weapon is:

The 1990 law states:

"A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock."

The 1996 AG Guideline states:

"a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

4. an ability to accept a detachable magazine."

The law is the LAW, and the guideline is a GUIDELINE. In this instance, the guideline contradicts what the law says. AFAIK, no one has been prosecuted for violating a guideline.

I had this problem when I got the Mossberg 930 SPX. It was only a few weeks after getting my paperwork and I didn't know, and Dick's "didn't know" so I got a Mossberg 930 SPX from the Dick's across the river in PA, which comes factory with a Choate Machine and Tool +3 extension making it 7+1. (I got the conventional stock version because I heard about the pistol grip law but also, Mossberg's safety is much more accessible with a conventional stock).

I called Choate and had them make me a +1 extension and then put their new extension, spring , and follower on and now it's 5+1. All good. But according to Mossberg I'm the only one in NJ with an SPX, I called and asked about the parts and they didn't actually believe me I had one.

I had this problem when I got the Mossberg 930 SPX. It was only a few weeks after getting my paperwork and I didn't know, and Dick's "didn't know" so I got a Mossberg 930 SPX from the Dick's across the river in PA, which comes factory with a Choate Machine and Tool +3 extension making it 7+1. (I got the conventional stock version because I heard about the pistol grip law but also, Mossberg's safety is much more accessible with a conventional stock).

I called Choate and had them make me a +1 extension and then put their new extension, spring , and follower on and now it's 5+1. All good. But according to Mossberg I'm the only one in NJ with an SPX, I called and asked about the parts and they didn't actually believe me I had one.

Not true, I know one other person that has one :)

It's a 4+1.

So if I have a semi (Remington 1100) with a 8 round magazine tube and regular stock it will be ok?It will be only one "evil feature". Which is the law it says that only 6 rounds?

Not ok - semi-auto is limited to 6+1.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/page__view__findpost__p__320795

this is retarded, so an ar can have a 15 round magazine, with a .50 cal upper and a pistol grip but a semi shotgun caneven have a pistol grip if i have a detachable magazine. why even buy a saiga 12

No semi-auto shotguns can have a pistol grip, even with a conventional tube mag.