Sign in to follow this  
deni

As a new pistol owner, what do I need?

I'm not quite there yet(owning my first pistol)

but I am expecting its arrival this coming week.

So, as the thread title states

what does a new gun owner need?

ie- what cleaning supplies do you recommend, any specific gun tools, whatever you think.

I was looking at hoppes pistol cleaning kit but I have no idea if I need more than that.

Please advise!

and thanks!

oh and the pistol I'm waiting on is an FNP-9, paid it off this weekend and waiting for it to arrive to Paul. I have Paul blocking the mags for me.

+1 on the bore snake, I use them at the range just before packing up. Lots of people use breakfree CLP, I find it very convenient and without heavy odor. Proper size patches, Q-tips. The Hoppes kit has a good selection of cleaning rod tips (jags) of plastic, you may want to get some brass ones. Tetra Gun makes very good synthetic oil and grease.

But you can use any of the well known brands for cleaning and for lubing. You might also want to get polymer safe gun scrubber, you can use it to occasionally degrease and clean out the insides after a lot of rounds. I don't use it often though.

A gun cleaning pad with a rubberized back is good for keeping surfaces free of debris, oil, etc.

Congrats on your first pistol, I wanted one of those FNP-9s but could not get past the 16 rounds thing (mag block issue). Be safe and have fun!

Qtips no imitations. The cotton heads fall off the imitations. Or even better Bear Metal Clean swabs. I have bought the medium kit and they last a long time. I do use Qtips for most of my cleaning but when I need a odd size swab I go for the Bear Meta Clean.

http://www.bearmetalclean.com/

you need a case, targets, a target frame (if you for example join cherry ridge) join a range,shooting glasses/ear protectiong ammo, cleaning supplies, a full legal understanding of NJ's bizarre transport laws and a VERY patient and understanding spouse or S/O

I use brake clean for cleaner and Boesheild for lube, cheap and works really good

you need a case, targets, a target frame (if you for example join cherry ridge) join a range,shooting glasses/ear protectiong ammo, cleaning supplies, a full legal understanding of NJ's bizarre transport laws and a VERY patient and understanding spouse or S/O

I use brake clean for cleaner and Boesheild for lube, cheap and works really good

Will the case the pistol comes in suffice for transporting to and from the range? I did buy ammo, eyes/ear protection and a cabinet in anticipation.

Still want a safe eventually but will wait till I'm ready for a long gun too.

I'll check out the cleaning and lube recommendations you've made as well as the other suggested methods. Will make a decision based on the most cost effective method.

Right now I have no plans on joining a range but I do want to eventually, preferably one with indoor/outdoor flexibility(OBRPC would be closest to me.)

Instruction and a place to shoot. Where do you live?

I eventually want to take a pistol course like the one Gun for Hire and others offer. There are really no public ranges around me(Fords) but I've been to Shore Shot. A friend from Edison goes to Bullet Hole and I'm gonna tag along with him next time he goes.

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

Keep 'em coming!

fixed- thanks for the heads up tommy3rd

Edited by deni

As for a case you probably will want to ditch the case the gun came in. They are just another thing to carry. Get a bore store gun rug. Midway sell a range bag that is cheap and gets good reviews.

Stuff to bring to the range (pistol)

Eyes and ears,

Gun

Ammo

targets

stapler or tape

Small tools (pliers, small screwdriver set etc)

First aid kit (hope you won't need it but if you do)

Pen/Markers

I think the other folks have answered your question well. About the only other things I can think of that are basic to me but that you don't critically need to start are a bag of the right size to carry extra targets (such as one of the canvas bags you see being used on boats) and something to use to see where you are hitting. A spotting telescope of the right size is the best for this last, but for many years I used a small pair of Nikon compact binoculars that were perfectly good out to 25 yards or so. If your pistol has adjustable sights you need the proper tool to adjust them. A small staple gun is best to put targets up. Be sure you bring staples too.

Also I always suggest to people that they get a large range bag, not a small one. Nothing is so useful when you start to carry more stuff to the range.

Deni, you are buying a handgun from me and will own it in about 4 weeks! Well, feel free to stop by (with some notice) and I can show you the gear I take to the range (pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc.) and anything else you want to know.

what do you guys recommend for hearing protection? does anyone wear ear plugs instead of headsets? what about eye protection while wearing prescription glasses? i may consider contacts just for the range instead of possibly wearing (2) sets of glasses.

I just use my regular perscription glasses. I have polycarb lenses so that's good enough. I was thinking of trying to find those plastic side inserts like safety glasses... haven't had much luck but then again I haven't spent that much time looking.

what do you guys recommend for hearing protection? does anyone wear ear plugs instead of headsets? what about eye protection while wearing prescription glasses? i may consider contacts just for the range instead of possibly wearing (2) sets of glasses.

Pel

I see people using the big muffs and others using the tiny plugs on my trips to the range. The muffs seem more popular based on my very limited experience. I use some $20 Peltor muffs. They're fine for handguns but maybe not so good for long guns if the muff gets in the way. The passive muffs seemed as good as the electronic muffs I tried.

Are you near sighted or far sighted? I'm near sighted and I shoot without Rx. The target is blurry but the front sight is in focus. I have trouble shooting at the all black targets. I do much better if the target has an orange bulls eye. Tried the safety glasses over my Rx glasses but the results without Rx were better. You might want to try it both ways and see which is better for you.

Are you near sighted or far sighted? I'm near sighted and I shoot without Rx. The target is blurry but the front sight is in focus. I have trouble shooting at the all black targets. I do much better if the target has an orange bulls eye. Tried the safety glasses over my Rx glasses but the results without Rx were better. You might want to try it both ways and see which is better for you.

i dont know if im far or near sighted. things get burry when i try to look far away. yesterday was my 1st time at the range and i wore those ugly plastic glasses over my rx glasses. maybe i can get away without my rx glasses, but i didnt try. too nervous worrying about everything else.

If you want you can get a pair of perscription safety glasses.

As for hearing protection, I use a pair of Peltor Bullseye 7's. They're rated for 27db protection. The higher the NRR Protection the better. For firing rifles, some people like to double up on the protection - muffs and plugs.

If you want you can get a pair of perscription safety glasses.

This. Gotta warn you though, impact resistant prescription glasses with side guards can get expensive. My pair ended up costing me $200. I also use it for work so I didn't mind paying more.

This. Gotta warn you though, impact resistant prescription glasses with side guards can get expensive. My pair ended up costing me $200. I also use it for work so I didn't mind paying more.

They make safety glasses with a plastic frame & plastic lenses. They must be cheaper as my employer has switched to these instead of traditional wire framed ones. :icon_rolleyes:

Plugs are good, but(with rubber reusable plugs)if you start to sweat & it gets in your ear it lowers the noise reduction somehow (they don't seem to fit as well). I prefer muffs for pistol shooting.

Cleaning supplies recommended:

Solvent (I like Hoppes 9)

Appropriate sized cotton cleaning patches (9mm, .45, .357, etc.)

Nylon Brush (I get tooth brushes from Costco)

Gun Oil (Hoppes, Slip 2000, etc.)

Silicon Cloth to wipe down firearm (I like Kleen Bore)

Appropriately sized cleaning rod, jag, and bronze brush.

Like previously stated Hoppes makes a felt rubber lined mat for cleaning. You could just put newspaper down just don't do it on nice furniture.