I'm not ex military so would feel like a bit of a d- owning that Ka-Bar. Love the way they look though.

I have a Gerber Big Rock, cheap and not the best but works for camping. I would not use it for HD so I guess that would go to the Kershaw... I never gave it much thought before.

CQC-8

Super8SFS_Lg.jpg

Also helps to know how to use your implement of defense.....

For home defense, the only knives I would ever consider would be the butterfly knives. It's a weapon set that I've been training with for the last 8 months and they can give you the ability to quickly incapacitate multiple opponents at a time in close quarters. If I had to give up my guns for knives, these would be it.

W450%5B1%5D.jpg

Ka-Bars are the most commonly carried belt knife professional survival instructors use. I literally own a hundred knives, some of them the super duper high tech super steel combat blades, but when something needs to get wacked around the house, it's the Ka-Bar that's on my belt.

Hard to beat a Ka-Bar, still american made and affordable. Unless you have the newer USMC ka-bar/bayonet which can be fixed shotgun after it runs dry.

Where do I get one?

I'm not ex military so would feel like a bit of a d- owning that Ka-Bar. Love the way they look though.

I have a Gerber Big Rock, cheap and not the best but works for camping. I would not use it for HD so I guess that would go to the Kershaw... I never gave it much thought before.

I can't see why you feel this way. I own a kukri but have never been a Gurkha.

• Like 1

I can't see why you feel this way. I own a kukri but have never been a Gurkha.

Yeah man, I was never a Marine but a Ka-Bar is a way to show some respect for the company and what their about.

Nice knives all, however get a shotgun or a handgun for the home. Or better yet a big mean dog. I love knives, I collect knives, I hope I'll never have to use one. For my home, the dog and the gun.

Ummmmm, yeah. Thanks Kurt

• Like 1

The Gerber LMF is nice if you don't want a Kbar.

For home defense, the only knives I would ever consider would be the butterfly knives.

Aren't they in the grey area of NJ?

The Gerber LMF is nice if you don't want a Kbar.

Aren't they in the grey area of NJ?

he said "butterfly knives" but he meant "butterfly swords" butterfly knives are a horrible weapon.. overly flashy..

I prefer a nice solid fighting knife with a nice sharp point and solid edge so you can really penetrate.. a nice solid shot under the armpit while guarding with your other arm.. or a series of bulldog type strikes.. that is all it will really take..

or something so small heavy that it is going to break bones while cutting/chopping.. but something with a sharp point is what I prefer so when the knife is at rest by your waste you can still burry the blade into the gut of an attacker if they come out of nowhere and try to grab you..

just like a gun the you want the most trauma possible the fastest way you can physically achieve.. IMO of course..

a nice solid Kbar for a fighting knife is good to go IMO..

sword is too large for interior home use..

th_82942a97.jpg

Cold steel makes it Called shanghai shadow feels good in the hand doubles as a thrower. Cold steel has a lot of goodies at a good prices I have the katana machete and a couple more cold steel products. All products are meant to used and they all have been torture tested.

th_82942a97.jpg

Cold steel makes it Called shanghai shadow feels good in the hand doubles as a thrower. Cold steel has a lot of goodies at a good prices I have the katana machete and a couple more cold steel products. All products are meant to used and they all have been torture tested.

what's the cirlce at the end of the grip for?

th_82942a97.jpg

how is the grip? also SOME cold steel stuff is amazing.. and some is kind of questionable.. (for example I was able to break the shovel when I put it to hard use)

kind of a round point for plunging? but I guess it does kind of resemble a speer so if the contours are good should penetrate ok?

I like to hold a knife that is more pointed.. and beefy.. almost like a railroad tie if you could visualize that.. lol

th_3947e187.jpg

I have the blade connected to my thigh rig I use the loop to grab the blade from the sheath. I ambidextrous it's comfortable with both hands. Vlad i agree my katana machete is kinda poor quality to but I have a survival blade it's kinda like a spear head and the quality on that is second to none.I guess it's hit or miss with cold steel. But for the dollar it can't be beat.

he said "butterfly knives" but he meant "butterfly swords" butterfly knives are a horrible weapon.. overly flashy..

No, they're the real butterfly knives. The Chinese refer to most single edged weapons as dao (knife). The butterfly knives that I train with are called such since they move together a lot -- one follows the other. They're extremely effective and versatile.

What the other poster questioned was the balisong knife (Philippine) with the familiar handles that spin around to reveal or conceal the blade.