Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

just got my FL CCW...

Guest HuntingPaper

Congratulations!!!!

Now we can make a road trim to use it.

Just make sure that you know ALL of the laws regarding transporting firearms through states, and which states you can carry in. PLEASE the last thing that ANY firearm enthusiast needs is to get caught in a crappy situation because the laws vary from state to state. I would hate to see an enthusiast get nailed for some petty crap. With the privilege of carrying in various states comes A LOT of responsibility. Just make sure you use it wisely.

On that note, congrats!! This is something I want to do if it looks like NJ wont be allowing it anytime soon.

Carrying a gun is not a privilege, it is a right.

Under the Constitution, yes. If you wanted to carry tomorrow in NJ, could you legally do it? No. There are only a select few in NJ who can legally carry. Therefore, right now, in NJ, it is unfortunately a privilege.

Carrying a gun is not a privilege, it is a right.

So, you could carry a gun and if you get caught you would use "it's my constitutional right" as a defense?

It's a right only on paper. Unfortunately, It doesn't do squat for me here in jersey.

On a side note, it was so nice walking around Cabela's yesterday carrying a concealed firearm.

• Like 1

So, you could carry a gun and if you get caught you would use "it's my constitutional right" as a defense?

It's a right only on paper. Unfortunately, It doesn't do squat for me here in jersey.

Under the Constitution, yes. If you wanted to carry tomorrow in NJ, could you legally do it? No. There are only a select few in NJ who can legally carry. Therefore, right now, in NJ, it is unfortunately a privilege.

I think you two are misunderstanding the constitution. No, it is not a legal defense in a place like NJ. That's not what I'm saying and I'm not sure why you would think that.

What I'm saying is, the constitution holds that all people have inalienable rights, whether they live in Florida, New Jersey, or North Korea. Rights are not granted by our government, or any government, they are given to you by the creator, whomever you believe that to be or not be. Governments do, however, restrict those rights, or prohibit the exercise of them, but they cannot take them away unless you have done something to warrant that (i.e. you can be deprived of 10 years of liberty if you are found guilty in court of robbing someone, etc.).

So, no, you cannot walk outside around NJ right now carrying a gun. But that is not because you do not have the right to, it is because the local government has decided to prohibit you from exercising your rights.

Words mean things, choose how you use them very carefully.

• Like 2

You tell me this:

Words mean things, choose how you use them very carefully.

Then say this:

So, no, you cannot walk outside around NJ right now carrying a gun. But that is not because you do not have the right to, it is because the local government has decided to prohibit you from exercising your rights.

Bottom line....if my local government is "prohibiting me from exercising my right" (your words) to carry.....then I DO NOT have the right to carry.

• Like 2

Let's see...

i qoute the Constitution and get -3

No wonder we are in the predicament we are in :facepalm:

The states, at the local government have to incorporate those rights. The State government has the right, under the us Constitution to put restrictions on them.

You tell me this:Bottom line....if my local government is "prohibiting me from exercising my right" (your words) to carry.....then I DO NOT have the right to carry.

You have the right to carry, as per the constitution of the United States. You know, keep and bear and all that jazz. However, local laws state that you cannot. Court cases and advocacy groups work to repeal that law. What part of that don't you understand?

• Like 2

The states, at the local government have to incorporate those rights. The State government has the right, under the us Constitution to put restrictions on them.

No, they do not. See McDonald v. Chicago, where the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment applies to the states.

The reason NJ does not have shall issue CCW, etc. is because the state is refusing to comply with the Supreme Court's decision.

• Like 2

Dude Im sorry....bottom line is that if I CANNOT legally carry a concealed pistol in NJ, then I DO NOT have the right to.

California legalized marijuana, but it is still illegal by the Federal government. That means that the Federal government, most likely the DEA, could enter peoples SHOPS that they sell marijuana in, and arrest them. There is a difference between State and Federal government.

• Like 2