Blcklightning

Possible #2 World Record Black Bear taken in PA

I saw this on New Jersey Hunter. It's originally from Archery Talk.

875 lbs! Shot yesterday and it spent some time in NJ! :icon_e_surprised:

#2 Black Bear in the World (PA)

the Barrett Bear Slayers get it done

My Uncle Dave Shot this bear yesterday in northeastern PA. 875 Live weight and 744 dressed #2 in the WORLD and a new PA State Record. He missed the world record by 4 pounds......

My cousin shot a 640 pounder on the last day of last year gun season, and yesterday was opening day of PAs first ever statewide archery-only bear season....so i guess you can say we killed two bears over 600 pounds in 2 days of bear hunting in Monroe County. We are all local guys.

Stay tuned for the full story in a magazine...

the bear is right around 9 feet and will need a grizzly mold when he gets it mounted

This bear has some really cool history, It was right in the area we shot him for the last 17 years or so. Also, It has been caught in NJ numerous times which means he isnt afrain to swim the Delaware River. He was trying to mate with a female bear who was in a snare in NJ. The female was caught by the NJDEP for testing and the big boy was trying to get his groove on with her, they had to tranquilize him so he didnt injure the female. As you can see in the pics, he has a tattoo on his lip. He was 711 pounds last year when he was caught by the Game Commission...so he put on some weight since then. He has an AWESOME blaze on his chest, i have never seen a bear with a "U-shaped" blaze...seen lots with diamond shaped ones though. Bear had 6" of fat on him.

another cool fact...my cousin who shot the bear first has diebetes so he has soda and twinkies with him in case his sugar acts up....he was just about to take a drink of soda when he first shot the bear....after chasing after it for another shot it ran right back to where he first shot and there was blood all over his soda bottle....unbelievable

PABearRecord11-15-10.jpg

I do not think I would be chasing an 800lb bear if all I had was a bow and arrow? I don't run that fast anymore! Congrats on that once in a lifetime kill! :o

Like they say, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy! :icon_mrgreen:

Like they say, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy! :icon_mrgreen:

Two guys are hiking through the woods and all of a sudden a bear crosses their path. The first guy bends down to re-tie his shoes and the second guy gets a shocked look on his face and says "you can't outrun a bear!". First guy finishes with his shoes, stands up, looks at his buddy and replies, "yup, but I just gotta outrun you!".

Jon, jOn, you guys slay me! :icon_e_biggrin:

When I was like 12, I went on vacation with my mom and her brother's family down to the islands. My uncle and were out swimming and I asked him about sharks and he said "just make sure that there is somebody farther from the shore then you are". Sounded good to me at the time.

So most of the pics and the original post on Archery Talk were taken down. Seems it received a lot of negative posts and feedback. It appears there is some drama surrounding this whole situation.

Beaverman from New Jersey Hunter

That's a crazy story and lots of negative posts and emotion starting to show up everywhere it was posted. Basically that bear was raised by the guy in that pic after the mother was killed by a car 17 years ago. It had no fear of man and was like a pet to him so I can see where the people are being emotional trying to make it out as these guys came in and shot a pet. But this was a wild animal that should have never been put in that situation. I guess even being like a pet he was still elusive since those guys intentionally targeted him for the last 5 years and finally got a shot (or 9) at him this year. A lot of people local to that area were familiar with the bear and are pissed that it was shot. I don't think I could target an animal that I knew had that much interaction with people, but those guys were perfectly legal so I can't say anything bad about them. I think the thing that really hurts the story is the fact they had to shoot at it 9 times (7 hits 2 misses). They didn't get much penetration in the chest so the shots that finally killed it were in the neck and head. What the hell were they shooting that they couldn't get any penetration in the chest? That's a big bear but I've seen grizzly's killed with 1 well placed arrow. There are some parts of the story that would have been better off left out.

Thread about it on another forum: HuntingPA.com