Sign in to follow this  
theRU

PMAG problems

Anyone else having problems with the 15/30. I recently bought 3 for my acr and when comparing it to the other mags i have for it, it seems the internal part does not come up high enough to lift the bolt catch. None of the 3 15/30 i have worked. Could i just have faulty mags?

edit: i just got them within the last 2 weeks.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening (modified PMAG or not). If you could use a non-modified PMAG, you'd still have this problem. Magpul denies making any changes but I've compared my 2009 30rd PMAGs to current ones and the new PMAGs have less contact between the bolt catch and the follower. Some of my measurements show them to have as much as 0.6mm less contact between the bolt catch and the follower. It's a tolerance stack up issue between the PMAG, the lower, and the bolt catch of the LPK. When modifying the mag, I don't touch the follower or the spring hence my statement that you if you could use a non-modified PMAG, you'd still have this problem.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening (modified PMAG or not). If you could use a non-modified PMAG, you'd still have this problem. Magpul denies making any changes but I've compared my 2009 30rd PMAGs to current ones and the new PMAGs have less contact between the bolt catch and the follower. Some of my measurements show them to have as much as 0.6mm less contact between the bolt catch and the follower. It's a tolerance stack up issue between the PMAG, the lower, and the bolt catch of the LPK. When modifying the mag, I don't touch the follower or the spring hence my statement that you if you could use a non-modified PMAG, you'd still have this problem.

So you might as well count me out of the group buy..i dont want to be stuck with a bunch of mags that dont work for me.

Oh and another interesting change that "wasn't" made: the follower no longer touches the feed lip in the new mags whereas in the 2009s, it did.

Do you have anymore of the older style ones? I'm curious to see what bushmaster sells on their accessories website.. they offer 30 rd pmags with a bushmaster logo. I wonder if they're somehow modified for the acr??

That's why I use C-Products. I've seen this a few times with PMAGS at the range.

C-Products 15/20's like $15 a piece and never had a problem. Just not as Tacticool.

FS

Thats a shame..i really like tacticool!!

Do you have anymore of the older style ones? I'm curious to see what bushmaster sells on their accessories website.. they offer 30 rd pmags with a bushmaster logo. I wonder if they're somehow modified for the acr??

I don't know what BM's selling or if their mags are different (other than color) than what Magpul releases to the commercial market. As for older PMAGs, the only ones I have are personal ones. I sell tons of PMAGs so my inventory is constantly turning.

I don't know what BM's selling or if their mags are different (other than color) than what Magpul releases to the commercial market. As for older PMAGs, the only ones I have are personal ones. I sell tons of PMAGs so my inventory is constantly turning.

Is it illegal for me to order a 30 rounder from bushy to see if its different? and if i were to order some from them can you modify them for me? Let me know what it would cost.

I just want to have pmags!!! lol

Is it illegal for me to order a 30 rounder from bushy to see if its different? and if i were to order some from them can you modify them for me? Let me know what it would cost.

I just want to have pmags!!! lol

I can definitely modify them as I offer a modification service.

I bought about 5 P-mags a few weeks ago for my Sig 556, They are the 15/30 mags as well. Only issue I have with them is that when I load it with all 15 rounds it doesn't click into the gun, Other then that they have been 100% reliable.

• Like 1

My understanding regarding that, Jeremy, is because of the block that of course limits the magazine to 15-- it also takes away some of the "buffer" (I don't know the exact term) that a magazine would normally have if it didn't have a huge block inserted.

I bought about 5 P-mags a few weeks ago for my Sig 556, They are the 15/30 mags as well. Only issue I have with them is that when I load it with all 15 rounds it doesn't click into the gun, Other then that they have been 100% reliable.

With the bolt closed?

Due to the seemingly infinite combinations of lower receiver manufacturers, LPK manufacturers, and upper receiver manufacturers, it's impossible to say that the mag will seat on a closed bolt due to tolerance stack-up. Since it's impossible to guarantee seating on a closed bolt, to stay on the safe side of things, the blocks are made large enough to make sure there's no way for a 16th round to be forced into the mag.

UPDATE:

Spoke to magpul, they acknowledged that they made a change and that there is an issue with the acr because of the bolt catch design. They have made changes to the follower and will ship me replacement followers..

Is there anyway i can open the mags? or if i could send you the mags back with the followers and switch them out? Or any other type of arrangement that works????

theRU,

I have 10 C-products black 15/30's if you are interested. NIW. I'm never going to use them since I went for MidwestPX's 15/30 PMAGS. I'll sell you all 10 for $50. What color are the PMAG's?

Thanks for the offer but i'm going to pass. I really cant stand the aluminum mags, i hate the ones i have. With a solution on the horizon looks like i'll be able to use pmags.

UPDATE:

Spoke to magpul, they acknowledged that they made a change and that there is an issue with the acr because of the bolt catch design. They have made changes to the follower and will ship me replacement followers..

Is there anyway i can open the mags? or if i could send you the mags back with the followers and switch them out? Or any other type of arrangement that works????

If you want to send the mags and followers to me, I'll get them swapped around. Depending on what they did with the followers, a new block may be necessary.

If you want to send the mags and followers to me, I'll get them swapped around. Depending on what they did with the followers, a new block may be necessary.

That would be awesome thanks! Apparently they said that all new pmags being produced will have the new follower design that they are sending to me. I'm not sure if they are reverting back to the 2009 style or if this is somehow a third variety.

That would be awesome thanks! Apparently they said that all new pmags being produced will have the new follower design that they are sending to me. I'm not sure if they are reverting back to the 2009 style or if this is somehow a third variety.

No problem; just give me a head's up when you ship 'em to me so I know to expect them.

Hey, I finally got them in. Should i send it to:

Midwest PX LLC

417 NE Bristol Dr.

Lees Summit, MO 64086

Anything else you want me to mark on the packages?

Hey, I finally got them in. Should i send it to:

Midwest PX LLC

417 NE Bristol Dr.

Lees Summit, MO 64086

Anything else you want me to mark on the packages?

Yep, that's the address. Just shoot me a tracking number when you ship them. Also, please include your return address, preferably typed, inside the package. Return addresses can get mangled by the courier.