civictuner04

gun paint first time

ok so i wanted to try to paint one of my guns not for tactical or anything like that just for fun. and i can't believe how awesome it came out. i used like 10 different ideas to come up with this.... now i used a $50 single shot savage 22lr that had a dirty looking outer barrel and holes drilled in the stock so even if i screwed it up completely i wasnt hurting anything....well ill shut up and post the pics

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

so what do you guys think??? im really happy with how it turned out....is it perfect no but its great for a $20 2 day project

Bravo :D

I like ti and I am glad to see it and that it is not followed by comments of "way to make your gun illegal" I figured either it was illegal to paint your guns for real here or at least someone would assume that and tell you their misinformation :blink:

The snake skin is awesome. How did you do it?

i was in a rush to do it last night before the rain so didnt take alot of pics but what i did was

1) sand gun, wipe down with cloth, taped off (trigger, barrel end, inside of bolt reciever) and then white primer the entire rifle making sure sure i covered everything 2 light coats 1 medium coat. let sit over night inside

2) then i did flat olive over entire gun did 5 light coats spaced out over 1 hour let sit for 2 or 3 hours

3) heres the secret i went into the cabinets in the kitchen and took out the non slip mesh that is between the dishes and wood bottom. cut it up so that its super tight to the gun and only one rotation around the gun. the paint from previous step should be a little tacky and will actually hold the non stick stuff to the rifle. if neccesary use very small rubber bands to secure it

4) took it back out side and the sprayed it with flat almond. 6 light coats over half and hour

5) then i got the flat black rattle can and first did very faint random lines then over the gun then i waited ike 10 mins and went over each line again 2 more time on some.

6) then took the gun back inside and peeled off the mesh and was very impresssed.

now what could be done differently is

1) base color almond or tan and then green over mesh would give it more of a snake look or any color you prefer

2) for the accent lines give them just as many coats as the step before some of the black came out great other spots its very faint.

the only thing left to do now is i want to do a 3 dot neon for sight so im going to get bright green in the rear and do a bright red,orange, or pink in the front pin

i did not do the trigger or bolt didnt want ot ruin my gun by any chance because even though it was 50 bucks the sucker is pretty accurate.

Did you come up with the drawer mesh idea yourself? That's pretty cool. I've seen guns done with fish netting and they look pretty cool too. I recently camouflaged a few things including a hunting ladder stand. I used white pine needles, spruce branches, and other "foliage" as stencils. I didn't take pics, but they came out really nice. Been using these things as practice for maybe doing my 10/22. Your snake skin job is sweet.