TommyRuss

Sig 1911 problem

This is my Sig GSR XO 1911.

1911failuretofeed.jpg

I run it with the Sig factory mags (Checkmates) or Wilson Combat 47Ds and always shoot factory target ammo (typically Federal AE, Winchester and Speer).

As pictured, this pistol has consistent failure to feed problems, approximately one out of fifty rounds but sometimes as many as one per 8-round magazine.

I have already sent it back to Sig (the invoice states they upgraded the extractor) and they replaced the pictured Novaks with Checkmate mags. Additionally, I've tried using the Wilson Combat mags as well (all of these with original magazine springs). Still getting FTFs, especially late in each range session.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, I'm at my wits end here.

Could be a bunch of problems. Hard to say right off the bat. I had this problem in my Springfield with reloads. I was making them too short but you are using factory ammo so that shouldnt be the problem. I doubt its the magazines especially if you have already tried other brands. I would either say a feed ramp problem or the recoil spring might be too weak. You should never have this problem with factory ammo so my recommendation is send it back to Sig again.

Some ideas I have:

• Upgrade all magazine springs
  • Try new magazines (leaning toward Wilson Combat elite tactical magazines or Tripp Research)
  • Professionally polish the feed ramp
  • Send it back to Sig, yet again
  • Punch myself in the ****

ok, i am not up on sig 1911's

Is that a lock i see on the side of the slide under the rear sight ?

That case is pretty far in, i am thinking recoil spring, if you tap the back of slide will go into battery ?

it can also be hanging up on the extractor, not letting the case slide up into full position..

it can also be hanging up on the extractor, not letting the case slide up into full position..

My thought too, or is your breech face really dirty or scored even? Crud built up under extractor? Too much tension on the extractor?

Sig had issues early on with 1911's, not sure the details though. Probably revolved around those damn external extractors.

Probably revolved around those damn external extractors.

As far as I know, Sig never had issues with their external extractors. Some of the first generation Sigs were problematic because Sig went out and bought a bunch of really good components, from a number of different vendors and then didn't have enough experience with how to assemble them cohesively into a working gun. The "manhole" cover on the side is for the firing pin safety - indicating this may be an early gun. All of the suggestions and your surmises seem valid. It's going to be one of those 1911's that you just have to fiddle with until it runs right. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Update

Finally got my Sig 1911 (failure to feed problem, see OP) back in hand. It spent some time at Bullet Hole and was sent ultimately back to Sig.

Manny at the Bullet Hole determined that the extractor was catching the lip of the misfired rounds, causing the round to seat improperly (angled upwards) on the feed ramp. He noticed that this happened more frequently with Winchester ammunition (we took some caliper measurements, apparently Winchester is a slightly larger round).

Sig basically rebuilt much of the gun, including: replaced and adjusted the extractor, replaced the ejector, replaced the firing spring, polished the feed ramp and replaced the factory Checkmate magazine with a Novak magazine.

Put it through its paces on Saturday using 4 different magazines (Wilson Combat 47D, Wilson Combat ETM, Novak and Checkmate). Had zero failure to feed with Speer ammo and 4 FTFs with Winchester (1 mid-magazine, 3 on first round return-to-battery).

I guess it comes down to not shooting Winchester ammunition. Kind of pisses me off, I'd like the pistol to eat anything I feed it but I'm not sure there's anything else to be done.