Sign in to follow this  
PR-NJ

New Jersey legal AR-15 barrel...

No real budget constraints. I'm looking for a higher end, all around, decent rifle. This will be my first AR-15. I don't have any plans for putting together a "fleet" of AR-15s in my gun safe (famous last words). Nor do I intend to overload it with scopes, lasers, lights and other doodads (again, famous last words).

I'm considering a Daniel Defense or Noveske. Might as well shoot high (pun intended). I'm guessing that a chrome barrel would be better than stainless steel, since I don't plan to need super accurancy.

Hope this helps.

How about some of the original piston guns - before they became all the rage. LWRC or POF - worth a look. I have a POF upper and their customer service is terrific.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How about some of the original piston guns - before they became all the rage. LWRC or POF - worth a look. I have a POF upper and their customer service is terrific.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Piston guns "became" all the rage, and now that rage has died down. Now that they have had adequate testing time, they don't really offer much in terms of improvement over DI AR's except for the fact that they're easier to clean. By adding a piston you just have MORE PARTS that can break now. Weak spots for AR's are the same with both systems, the bolt, and the magazines you feed them. Eugene Stoner rectified the bolt issues with the KAC SR-15 (there are SR-15's running around with 40k+ rounds on the factory bolt, most AR bolts die at less than 10k rounds). To rectify magazine issues, run PMAG's and your problems are solved.

To the OP, I researched AR's for over a year before I bought my first one. I had all kinds of concerns about their reliability, the effectiveness of the 5.56 round, the sturdiness of the platform, etc. etc. I drank the piston kool aid for a while, until I read enough from people who shoot people for a living to go right back to Direct Impingement systems.

This is not to say that piston guns are not effective, but there has been enough time to recognize what they excel at. If you're running an SBR, if you're suppressing your rifle, or running full auto, then pistons excel. If you're not doing any two of these three (and in NJ, you're not), then you're better off going DI.

That being said, if you're going high(er) end I'd recommend a Noveske, Colt, BCM, DD or my baby the KAC.

Piston guns "became" all the rage, and now that rage has died down. Now that they have had adequate testing time, they don't really offer much in terms of improvement over DI AR's except for the fact that they're easier to clean. By adding a piston you just have MORE PARTS that can break now. Weak spots for AR's are the same with both systems, the bolt, and the magazines you feed them. Eugene Stoner rectified the bolt issues with the KAC SR-15 (there are SR-15's running around with 40k+ rounds on the factory bolt, most AR bolts die at less than 10k rounds). To rectify magazine issues, run PMAG's and your problems are solved.

To the OP, I researched AR's for over a year before I bought my first one. I had all kinds of concerns about their reliability, the effectiveness of the 5.56 round, the sturdiness of the platform, etc. etc. I drank the piston kool aid for a while, until I read enough from people who shoot people for a living to go right back to Direct Impingement systems.

This is not to say that piston guns are not effective, but there has been enough time to recognize what they excel at. If you're running an SBR, if you're suppressing your rifle, or running full auto, then pistons excel. If you're not doing any two of these three (and in NJ, you're not), then you're better off going DI.

That being said, if you're going high(er) end I'd recommend a Noveske, Colt, BCM, DD or my baby the KAC.

Not to hijack the tread, but the bolt used in the KAC can only be used in the KAC 15 correct? When I was searching for the perfect AR, that was an issue that I was worried about. It was between the Noveske and the SR-15. Do you keep a spare bolt? I love that Stoner was involved in it, but worried about specific designs, that was what turned me off of pistons guns also, no mil-spec.

Bushmaster makes one legal beagle for NJ right out of the factory i was just given a price on it of $970 Bushmaster A-3 M-4 14" 223 Izzy has a telescope style stock thats factory pinned 10 round mag welded muzzle break

Not to hijack the tread, but the bolt used in the KAC can only be used in the KAC 15 correct? When I was searching for the perfect AR, that was an issue that I was worried about. It was between the Noveske and the SR-15. Do you keep a spare bolt? I love that Stoner was involved in it, but worried about specific designs, that was what turned me off of pistons guns also, no mil-spec.

The proprietary bolt and barrel extension used in the SR-15 were initially the cause of some concern, and mulled about for pages and pages on Arfcom and M4Carbine. The bottom line is that the redesigned bolt holds up to many times the round count that a standard AR bolt does (40k+ rounds). In fact, I've yet to hear about one going down. There is a rebuild kit available as well as a spare complete bolt. You'll basically be replacing your barrel before you replace your bolt.

The proprietary bolt and barrel extension used in the SR-15 were initially the cause of some concern, and mulled about for pages and pages on Arfcom and M4Carbine. The bottom line is that the redesigned bolt holds up to many times the round count that a standard AR bolt does (40k+ rounds). In fact, I've yet to hear about one going down. There is a rebuild kit available as well as a spare complete bolt. You'll basically be replacing your barrel before you replace your bolt.

Isn't that the case with most AR bolts?

Isn't that the case with most AR bolts?

Not so much these days. The thinking was that a bolt/bolt carrier groups should only be mated with the rifle that was to be used with it (meaning, Colt pieces with only Colt rifles; RRA pieces with only RRA rifles; etc). However, most-all manufacturers have now gone to the same template of interior design, and it is perfectly fine to mix and match. I believe this was the case because the amount of government contracts given to different companies, and yet all of them having to be able to be intertwined with each other regardless.

What makes the SR-15E3 unique is that it does use a proprietary bolt/BCG. The mechanics are not different, but the design is more robust, and less finicky I could imagine. Like CylinderHead, I've yet to hear of one failing... I've heard of barrels getting shot out because of the amount of rounds through them, but haven't heard of any bolt/BCG issues.