YankeeFan

Another question regarding handgun permits from a new NJ resident

OK, I'm just trying to understand the rules around handgun permits here. I recently (two and a half weeks ago) applied for my FID and three handgun permits. I understand that I can only purchase a handgun every 30 days --and-- that handgun permits expire in 90 days. Does that mean that I would have to purchase my first handgun the very same day I get my permits in order to be able to purchase all three within the 90 day window and not have to request an extension? The reason I ask is because when I turned in my paperwork at the Bayonne PD, the detective questioned why I wanted three permits, and said "make sure you use them before they expire, because the chief will not be happy if you have to ask for an extension". WTF? This state is really f****d up!

You need to wait a month between perchases. I wouldn't worry about getting an extension. Who cares if the chief gets mad about changing an expiration date on a permit. That's part of his job - to serve the public. I know people that have gotten them extended after they expired. And you're right, this state is F'd up. That's what happens when a bunch of libs control the state.

OK, I'm just trying to understand the rules around handgun permits here. I recently (two and a half weeks ago) applied for my FID and three handgun permits. I understand that I can only purchase a handgun every 30 days --and-- that handgun permits expire in 90 days. Does that mean that I would have to purchase my first handgun the very same day I get my permits in order to be able to purchase all three within the 90 day window and not have to request an extension? The reason I ask is because when I turned in my paperwork at the Bayonne PD, the detective questioned why I wanted three permits, and said "make sure you use them before they expire, because the chief will not be happy if you have to ask for an extension". WTF? This state is really f****d up!

Here's an example. If your permit is dated 11-22-10 but they don't give it to you until 12-2-10, you still have until 12-22-10 to buy the first one, 12-23-10 to 1-23-11 for the second one, and 1-24-11 to 2-22-11 for the third one. Yeah, it's a stupid rule.

Your math is off a bit.

Say you buy a gun on day 15 with Permit 1.

35 days later, you buy at gun on day 50 with Permit 2.

41 days later at day 76, you buy a gun with Permit 3.

You still have two weeks left on your 90 days.

Your math is off a bit.

Say you buy a gun on day 15 with Permit 1.

35 days later, you buy at gun on day 50 with Permit 2.

41 days later at day 76, you buy a gun with Permit 3.

You still have two weeks left on your 90 days.

Yeah...I just realized that...I guess I need a little more coffee to kick-start the brain this morning...it is monday after all. :icon_mrgreen:

Also - if you know what you want, order it beforehand. A shop can hold the gun for you until the 30 day limit is up.

The only caveat to that is that he doesn't have his purchaser ID yet. While I never exactly tested it, some gun shops may want to see the purchaser ID so they know you aren't just yanking their chain. I suppose they really wouldn't care much if they have a significant deposit.

• Like 1

The only caveat to that is that he doesn't have his purchaser ID yet. While I never exactly tested it, some gun shops may want to see the purchaser ID so they know you aren't just yanking their chain. I suppose they really wouldn't care much if they have a significant deposit.

So far this has been my experience. I've been to two dealers (Caso's, and Bullet Hole) and they won't even talk to you about a handgun or show you one unless you have your FPID.

So far this has been my experience. I've been to two dealers (Caso's, and Bullet Hole) and they won't even talk to you about a handgun or show you one unless you have your FPID.

One reason why they would never get my business. Guns are always cheaper bought over the internet!

I'm not sure that it isn't a requirement that a prospective customer show his FID card before being handed a gun at a shop.

I can see it being necessary to prevent any liability on the shop's part for handing a gun to someone who may not legally be allowed to be around, handle or otherwise come in contact with guns.

:icon_e_biggrin: Not bringing in enough Johns? :icon_twisted::lol::p

I see the emoticons, but I think that was a bit over the line, Nick. I don't need to defend Stephanie, she can give as good as she gets. Maybe I'm just like Frank and a bit "Old School".

I see the emoticons, but I think that was a bit over the line, Nick. I don't need to defend Stephanie, she can give as good as she gets. Maybe I'm just like Frank and a bit "Old School".

Thanks. It's cool. Us chat buddies have a "unique" relationship.

Nick's right... the merchandise is getting old. ;)

One reason why they would never get my business. Guns are always cheaper bought over the internet!

Some times that is the case. But, most of the times its not I rather spend the money locally meaning in NJ to support gun shops. Plus after FFL transferring fees and nic and all the minor charges comes out about the same plus if anything goes wrong got to deal with emails. NO not with my guns I rather have somebody I trust by me.

You can buy/shoot @ Shore Shot without an FID. They hold the gun for you until it comes in, but you can come and go as you please for conjugal visits and get her dirty

You can buy/shoot @ Shore Shot without an FID. They hold the gun for you until it comes in, but you can come and go as you please for conjugal visits and get her dirty

This post is the lovechild of the two convo's in this thread. :icon_lol: