Scottcba1

Cleaning a Ruger Mark III competition pistol

I helped my uncle clean his Mark III Ruger competition 6 7/8ths barrel pistol last night. All I can say is WOW....what a pain in the a**!!! The hammer strut thing drove me nuts! In Rugers defense, the gun is a solid shooter and performs well. The owners manual should be a little more model specific which would make it easier to read and follow along with. Little issues taking it apart, nothing major. Once apart cleaning wasnt bad. Saw some scoring/blemishes that looked uncommon for a newer gun with only 200rds through it. The bolt did hang up a bit coming out and going in but nothing big.

Just seems like the whole setup with the bolt, hammer stut and main spring housing with the bolt stop pin are very confusing and different for newbie shooters. Now that I have had the gun apart, cleaned and reassembled after some difficulties I feel i could do it faster and easier but it was a pain for the first time. My uncle will never try to do it on his own I can promise that!

Anyone else have issues the first time they cleaned/disassembled their ruger rimfire pistols?

-Scott

LOL..... ask anyone what I call mine.....

Great shooter, but the reassembly takes all the fun out of the gun for me....

As soon as the M&P .22lr pistol is released..... The MKIII will be sold.....

Your not kidding Troy...My uncle loves this gun but was completely turned off by the disassemble, cleaning, internal blemishes and reassembly.

-Scott

It helps to watch the videos on youtube or on the ruger site right before or even while you're doing it. I can see why it's a problem though, the manual isn't clear at the special fun of putting the bolt back in. :)

Couldnt agree more! Funny cuz my uncle is in Lanoka Harbor and I see your in Lacey...should have contacted you for assistance! :icon_e_biggrin:

-Scott

MKII, clean it assembled. Take down twice a year is OK. Easy way takes 30 seconds to reassemble, hard way takes 30 minutes. I have done it both ways. There is a knack to it. Majestic sells a bolt stop that allows me to remove the bolt with an Allen wrench but I have not yet installed it. Will try to post pictures and a review when I do.

MKII, clean it assembled. Take down twice a year is OK. Easy way takes 30 seconds to reassemble, hard way takes 30 minutes. I have done it both ways. There is a knack to it. Majestic sells a bolt stop that allows me to remove the bolt with an Allen wrench but I have not yet installed it. Will try to post pictures and a review when I do.

For sure put that review up when ya do. I saw it but after taking it all apart the first time and not needing a mallet or anything to take out that bolt pin I didn't order it.

Saw some scoring/blemishes that looked uncommon for a newer gun with only 200rds through it.

My mark ii is older, bought used, and I have noticed that there are many surfaces that don't seem "finished" inside the gun. In any case, the gun's a shooter and a good one and the exterior looks great...

Yes, reassembly is difficult. Once you get the hammer strut thing figured out it's much easier but this is not a gun I would strip in the field. I seriously recommend a bore snake for these guns. 22LR is fairly dirty stuff but the bore snake keeps it pretty clean.