n4p226r

Question about quality of 9mm FMJ ammo

I pay $20/25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. Less than $1/round but it's good ammo!

That is problably the best ammo out of the bunch. Either their TAP line or the Critical Defense line.

The most widely used, proven, and consistent rounds in 9mm are probably Federal HST and Winchester PDX. Corbon is damn good but it is less widely used and less proven and the results seem somewhat variable. I would have no concerns carrying it and it might even work better.

If I didn't have at least 100 rounds of my SD ammo through my gun I would always revert to FMJ. Some guns have some problems with some SD ammo. You need to test the ammo in your actual gun.

For range ammo, I like WWB in 115 grain and Fiocchi when I need 158 grain. Secondary are Fiocchi in 115 grain and Federal red box in 115 grain. Due to lower cost. But most of it does not go through pistols so you may be happier with a wider variety of cheaper ammo if it is going through pistol.

I take SD to actually mean home defense since average citizens aren't allowed to carry in NJ. If so, isn't a shotgun a much more practical option as a HD weapon than a handgun, regardless of what ammo?

That's an endless debate on gun forums.

The answer is, everyone has their preference be it shotgun, auto pistol, revolver, rifle, etc.

That's an endless debate on gun forums.

The answer is, everyone has their preference be it shotgun, auto pistol, revolver, rifle, etc.

There's no way in hell i could effectively move through my house with a shotgun and be able to pull the trigger at a moments notice. Maybe with lot's and lot's of practice, but for me a handgun is a much better option. Some guys can just handle a shotgun in a SD situation, some prefer something more manageable.

I personally use Federal 9mm Hydra-shok JHP. I paid about 1$ a round.

There's no way in hell i could effectively move through my house with a shotgun and be able to pull the trigger at a moments notice. Maybe with lot's and lot's of practice, but for me a handgun is a much better option. Some guys can just handle a shotgun in a SD situation, some prefer something more manageable.

I personally use Federal 9mm Hydra-shok JHP. I paid about 1$ a round.

Don't buy the 20 packs, they are just a marketing way to think you are getting something extra special. Look around and you can get the same ammo in 50 packs for ~1/2 the price.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

Don't buy the 20 packs, they are just a marketing way to think you are getting something extra special. Look around and you can get the same ammo in 50 packs for ~1/2 the price.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

I actually bought the 20rd just to try, the prices around here in stores is just absurd. Thanks for the link, i like the ammo so i guess it's time to buy some more, and not get ripped off in the process. The federal AE ammo i buy i get for 200 per 1000 in fmj. in the stores around here same box goes for $15.99 per 50. I can't even walk into a store and buy ammo with out over paying, the interwebs does us good tho.