Pizza Bob

Show Us Your Bolt Action ,308's

Once with JimmyAGR at CJ with the original high rings. There was some strangeness going on during sighting, thought it was me. I then found out when I got home the scope slipped forward in the rings about 1/2".

Hopefully these new rings will have a better hold of the scope, that and that I torqued it down properly.. I'm going to try to get back to the range this weekend weather permitting.

Also just ordered up a complete reloading set with Pizza Bob's help. Costly to get started, but I felt sick buying boxes of $1+ per round of 168gr BTHP "match" grade ammo.. and the 144gr milsurp i have stockpiled just won't do for me.

Who is this Pizza Bob? He seems to be doing very well spending other people's money... :icon_e_surprised:

Lapping your rings in will provide more contact area for the rings to hold your scope. Make sure to torque to spec

You do not lap these rings. They are guaranteed concentric to .0002". The instructions tell you to tighten down one side completely, align your crosshairs, and then tighten the other side - they are so perfect that you get no scope rotation.

Even if the above were not the case, while I am all for lapping steel rings, most manufacturers will tell you not to lap aluminum rings. Unless they are going on a something with large recoil, I prefer aluminum for the lighter weight and the less chance of doing damage to the scope tube - a lot of which are aluminum.

JMHO

And, yes Frank, nothing I enjoy more than spending other peoples money. It has become a necessity of late, as I have little of my own :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yup, followed the instructions on the TPS rings, I was amazed that the cant was not affected after tightening everything down as they indicate.

I usually don't need help with spending $$, but when someone does per say "help"... its downright dangerous to the wallet. :blink:

Once with JimmyAGR at CJ with the original high rings. There was some strangeness going on during sighting, thought it was me. I then found out when I got home the scope slipped forward in the rings about 1/2".

Hopefully these new rings will have a better hold of the scope, that and that I torqued it down properly.. I'm going to try to get back to the range this weekend weather permitting.

Also just ordered up a complete reloading set with Pizza Bob's help. Costly to get started, but I felt sick buying boxes of $1+ per round of 168gr BTHP "match" grade ammo.. and the 144gr milsurp i have stockpiled just won't do for me.

Hey Dan what kind of reloading equipment? I have two good recipes for that rifle and 175 gr Sierra bullets, runs well in both Don's and mine.

Hey Dan what kind of reloading equipment? I have two good recipes for that rifle and 175 gr Sierra bullets, runs well in both Don's and mine.

Hi Jimmy,

Yikes, My first bullet order has 168gr. I hope that's OK. I figured I'd start with 168gr's then try 175gr's. Darn I should have ordered both in the same order... was the heat of the moment. I think i was actually sweating when I hit "complete purchase". :icon_lol:

Oh I got a whole bunch of stuff here.

Forster Co-Ax press and dies

Forster trimmer

RCBS 750 digi scale

Lyman 55 powder measure

Lyman trickler

accessories like debur tool, funnel, trays, tumbler, puller, reloading book, etc

100 Lapua .308 shells. Sierra BTHP 168gr bullets, Varget powder, CCI LR primers

edit: logic on the 168gr was that I could also use them with the proper charges in my M1A. I was afraid 175gr would be too heavy for it.

Hi Jimmy,

Yikes, My first bullet order has 168gr. I hope that's OK. I figured I'd start with 168gr's then try 175gr's. Darn I should have ordered both in the same order... was the heat of the moment. I think i was actually sweating when I hit "complete purchase". :icon_lol:

Forster trimmer

RCBS 750 digi scale

Lyman 55 powder measure

Lyman trickler

accessories like debur tool, funnel, trays, tumbler, puller, reloading book, etc

edit: logic on the 168gr was that I could also use them with the proper charges in my M1A. I was afraid 175gr would be too heavy for it.

You did fine with the 168grain. They will work in the Garand and your Bolt Action. I have had no problems with the Sierra Match Kings in my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine. I haven't put them through my Garand yet because I have so much surplus ammo for it, but I have read enough to know they will work.

Hi Jimmy,

Forster trimmer

RCBS 750 digi scale

Lyman 55 powder measure

Lyman trickler

The 168's will be fine. I have tried both and the difference is negligible. I just found that the rifle really like the 175's, doubt you would notice the difference. So now we have to get out there and re-sight that baby. Working this weekend though so if you don't get out we can meet up again next Saturday.

can you guys provide a link to the bullets and your recipe?

Bry I got the initial loads of the powder companies websites and sniperhide. Then it was a matter of just making 10 at a time and playing. Don used a few in his and seemed to like them. Those were Sierra 175 MKBT with IMR 4895 41gr, Win LR primers and new win brass. I also use a little hotter load same setup with reloader 15 43.1gr. I do not have a chrono but they are consistent in accuracy out to 300yds in my gun. YMMV and please research any load you are going to try as I am by far an expert. :)

The 168's will be fine. I have tried both and the difference is negligible. I just found that the rifle really like the 175's, doubt you would notice the difference. So now we have to get out there and re-sight that baby. Working this weekend though so if you don't get out we can meet up again next Saturday.

Sounds good Jimmy. Maybe it will be 65 and sunny in a few weeks. ;)

I'm going to be shooting a whole lot more these days. I have to say our discussions at the range fed my reloading bug. I can't wait to start. I bet there is a certain satisfaction when your handloads go bang and perform admirably.

First day home Remington 700 308 sps

DSCF4343.jpg

now after some slight modding

IMG_0503-1.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Minor mods-

1)Bell and carlson medalist light tacticle

2)Wyatts trigger guard with 5 round detachable mag

3)weaver bases and rings 2 piece

4) millet scope 6-16x54 mm with butler creek flip up caps

i started reloading and still working on the best load so far i have slightly less then moa

5 shot groups.

Hey Guys,

Here's mine...please excuse the crappy photos, I'm not a very good photographer...

Respectfully,

Harry

KMW built LH Remy 700 SA; .308 95 Palma, Kreiger 26" MTU; Shilen Trigger; McCann MIRS; Badger AICS DBM Bottom metal; Pacnor fluted bolt; McMillan A5; Loggerhead ICP, 3W LOP, 2 FC swivels, Short Rail in forestock, wearing IOR 6X24X50 Illum MP8-Dot, in VTac(TPS) Rings. Finished in Ceracoat.

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1032.jpg

Hey Folks,

Thanks. Yeah, Terry has built some nice rifles for folks. This one had some...uhh...growing pains. He did this one more or less to my specifications. I guess he got a little confused over the year it too him to get it together, particularly since he quoted me a delivery time of four to six months. I asked for a full length rail in the forearm, since I'm a smaller guy and wanted to have some adjust ability for a hand stop for position shooting. He gave me a short one to make it easy to put on and take off my bipod, according to him. I took a pass on returning it, as I need the rifle for an upcoming class, had already waited a year, and he was thinking it would take "at least" another two months turn around time to get a new rail, get it anodized the correct color, installed, ect, ect....

I also needed to go to a second smith to have the chamber fixed. Somehow during construction, he short reamed the chamber, must have gotten distracted, then came back and assembled and finished the rifle, without ever finish reaming it. It still shot a couple of .3 groups on his test target...It started giving me fits during the class with extraction and chambering issues, particularly as the temperature rose over the week. When I contacted him about it, he basically accused me of damaging the rifle by using factory M118LR ammunition, and that he would take a look, but in not so many words, it had to be my fault... Ultimately, I went with the "screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me", and went with another smith who was a friend of a friend. It was the second smith that found the short roughed in chamber. I wonder what the first smith might have found and what it might have cost me to repair it...It now shoots very well with the chamber work by the second smith...

The rail in question is a McCann MIRS...It's made from aluminum so while a larger piece, it doesn't add as much weight as you might initially think, and gives me a ton of mounting space for NVG, lasers and light. This one was the first left handed model the company ever made. When I ordered one, they initially planned to modify a right handed base to fit my stick. When I got the package I was really pleasantly surprised to find out they had made thier first lefty for me. If there's a down side to em, they are hell for expensive, and due to the milled in MOA, they are fairly tall, requiring a high cheek piece to get a good alignment. Still it gives me a ton of mounting options, and I am pleased with the final product...I had planned to paint it, as Terry refused to coat it in Ceracoat with the rest of the rifle, as he was concerned tolerances might be affected...As it it, I haven't gotten around to it yet, and with a little ghillie, it becomes a moot point...

So, yeah, all in all it was a little bit of a journey to get it here, and there were some growing pains along the way, but she shoots like a dream now...I had planned to change the glass, but thus far haven't really been able to find enough of a reason to do it...just yet ;) Thanks again...

Respectfully,

Harry

Crackaloon, how do you like this bottom feeder? I have a couple of Savages that I have tuned up a bit and love them. I'm really don't 'need' another bolt gun, but haven't ruled out this Savage. I am leaning towards a M1A Scout 18" with a muzzle brake for my next 308. My son might get my Weather Warrior and I might have to help myself to the PC. My issue is that I use my 308's for hunting and humping a HB in the field gets old fast. My precision '308' is a .300 UltraMag...it shoots .308 bullets.

CIMG3748.jpg

Savage 10pc, Nikon laser irt bdc, EGW hd 0moa base

Crackaloon, how do you like this bottom feeder? I have a couple of Savages that I have tuned up a bit and love them. I'm really don't 'need' another bolt gun, but haven't ruled out this Savage. I am leaning towards a M1A Scout 18" with a muzzle brake for my next 308. My son might get my Weather Warrior and I might have to help myself to the PC. My issue is that I use my 308's for hunting and humping a HB in the field gets old fast. My precision '308' is a .300 UltraMag...it shoots .308 bullets.

I have a Savage Model 10PC too. I like it every bit as much as the Remington 700 Police I owned for about five minutes. It is a heavy barrel, but it's on the shorter side for a tactical rifle and is a lot lighter than that Remmy Police. I have only shot SLC match ammo through it so far but have prepped some 168grain SMK handloads that I am ready to try out come the thaw. Some people don't care for the accustock as it's not the same "grippy" feel as others, but it is very rigid and the gun shoots very well. I put away my mag and got a "Fred Sled" from sharp shooter's supply. I don't mind feeding one at a time.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Okay I'll play and show my ugly Betty's. Nothing special, but I know them and know them well. Not bull barrels, but certainly one shot, one kills.

Savage 308 Weather Warrior 16FS, Bell & Carlson Stock, Accu-Trigger, David Tubb's Final Finish (Fire Lapping Barrel), Bushnell 3200 3x-9x (I keep say I need to replace the scope going on about 6 years now), Punisher Sticker, some crappy camo wrap on the barrel, Silent Rubber Thingy sling (best damn hunting sling ever). Shoots 150g Nosler BT/AB on average .6-.7 MOA. Best groups come from 125g Nosler BT's, but 125's aren't enough for big white tail / black bear.

Savage308-2.jpg

-

Savage308-Punisher.jpg

Savage 300 RUM, Boyd's Laminate Stock w/ bedding), Sharp Shooter Supply trigger, Parkerized 28" barrel with custom brake, Bushnell 4200 6x-24x Mil-Dot, Leupold Rings, Friggin Tack Driver. Consistent .5 groups shooting 180g Swift Scirocco or Nosler 180g AB at around 3200 fps. Kicks like a 308 / 30-06.

Savage300RUM.jpg

Hi Harry,

I feel your pain getting through the process to make your rifle work. I am new to precision rifles and am getting my first full custom job built this month by Jered Joplin at APA in GA. With that being said, I have had many custom handguns made by very desirable builders and have run into my share of snags along the way. Everything from extremely long wait times (after being quoted a reasonable wait time) to having a gun that just wont run. Some guys will bend over backwards to make it right with no questions asked and others will not return my emails or phone calls. I do have a couple Terry Cross rifles that I purchased used. One of them is my favorite 308 bolt gun b/c its a laser and handles smoother then any rifle I ever shot. The other one is a used 6.5x47 Lapua that I got for a great price. That one has limited rounds through it by me but it groups and handles very nicely. I may send it back to Terry to get re-barreled in 260 Rem. The reason is that it has a DBM magazine that does not feed the 6.5x47 at all b/c its on a Remington 700 long action. The longer 260 Rem cartridge will feed without a problem and I can load them longer too. All Terry has to do is re-chamber the barrel. I got to talk to him and see how long it would take to get my rifle back. If its a few months then someone else will do the job for me. I will post pics of both these rifles when I get some time this week.

Thanks for filling me in on the scope rail. Interesting history on that one.

Paul

Hey Folks,

Thanks. Yeah, Terry has built some nice rifles for folks. This one had some...uhh...growing pains. He did this one more or less to my specifications. I guess he got a little confused over the year it too him to get it together, particularly since he quoted me a delivery time of four to six months. I asked for a full length rail in the forearm, since I'm a smaller guy and wanted to have some adjust ability for a hand stop for position shooting. He gave me a short one to make it easy to put on and take off my bipod, according to him. I took a pass on returning it, as I need the rifle for an upcoming class, had already waited a year, and he was thinking it would take "at least" another two months turn around time to get a new rail, get it anodized the correct color, installed, ect, ect....

I also needed to go to a second smith to have the chamber fixed. Somehow during construction, he short reamed the chamber, must have gotten distracted, then came back and assembled and finished the rifle, without ever finish reaming it. It still shot a couple of .3 groups on his test target...It started giving me fits during the class with extraction and chambering issues, particularly as the temperature rose over the week. When I contacted him about it, he basically accused me of damaging the rifle by using factory M118LR ammunition, and that he would take a look, but in not so many words, it had to be my fault... Ultimately, I went with the "screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me", and went with another smith who was a friend of a friend. It was the second smith that found the short roughed in chamber. I wonder what the first smith might have found and what it might have cost me to repair it...It now shoots very well with the chamber work by the second smith...

The rail in question is a McCann MIRS...It's made from aluminum so while a larger piece, it doesn't add as much weight as you might initially think, and gives me a ton of mounting space for NVG, lasers and light. This one was the first left handed model the company ever made. When I ordered one, they initially planned to modify a right handed base to fit my stick. When I got the package I was really pleasantly surprised to find out they had made thier first lefty for me. If there's a down side to em, they are hell for expensive, and due to the milled in MOA, they are fairly tall, requiring a high cheek piece to get a good alignment. Still it gives me a ton of mounting options, and I am pleased with the final product...I had planned to paint it, as Terry refused to coat it in Ceracoat with the rest of the rifle, as he was concerned tolerances might be affected...As it it, I haven't gotten around to it yet, and with a little ghillie, it becomes a moot point...

So, yeah, all in all it was a little bit of a journey to get it here, and there were some growing pains along the way, but she shoots like a dream now...I had planned to change the glass, but thus far haven't really been able to find enough of a reason to do it...just yet ;) Thanks again...

Respectfully,

Harry