tblant

CAA Tactical RONI Legal in NJ?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the RONI is legal in NJ? It has an adjustable stock so I believe that along with the pistol grip might be an issue.

Thank you, Joe.

http://www.caatactical.com/viewProduct.asp?ID=267

Hello,

This is actually two fold.

1. Under federal laws this is considered NFA item. It turns your Glock pistol into an Short barreled rifle (SBR). So you would have to go through the NFA process and pay $200 USD to get a tax stamp from the ATF before you could even possess it.

2. With that said: SBRs are NOT allowed in New Jersey. Maybe if it did not have the stock you could have it transferred to a Class III FFL 01 as an AOW (again having to apply and pay $200 USD to the ATF get an NFA tax stamp) since it has a foregrip.

• Like 1

Putting a foregrip on a pistol makes it an AOW needing a NFA stamp?

Yes, that is correct. You would have to fill out a Form 1 and pay the ATF $200 USD since you would be making an AOW before you could even put the foregrip on the handgun (or you could find an FFL 07 SOT Class II in NJ to do it for you then it would be a $5 USD NFA Tax Stamp).

And if you do not believe me like most people on here do not :p Here is information straight off of the ATF website to back up what I am saying:

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

Source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#vertical-fore-grip

Yes, that is correct. You would have to fill out a Form 1 and pay the ATF $200 USD since you would be making an AOW before you could even put the foregrip on the handgun (or you could find an FFL 07 SOT Class II in NJ to do it for you then it would be a $5 USD NFA Tax Stamp).

And if you do not believe me like most people on here do not :p Here is information straight off of the ATF website to back up what I am saying:

Source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#vertical-fore-grip

That's great information, thanks for that. Adhering to federal and state firearms laws is like navigating a labyrinth. The word "quagmire" comes to mind as well. Sometimes you wonder if the laws need a "reformat" to put it in computer terms.

just curious.. but what was the intended result.. there are a few pistol caliber carbines available that are NJ legal..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pistol caliber carbine (type of rifle) would be classified as a rifle (16" barrel of course for NFA and many state laws), so putting a foregrip on it isn't a problem.

The question in interest was around putting a foregrip on an actual pistol (manufactured, marketed, and sold as such). The caliber of the pistol would be irrelevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pistol caliber carbine (type of rifle) would be classified as a rifle (16" barrel of course for NFA and many state laws), so putting a foregrip on it isn't a problem.

The question in interest was around putting a foregrip on an actual pistol (manufactured, marketed, and sold as such). The caliber of the pistol would be irrelevant.

sometimes people want to assemble weapons like this to keep a common caliber...

sometimes they want to do it so they can share magazines...

sometimes they have a need for a lightweight easily maneuverable carbine (think lighter than AR15)

so if any of those are the case.. something like a CX4 storm could fill the role.. be relatively light.. be had in a pistol caliber.. share ammo and magazines (potentially).. and still be modified to accept things like a front grip..

the only reason I asked was to help.. not sure of the original posters intention..

and for what its worth.. the Glock conversion has a stock.. so the difference between say a CX4 carbine and that is only going to be made up at the barrel end.. it may still fill the role needed.. and that is of course the million dollar question..

sometimes they have a need for a lightweight easily maneuverable carbine (think lighter than AR15)

so if any of those are the case.. something like a CX4 storm could fill the role.. be relatively light.. be had in a pistol caliber.. share ammo and magazines (potentially).. and still be modified to accept things like a front grip..

the only reason I asked was to help.. not sure of the original posters intention..

Cool totally understand your point, I sorta thread hijacked so was my fault anyways! :)

I agree with your assessment, as the what is the main goal in turning a pistol into a carbine. Legally it seems to be a mess of a thing to do... as it would be a SBR or AOW.

I owned a CX4 storm for a short time. Was a handly little gun, but I traded it in with some $$ for a Sig 556. :icon_e_biggrin:

so if any of those are the case.. something like a CX4

storm could fill the role.. be relatively light.. be had in a

pistol caliber.. share ammo and magazines (potentially)..

and still be modified to accept things like a front grip..

the only reason I asked was to help.. not sure of the

original posters intention..

and for what its worth.. the Glock conversion has a stock.. so the difference between say a CX4 carbine and that is

only going to be made up at the barrel end.. it may still fill

the role needed.. and that is of course the million dollar

question..

Point taken :)

That MechTech system looks like it's federally legal, since you can never be in a SBR config as it's just one unit for the barrel and stock; assuming that the whole config is 16" bbl and the overall length is 26" without anything else attached (I can't tell from the pictures given). Otherwise if you ever put the upper on the Glock without a stock attached you've built an SBR, and since the stock is detachable, an ATF agent could write you up for constructive possession...

For NJ legality, get the fixed stock; obviously.

That MechTech system looks like it's federally legal, since you can never be in a SBR config as it's just one unit for the barrel and stock; assuming that the whole config is 16" bbl and the overall length is 26" without anything else attached (I can't tell from the pictures given). Otherwise if you ever put the upper on the Glock without a stock attached you've built an SBR, and since the stock is detachable, an ATF agent could write you up for constructive possession...

For NJ legality, get the fixed stock; obviously.

overall length is more than 26" even without the stock attached on all the Mech Tech models

I love pistol carbines, especially ones that take common magazines. My Cx4 is an excellent example of such a rifle. I own the Px4 that uses the same mags are they are a great package.

Now, as far as the OP website, that thing is bad@ss! Which means it's NOT NJ legal.

Maybe if you bought one already built, pinned and with a 16inch barrel than it would pass.

Can't see what would be illegal about it. It has a 16" bbl already or it would be "manufacturing an SBR" federally, and if having the capability to change the stock makes it adjustable, almost any shoulder arm has an adjusyable stock. The barrel is not threaded, the front attachment is crimped on at the factory.