Shawnmoore81

Rugar lc9

I am no expert on firearms, let alone CCW......but I think that I would feel better with a gun that had SOME kind of safety mechanism. Whether it is a manual safety, or something similar to the Glock safety, or some kind of backstrap safety like on the 1911 or XD.......I just don't think I want to rely on a "heavy trigger pull" as my insurance that my gun won't go off while I'm carrying.

the trigger on some guns are so stiff accidentally engaging them would be extremely difficult borderline impossible....

100 years before the glock was mid-late 1880's and semi-autos were not common. If your talking about the years in between, then meh. Its like saying I shouldnt drive a direct injection car because they werent direct injection when they first came out. I still dont get your logic.

If you were talking outboards 10 years ago this would have been very good logic.. kaboom was not only a household cleaner or your favorite gun at the range..

the trigger on some guns are so stiff accidentally engaging them would be extremely difficult borderline impossible....

Makes no difference to me. I could have a 15 lb. trigger and have a grip like a bear to shoot it......I don't want to rely on that to keep the gun from going off. I am not saying that it isn't safe, but I wouldn't be comfortable relying on that.

• Like 1

Makes no difference to me. I could have a 15 lb. trigger and have a grip like a bear to shoot it......I don't want to rely on that to keep the gun from going off. I am not saying that it isn't safe, but I wouldn't be comfortable relying on that.

There are many successful designs historically that do rely on a long, heavy trigger pull to provide safety. Revolvers come to mind right away as do many different models of Semi-Autos (CZ, Sig, HK, Walter, etc...) The NYPD for example feels alot more comfortable with their officers carrying their Glock/Sig/S&W with the NYPD +12# triggers. They found that it did in fact reduce the risk of a negligent discharge in the field.

I am no expert on firearms, let alone CCW......but I think that I would feel better with a gun that had SOME kind of safety mechanism. Whether it is a manual safety, or something similar to the Glock safety, or some kind of backstrap safety like on the 1911 or XD.......I just don't think I want to rely on a "heavy trigger pull" as my insurance that my gun won't go off while I'm carrying.

DAO revolvers have been carried FOREVER in a pocket or somewhere on the body. That's the idea of having it DAO. A 12 pound trigger pull on a revolver or that Sig P290 is the only real safety you need. 12 pounds is heavy and it would take alot, ALOT, for it to go off on you accidently.

• Like 1

DAO revolvers have been carried FOREVER in a pocket or somewhere on the body. That's the idea of having it DAO. A 12 pound trigger pull on a revolver or that Sig P290 is the only real safety you need. 12 pounds is heavy and it would take alot, ALOT, for it to go off on you accidently.

And a lot to shoot accurately with a 12lb pull too.

• Like 2

Agree fully.. I was hesitant to say that one NEVER accidentally went off.. because I am sure the second I say that there will be 12 posts showing incidents where that happened... but 10+ lbs.. how would you ever accidentally discharge that..

And a lot to shoot accurately with a 12lb pull too.

It can and is done all the time. Not trying to brag but I can shoot accurately out to 10 yards with a 2in snubby, which is about the max distance I'm gonna need it for.

Again....I understand that it takes a lot for a 10lb trigger to be "accidentally" pulled by something....anything. I am not saying I think it is unreliable or unsafe. I am simply saying I don't know if I would be comfortable relying on that as my only insurance that the gun doesn't go off. It may be effective, but if I don't feel safe with it, then it won't work for me. Only time and experience will tell.

Again....I understand that it takes a lot for a 10lb trigger to be "accidentally" pulled by something....anything. I am not saying I think it is unreliable or unsafe. I am simply saying I don't know if I would be comfortable relying on that as my only insurance that the gun doesn't go off. It may be effective, but if I don't feel safe with it, then it won't work for me. Only time and experience will tell.

Which is exactly why I wanted a pistol with a safety/decocker for my HD Gun. Px4 Storm type F fit that perfectly.

• Like 1

Which is exactly why I wanted a pistol with a safety/decocker for my HD Gun. Px4 Storm type F fit that perfectly.

A HD gun is a little different for me. You are not carrying it around for 10 hours a day. A HD gun is something I would feel more comfortable with not having a safety.....although I would likely keep the chamber empty.

Side note, I held a Px4 at my gun shop today....the grip was just a little too small for my hands. Otherwise it felt nice.

A HD gun is a little different for me. You are not carrying it around for 10 hours a day. A HD gun is something I would feel more comfortable with not having a safety.....although I would likely keep the chamber empty.

Side note, I held a Px4 at my gun shop today....the grip was just a little too small for my hands. Otherwise it felt nice.

Im the other way around. If im carrying, the trigger is shielded and I'm in 100% control of the firearm. If its in my nightstand with no safety, you grab it the wrong way and it goes boom because it wont be in the same spot same orientation every time. Chamber empty wouldnt be a consideration for me. Alas, I dont keep a loaded pistol kickin' around in my nightstand so meh

See it's different for everybody. I wouldn't keep a handgun loaded with a safety off either way....just that I would rather do it with a HD gun before a carry gun. Either way....I think what matters is that the USER is responsible. If you carry and your only "safety" is a heavy trigger pull, I think that's FINE as long as you do it responsibly. It's just not something I am comfortable with doing myself. Everyone is different.

I like my guns ready to rock without buttons, gizmo's, levers, dudads, duhickys, switches, or anything else that I don't need. My safety is between my head! Now, having said that, with a little one running around the house it makes placement of said blasters different.