Lunicy

Friend is mental, can he get a card?

If his doctor says he is fine, he should be ok. Many people go to a shrink, to talk to someone from time to time. Had a client go to a shrink after they had a miscarriage, and then divorce. He was on meds for a while, but is perfectly fine now.

Well then you need to wake up and be a little smarter about the words you use. The word "mental" and safe responsible gun ownership do not compliment each other. All you did was raise some eyebrows and do your friend a dis-service.

• Like 2

I saw a psychiatrist a couple years ago and was put on anxiety meds, i slowly stopped taking them after they gave me a really bad panic attack(something that never happened before). Since then i have been fine, i think it was just a depressing time for me, school sucked and it seemed like every thing i did lead to failure. I got my act together and once i concentrated on doing good in school, i actually started doing good(who would have thought!), and that lead to a more healthy and positive attitude. None of this ever came up when i applied, and i actually didnt even think about it until after i received my permits and card. I'm not sure but i dont think the state even has a way to check for these type of situations, these are usually private practices, and your file is only found there, they would have to specifically know which doctor to call, opposed to being admitted to an institution.

I've been a character reference for many people over the years, both for FID's and handgun apps. Only one time did I not recomend someone. I had a neighbor across the street in a rental. I didn't know him that well. He was a family guy, wife and kids, but he just came across as careless and dangerous. I didn't think he was capable of commiting a crime, but possibly shooting someone accidently while showing off. As much as we hate the current system, it does have it's merits.

No it doesn't. You shouldn't even need references to carry.

Based on the info you gave, I think what you did was reprehensible. If you thought he was careless, you should have told him you would only sign a reference if you could teach him firearm safety and have him demonstrate it. Not that that's any of your business in the first place, but I certainly wouldn't stoop any lower than that.

Well then you need to wake up and be a little smarter about the words you use. The word "mental" and safe responsible gun ownership do not compliment each other. All you did was raise some eyebrows and do your friend a dis-service.

100% agreed.

No it doesn't. You shouldn't even need references to carry.

Based on the info you gave, I think what you did was reprehensible. If you thought he was careless, you should have told him you would only sign a reference if you could teach him firearm safety and have him demonstrate it. Not that that's any of your business in the first place, but I certainly wouldn't stoop any lower than that.

You can sign for him then.

You can sign for him then.

This. Although it would take a pretty serious condition for me to say I don't think someone is capable of handling firearms.....I would do it. I don't want that on my conscience if I ignored obvious signs and the person ended up being violent, but was able to legally obtain guns because I signed for him.

The guy I was refering to not only had a drinking problem, he had a drinking and doing stupid/dangerous things problem. He sent himself to the hospital one night when he was shoving full capped beer bottles down his chimenea. One of those beers ended up being a squib load, but finaly went off when he was looking down the chimney. :icon_lol: Teaching this guy safe firearms practices would be irrelevant. He's qualified as mentaly deficient if you ask me.

As the son of two psychologists I have heard anecdotally many many stories about people and their mental illnesses. Just a few things I want to add,

Only SOME families can be counted on to raise the flag of mental illness. Some are too poor to pay for psychiatric care, some don't want to be put on drugs, some are afraid having their children locked away forever and some don't want to in any way bring what they belive is harm to their familiy members, etc and so on...

If you can agree this is true ( I believe it is fact, but you all can make up your own minds) then you can see that sometimes it is up to others outside the family to bring certain things to the attention of authorites or mental health practitioners.

If the case mentioned here, there is very little for anyone to make a decision. There are far to many things a trained psychologist looks at for any of us to know for sure what is going on here.

For instance, a person going to a psychologist could tell the doctor one thing and his friends and family another. Those discussions are private. Just because you are aware he is going and tells you it is for one thing doesn't mean you have the full picture.

Your friend should enter all the information asked on the application form and not try to dodge anything. From what you decribe he may not need to enter anything about it at all, but only he knows for sure what is going on there. He needs to enter it honestly and not fudge it just so he can own a firearm.

I've signed for a few people and I don't like the way NJs system is setup, but since it is this way I use it to make anyone who wants me to sign for them at least learn basic firearms safety

Want me to sign, go to range with me, learn the rules and follow them? ok I'll sign

But there are a few people I know who I would personally never give a firearm to unless they drastically changes their outlook and behavior when it comes to others safety (ie reckless drunk driving, habitual drug use beyond pot and putting other people in danger through careless behavior and a general disregard for anyone's safety)