Lunicy

Friend is mental, can he get a card?

Living in a free society can be a frightening thing. There is no way to stop incidences like Tucson or VA Tech without draconian abuses of freedom or privacy. You all seem so quick to condemn on the anecdotal data related by a "friend" while knowing nothing about the person in question.

Do you remember the hue and cry when Lautenberg drafted a bill that would disallow people put on the terrorist watch list from purchasing guns? No due process. No way to escape the stigma. Very difficult to remove yourself from the list. Now substitute "Mental Illness" for "Terrorist" and that is what you are advocating.

Pima College went as far as they were allowed to. All this hindsight allows us to see the whole picture, while those relating these incidents only got to see small slices of the whole. No one incident would have been adequate to remove this persons rights and freedoms. The only people who may have been in a position to do something were his parents. Denial is a strong non-motivater when it comes to parent & child.

Yes, it is very scarey in a free society, but Benjamin Franklin said it best, "Those who give-up freedom for security, deserve neither."

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

He has meds to take if need be

What exactly does that mean? What if he decides he doesn't need his meds. :icon_lol:

I guess it depends on what he is treated for. If he becomes suicidal or mentally unstable without meds, then no, he should not have a FID and if anything like this is discovered during the background check, he will be denied.

I guess it depends on what he is treated for. If he becomes suicidal or mentally unstable without meds, then no

This. There are MANY different things that one can go to a psychiatrist for. If it was court mandated, then no. If it was for depression or some kind of uncontrollable rage, then no. But I know of several instances where someone had A.D.D. and in order to get their prescription, had to talk to a therapist about just everyday life. That is an instance I would be comfortable with. I think that IMMEDIATELY saying "yes" or "no" is jumping the gun (pun intended).

• Like 1

I've been a character reference for many people over the years, both for FID's and handgun apps. Only one time did I not recomend someone. I had a neighbor across the street in a rental. I didn't know him that well. He was a family guy, wife and kids, but he just came across as careless and dangerous. I didn't think he was capable of commiting a crime, but possibly shooting someone accidently while showing off. As much as we hate the current system, it does have it's merits.

no, not a troll, an honest question.

As for mental, my friend is not. You don't pick on your friends? You don't call the overweight one lardass?

He is a real good guy. Has no problems. Has a steady job. etc...

He had a panic attack a few years ago.

He is the worrying type. The doctor gave him some meds to use if need be.

This wasn't meant as a joke. How many of you can say you are perfectly healthy in the head?

i know he's your friend, but if he uses you as a reference, PLEASE be very honest.

I will be truly honest. He can handle a gun. I've known him for 14 years. When his niece died he got, i guess you would call it nervous or panicy. He went to a doc and talk for a while and got it straightened out. He has been fine since.

Since you already have the feelings that you do about him (personally knowing him), you should use your best judgement if you are asked to be a character reference. If you feel that he is not of sound mind to own a handgun, than it is your responsibility to do the right thing and tell the truth on the form you receive from his PD. Even though he will be pissed at being denied, you will be a better friend for protecting him from being in a possible ugly situation down the road. And he will never know if you responded that he is unfit to own a gun.

Since you already have the feelings that you do about him (personally knowing him), you should use your best judgement if you are asked to be a character reference. If you feel that he is not of sound mind to own a handgun, than it is your responsibility to do the right thing and tell the truth on the form you receive from his PD. Even though he will be pissed at being denied, you will be a better friend for protecting him from being in a possible ugly situation down the road. And he will never know if you responded that he is unfit to own a gun.

I appreciate that.

I just want to save him the $60 ish dollars if they are going to deny it anyway. If I thought he was incapable, i would have told him off the bat they they will deny him.

I know calling him mental probably isn't the right description. I pick on him about it. He pick on me about numerous other things.

How many others have thought (or perhaps have acted upon) to talk to a professional during rough times? That makes him unfit to own a gun?? If the state denies him, so be it. He'll just end up shooting my guns forever.

Let's face it guys, we all continue to live in NJ and put up with the BS of the elite political class taxing 40%-70% of what we earn to pay people whose sole purpose is denying us our liberties and freedoms day after day, all the while we continue to hope for it to change; we are all "mental" on some level... :icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 5

Let's face it guys, we all continue to live in NJ and put up with the BS of the elite political class taxing 40%-70% of what we earn to pay people whose sole purpose is denying us our liberties and freedoms day after day, all the while we continue to hope for it to change; we are all "mental" on some level... :icon_e_biggrin:

Most of us choose to live in NJ. That's outright F@#%ing NUTS. :icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 2

He'll probably be fine. From what I've read across the forums and blogs, if he puts yes to that question, attach a note from his doctor saying he is fine to own and operate a firearm and that would be enough. In extreme cases, they deny you, you go to appeal it, and the judge gives you a chance to get a police level psych evaluation costing hundreds of dollars (close to $1000) and renders his judgment based on the results of his psych eval.

I appreciate that.

I just want to save him the $60 ish dollars if they are going to deny it anyway. If I thought he was incapable, i would have told him off the bat they they will deny him.

I know calling him mental probably isn't the right description. I pick on him about it. He pick on me about numerous other things.

How many others have thought (or perhaps have acted upon) to talk to a professional during rough times? That makes him unfit to own a gun?? If the state denies him, so be it. He'll just end up shooting my guns forever.

Going to a a psychiatrist or therapist just to "vent" every now and then or weekly is totally fine, in my opinion, but being "mental" or "a litte loony" or whatever you want to call it is much different.