Sign in to follow this  
JohnKimble

Thinking about joining the NJNG

so far I am having a great life. I am 32. Can I join the National Guard?

I am a light smoker, maybe 5 cigs a day, I work out so I am in shape.

I also have a full time job in marketing, so would I be able to do this and not miss work?

Can you guys give me a clue if this is even possible?

I am sure there has to be a vet or 2 on here.

Thanks

John

Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter first hand. If you have a friend or colleague who is currently serving or is a vet, I would recommend bringing them along as a means of staying grounded. The recruiter can give you a far better assessment, as well as having access to the current policies.

As for the age policy, I've heard 42, as well as other numbers. Again though, its best to ask a recruiter as they can give you an answer based on the current policy.

Regarding the other caveats, mostly everything can be addressed by a waiver if a person deviates from the standard. Obviously if a person has certain medical issues (asthma and being color blind are big ones), there is no chance. But regarding the waiver, its a situational thing-- so, there is no definitive answer that I or the recruiters could give you (as its a paper process, and probably a sit down with the NCOIC/OIC of the recruiting station).

With that said though. The US Army has been notified to cut something like 50,000 Soldiers from their ranks. How will this effect recruiting? Will it raise the standards? (Not that they are high at all.) So, its another thing to consider.

But again, go to a recruiter, and sit down with them with your questions.

I had a lance corporal in Ramadi who was 34 years old at the time we deployed in 2004. I'm sure the Army has similar age cutoffs so your age should not be much of a factor.

Basic training as far as I know is a full time requirement for at least 6 to 8 weeks. And then there's going to be your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) school and that could be anywhere from another couple of weeks to months depending on the school.

But if you're already concerned about missing work for a month or two, how are you going to cope with a 12 to 18 month deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq or Who-Knows-Where-istan?

If you're ok with that, are you ok taking orders from someone who may be 10 years your junior?

Finally, what do you see about the NG enhancing your life? I'll be honest with you, despite what you see in the ads, the military is rife with idiots, incompetents, and people I would more likely kick in the nuts than shake their hand.

That being said, there's nothing quite like the feeling of hauling a** to a gunfight and knowing the man to the left or the right of you wouldn't think twice about taking a bullet for you.

Talk to a recruiter and he's going to most likely paint a rosy picture of benefits, adventure, camaraderie...etc. Yeah, it's there but there's a flip side.

Remember that 34 year old lance corporal I mentioned? He got killed in the Helmand Province. I buried him about two years ago. His twin daughters were born about a month after the funeral.

And if you're thinking that you won't find yourself in a warzone, or that you'll be at the rear...well, to an asymmetrical warfare fighter (aka insurgent), there's no such thing as a "rear area". So if you end up deploying, don't ever get complacent.

Anyway, just my two cents. Best of luck to you.

I had a lance corporal in Ramadi who was 34 years old at the time we deployed in 2004. I'm sure the Army has similar age cutoffs so your age should not be much of a factor.

Basic training as far as I know is a full time requirement for at least 6 to 8 weeks. And then there's going to be your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) school and that could be anywhere from another couple of weeks to months depending on the school.

But if you're already concerned about missing work for a month or two, how are you going to cope with a 12 to 18 month deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq or Who-Knows-Where-istan?

If you're ok with that, are you ok taking orders from someone who may be 10 years your junior?

Finally, what do you see about the NG enhancing your life? I'll be honest with you, despite what you see in the ads, the military is rife with idiots, incompetents, and people I would more likely kick in the nuts than shake their hand.

That being said, there's nothing quite like the feeling of hauling a** to a gunfight and knowing the man to the left or the right of you wouldn't think twice about taking a bullet for you.

Talk to a recruiter and he's going to most likely paint a rosy picture of benefits, adventure, camaraderie...etc. Yeah, it's there but there's a flip side.

Remember that 34 year old lance corporal I mentioned? He got killed in the Helmand Province. I buried him about two years ago. His twin daughters were born about a month after the funeral.

And if you're thinking that you won't find yourself in a warzone, or that you'll be at the rear...well, to an asymmetrical warfare fighter (aka insurgent), there's no such thing as a "rear area". So if you end up deploying, don't ever get complacent.

Anyway, just my two cents. Best of luck to you.

Even though I haven't been in the military I know plenty that have. That assessment sounds spot on.

Thank you Gunnyr, I appreciate the feedback. I think about it as something I can give back. I have alot of freedoms here, and would like to get involved with something bigger. I run a business, and life has been good.

Join the fire dept!

so would I be able to do this and not miss work?

I went on active duty in 1967, then to the Guard and Army Reserve retiring a year ago in December. Not missing work is the deal breaker for you. Ignoring any extended deployments there are plenty of normal absences from work. Basic is almost 10 weeks I believe and any mos producing school is going to be at least 8 more weeks. A drill weekend is a drill weekend and you must be there, sometimes from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. There's annual training which is 2 more weeks you'd be gone. There are also short term deployments also. One year I had 3 weeks in Europe, came back for two weeks and off to Germany for 3 more weeks.

the military is rife with idiots, incompetents, and people I would more likely kick in the nuts than shake their hand.

I could not say it any better gunnyr. I started as private, made staff sergeant, got commissioned after 15 years and retired as a lieutenant colonel so I dealt with them on all levels up to two star. It may be requirement that a certain percentage of each rank has to be an idiot or incompetent. I always worked for the government as a civilian. I worked for city, county, state, and federal government. the required percentage of incompetents is at least the same as the military, maybe higher.

Join the fire dept!

In most cases you'd be busier on the first aid squad.

I do believe the NJNG gets sent to "bridges and tunnels" deployments

more than most. These are the guys standing around penn station and all. That is a non combat zone deployment that means you get to pay your taxes with your reduced pay and not nearly enough deployment protections.

If I had to do it again I would have joined the ANG, but even they have massive stateside deployments. At your age with the current requirements and cut backs it might not be

possible. These things change quarterly so find out now before you put more thought into it.

JohnKimble,

You already got off to a bad start, by wondering if you were going to miss much work. That means that you cherish you career more then your service. And this is not a bad thing, and dont think I am putting you down. I am not, because anyone that is processing the thoughts you are is worthy of further conversations.

I will say this, listen to what Griz just said. I dont know him, but IMHO he spoke volumes. Plus, if you really want to give back for the nice life you lead, very admirable, join your local volunteer EMT squad. You will get to help and give back to people in ways you never dreamed of.

Thank you Gunnyr, I appreciate the feedback. I think about it as something I can give back. I have alot of freedoms here, and would like to get involved with something bigger. I run a business, and life has been good.

John, in all seriousness, if you're already running a business, you're giving plenty. Spend the time and energy to grow it. As much as you might think highly of military folk, remember that everything they do takes money away from the productive sector. If anything, I should be thanking you for doing what you do.

Right now, we don't need to worry about some Arabs with AK's. We need to worry about fixing a broken economy. The solution is going to come from people exactly like you because you have the expertise to serve a need that others are willing to pay for. The people who know how to turn a profit and keep others employed are going to be the saving grace of this country. But I don't mean the big shot corporatists and their political cronies when I say that.

Hell man for what it's worth, I wish I had the gonads to strike out on my own.

Good on you sir. You don't owe anyone a damn thing in my book. You're able to make a difference without having to pull a trigger to do it. That counts for a lot.

And please don't take anything I say as being down on the military. I'm not really. There are some genuinely fine human beings there. I'm just pointing out some of the things you'll never see in some commercial, especially if that commercial has some dude climbing a rock wall and then fighting a lava monster.

• Like 1

The solution is going to come from people exactly like you because you have the expertise to serve a need that others are willing to pay for. The people who know how to turn a profit and keep others employed are going to be the saving grace of this country

John, it's people running small businesses that is going to pull the country out of the economic hole we are in. gunnyr is 100% on this.

It hasn't been mentioned but another deal breaker for you is as a private you'd only be making about $1400 a month gross as a private. Not bad if you are out of high school and you have your rent, food, and medical paid for already. I had to pass up a slot in flight school when I was a staff sergeant. E6 was a lot less than I was making on my civilian job and my wife and kids would have had to eat cardboard for 10 months while I was off learning to fly.

John, in all seriousness, if you're already running a business, you're giving plenty. Spend the time and energy to grow it. As much as you might think highly of military folk, remember that everything they do takes money away from the productive sector. If anything, I should be thanking you for doing what you do.

Right now, we don't need to worry about some Arabs with AK's. We need to worry about fixing a broken economy. The solution is going to come from people exactly like you because you have the expertise to serve a need that others are willing to pay for. The people who know how to turn a profit and keep others employed are going to be the saving grace of this country. But I don't mean the big shot corporatists and their political cronies when I say that.

Hell man for what it's worth, I wish I had the gonads to strike out on my own.

Good on you sir. You don't owe anyone a damn thing in my book. You're able to make a difference without having to pull a trigger to do it. That counts for a lot.

And please don't take anything I say as being down on the military. I'm not really. There are some genuinely fine human beings there. I'm just pointing out some of the things you'll never see in some commercial, especially if that commercial has some dude climbing a rock wall and then fighting a lava monster.

Well I appreciate that. I have managed to keep 7 people employed with benefits for the last few years. So thank you. The last part of your post is hilarious.

Gunny put it best. In the military you have the best and worst times in your life. I have military friends all over the world right now that wouldn't hesitate to help me if I called at 2am. The people you meet are friends for life, they are brothers. Now on the other hand, war is hell and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Those who tell you about all of the "glory" haven't been there. Although when I was in the military it was some of the best years of my life, on the other hand there is a reason that I can't sleep at night sometimes. Some things haunt you for the rest of your life, no matter how long it has been. Think about the decisions and options in front of you, and talk to someone who has done it. Many recruiters will tell you it is all fun just to get you to sign your name.

I didn't think about anything when I joined, I was a gung-ho youngin' that enlisted right after 9/11. I was full of piss and vinegar back then and didnt think about what I was doing. Yes I recommend the military to anybody, it is a very noble occupation. I just request that you think about it a lot, and talk with your family about it.

As far as the NJ naval militia, they were reactivated when Whitman was governor, then ordered to disband after 9/11 by McGreavy. There are people trying to get it reinstated, but so far there are no changes in their status.

If you do join the national guard, let us know how it turns out for you. I think that one thing in your favor is maturity.

I was once on a volunteer fire dept and ambulance squad. At least with this you can serve locally, and the training is a lot closer too (plus you don't have to live at a camp). Problem with volunteer depts is that they tend to act like social clubs with an "us vs. them" mentality (my opinion only, based on my observations with four years of service).

I've been looking at joining CERT or NJ Search and Rescue. The only reason I didn't join either recently is because I'm spending most of my time looking for another job.

hey John, not sure if you listen to 101.5 in the morning, but the NJ National Guard (God Bless them and I hope they all return safely) has been shipped over to Afganistan and according to Jim who has 2 sons in the military, things there are really a mess. I'm not trying to coercion your decision, just letting you know if you haven't heard. Make sure you do some research on the updated Rules of Engagement.

Good suggestion on the Urban Search and Rescue. If you like the physical challenge also, this is a good group to look into. They get some interesting deployments to say the least. 9/11, Katrina, Haiti. Real efforts supporting people most needing you help. I have been doing some work with them closely over the last few months and these are some motivated people, really working to be top rated first responders.

http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/taskforce1/index.html