jcerillo70

What is the process to get a carry permit in NJ? Worth it?

Hey guys,

I work in the hood of Asbury Park and as a Auto Dealer i handle alot of cash on a regular basis. I've had people try to car jack me twice. unfortunitly im 6'2 & 280 lbs for their sake but you never know with these guys.

Anyway what would i have to go through? I would assume its a strenuous process, but i feel it is necessary

I have never been in trouble with the law EVER , nor do i plan on it

I have a FID card

is it worth it in my mind? yes

I'm a ffl and had backing from my pd, I went in front of judge and I didn't get it. unless your law enforcement, probably no chance

Wow, so what does the judge ask you?

My dad had one in the 70's, i guess alot has changed

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but if you ever want to see the chance of CCW in NJ, you should consider joining/donating to the Second Amendment Foundation. That's the group suing this fine state of ours! They got my money yesterday and will continue to get it.

http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=346

Although highly unlikely, it is possible to get one that is work related, stamped "valid only while on duty."

It's all in the letter of need. If you have had two attempted carjackings, then, if you have documentation, i.e. police reports, then you can use that to your advantage.

List your responsibilities at work. List the attempted carjackings. Provide the documentation. Don't use the letter of need to argue constitutionality or any of that. Just the facts.

Does anyone know anyone that actually has a permit? I'd assume their "justifiable need" was that they knew someone. I always wondered if any legit permits got through.

Justifiable Need also means you paid the right judge...

Does anyone know anyone that actually has a permit? I'd assume their "justifiable need" was that they knew someone. I always wondered if any legit permits got through.

I know someone that has an NJ carry permit. But even this guy's permit says "only when working". WTF good is that when you are the owner and the statute already permits business owners to carry AT their place of business.

I know someone that has an NJ carry permit. But even this guy's permit says "only when working". WTF good is that when you are the owner and the statute already permits business owners to carry AT their place of business.

Can't you just carry some business papers around with you everywhere? :wacko:

I work in the hood of Asbury Park and as a Auto Dealer i handle alot of cash on a regular basis. I've had people try to car jack me twice. unfortunitly im 6'2 & 280 lbs for their sake but you never know with these guys.

Nope. You won't get it. NJ will just stay that insurance will cover your loss.

My understanding is that NJ courts interpret "justifiable need" to mean that you must have an actual, demonstrable threat against you. Living or working in a dangerous neighborhood isn't enough and past carjackings or other attacks aren't enough. You must be able to show that a specific person is threatening your life and that the treat is real, and even then you probably won't get the CCW. It should not be a problem for you to have your firearm with you at your place of business and transport it home unloaded and locked in your trunk, although that won't help in case of a carjacking, and in light of the Brian Aitken case, having the law on your side may not even be enough.

I was at the range recently and the former Mayor of Englewood came in with a Glock strapped to his hip. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the nepotism and favoritism shown to politicians and retired law enforcement reall amazes me.

My understanding is that NJ courts interpret "justifiable need" to mean that you must have an actual, demonstrable threat against you. Living or working in a dangerous neighborhood isn't enough and past carjackings or other attacks aren't enough. You must be able to show that a specific person is threatening your life and that the treat is real, and even then you probably won't get the CCW. It should not be a problem for you to have your firearm with you at your place of business and transport it home unloaded and locked in your trunk, although that won't help in case of a carjacking, and in light of the Brian Aitken case, having the law on your side may not even be enough.

I was at the range recently and the former Mayor of Englewood came in with a Glock strapped to his hip. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the nepotism and favoritism shown to politicians and retired law enforcement reall amazes me.

the mayor was on duty. :icon_mrgreen:

Yes but as long as said person is wearing his "work attire" t-shirt, he is working therefore continuous carry :p

Though I can quite jealous of him that bastard!

On a similar note.....I think it's time to stop applying even if you think you do have a chance. All we need right now is for them to actually approve an application, just to turn around and say "See? We DO issue CCW." Then all the work of the ANJRPC and SAF will be all for nothing.

It amazes you? Are you new to NJ? :icon_e_biggrin: