tuktuk

1100pm >> knock knock >> hello whoz there

Where would it make sense?

If I turn on the news tommorow and see something like this I'll start carrying at home:

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/race/071667race-ra.html

I may even load several Frank Lautenberg approved 10 round mags for my AR-15 XM-15. :ph34r:

I don't really carry at home. If someone happens to knock, and I was not expecting anyone, I can grab my weapon quickly to answer the door. It is loaded, and at the most 15 feet away. I don't carry it around my house though. If I know I will be hanging out in the living room for the next 6 hours, I MAY put it on the coffee table. The only time I would actually keep it within arms reach is if things started to get pretty bad, like riots and such. Otherwise it remains my "nightstand weapon". Those who choose to keep a weapon within arms reach, I don't consider that paranoid by any stretch of the imagination. Anything could happen.

I think in my case, where the police called my house and said home invasions are taking place, be on the lookout, carrying seemed like a pretty good idea to me...

And I not only 100% agree with you, but I would also have a weapon on me at all times if that happened to me. Riots may have been an extreme example. Let's just say if anything were out of the norm in the area, I would definitely be carrying around my home.

Carrying in your own home seems silly to me. However,if you have young children and you insist on keeping a pistol close by for protection I respect the fact you carry it.

I just feel that if you wait to retrieve your weapon until after a problem surfaces then it would IMO be too late... don't get me wrong.. I am not wondering around the apartment with a rifle slung over my shoulder.. but there are so many small carry/pocket pistols that it seems easy enough to always have a gun on you.. this way... in the rare occurrence that something happens.. you are prepared..

I think in my case, where the police called my house and said home invasions are taking place, be on the lookout, carrying seemed like a pretty good idea to me...

I agree, but letting the police in if they knock on your door is not a good idea.

if they do not have a warrant and I do not want them in my house, they are not allowed in. PERIOD!

If I turn on the news tommorow and see something like this I'll start carrying at home:

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/race/071667race-ra.html

I may even load several Frank Lautenberg approved 10 round mags for my AR-15 XM-15. :ph34r:

I was more curious where you thought it would make sense to carry a handgun than what would make you decide to carry at home.

Where would it make sense to carry a handgun?

I was more curious where you thought it would make sense to carry a handgun than what would make you decide to carry at home.

Where would it make sense to carry a handgun?

Probably anywhere certain unemployed and or undersirable ethnic groups tend to congregate. :) Kapeesh?

My front door and back door are separated by 50' of driveway alongside the house and I can see either door from the opposite entry. When someone unexpected comes a knocking I first look out and see whose there, then if I don't get a bad vibe exit from the opposite door to meet them outside the house.

This past summer of was woken up by loud banging on my front door at 3am by someone shouting for Sheila. No Sheila lives at my house. So I told my wife to call the cops and I grabbed my bedstand pistol and went downstairs to await the cops and defend the reduced mobility mother-in-law who was in her room downstairs totally freaking out.

I could see a dude leaned against the front door banging and moaning on about "Sheila." I thought to confront him then regained my senses and ran back up stairs and poked my head out the second story window above where he was standing. "No %^&* Sheila here man. Cops are coming."

He just said, "oh," and staggered off. The police arrived several minutes later and found him passed out down the street.

The one problem with this habit is one time just after a friend had left I noticed they had left a pair of gloves on the table so when I heard knocking a few minutes later I just took the gloves and opened the door expecting to have a chuckle. Instead there was a teenager pressed up against my back door who took a step in. Without thinking I stepped forward,chest bumped him and slammed the door. It turned out to be a neighbors kid who has autism and just wanted to "see my cat he saw on the front porch."

Fortunately my close calls have only been with the inebriated and the developmentally challenged.

I live in a relatively nice neighborhood, but when I get home I take a handgun out of the safe and put it on my person. This serves to keep me feeling "safe" as well as make it more comfortable when I go out of state and can carry outside the home.

The one problem with this habit is one time just after a friend had left I noticed they had left a pair of gloves on the table so when I heard knocking a few minutes later I just took the gloves and opened the door expecting to have a chuckle. Instead there was a teenager pressed up against my back door who took a step in. Without thinking I stepped forward,chest bumped him and slammed the door...

Reading this thread has led me to realize that I have a comparably risky tendancy to treat a knock at the door much differently if I'm expecting someone.

When I'm not expecting a knock and I get one, particularly at odd hours, I'm very cautious. Look out the window to see who it is, do so armed if it's a particularly suspicious time for someone to knock, and I wouldn't open the door unless I could comfortably conclude it will be safe to do so when I look outside.

However, I'm realizing that I do nothing of the sort when I'm expecting someone. I don't even check to see who it is, I just assume it's the person I'm expecting and open the door the second I hear the knock. Bare minimum, I really need to just install a peep hole to make the process of checking who it is so easy that I wouldn't have any reason to skip it.

I carry at home every night as soon as I get home from work. Now, I only pocket a KetTec P3AT in a Desantis pocket holster, but I consider it my method to either 1. get to the big guns or 2. hold them off long enough to give my wife a chance to get to the big guns. However, I holster it in condition 3 (no round in the chamber) because I am frequently playing with my baby daughter down in our family room. Even though it's tightly secured in a holster within my jeans pocket, I still don't want to take any chances. If someone broke in while we were in the family room (either playing with the baby or watching a movie after the baby was asleep) we would be isolated from the stairwell and unable to either escape out a door or gain access to our other guns. Having this with me would at least buy us some chance to get to safety.

Also, I work out in my detached garage, many times at night. If someone strolled up the driveway and confronted me in there, I'd be a fish in a barrel without anything on me. I have friends who think I'm insane for carrying at home and many more who have never suspected it and never would realize. It only looks like a cell phone in my pocket, anyway. For that matter, if I answered the door, even if it was a cop, he'd have no reason to be suspicious since it conceals so well, and since it's inside my front pocket, if I needed to reach around back for my wallet to show ID (for some reason), it wouldn't unconceal anything.