BlueLineFish

Decisions, Decisions

OK I am looking for a pocket pistol/ bug gun type weapon. I have specific criteria I have to meet for this weapon due to rules I must follow. Must be 9mm and DAO trigger.

I have a sig p250 compact/subcompact and a SW 3953. Like both but sometime a little too bulky for conceal carry. These are the options i have so far and would like to hear your opinions.

Rorbaugh--way too pricy and not sure of reliability

Walther PPS- reliability issues

Kahr pm9

new Kahr CM 9-- questions about reliability on Kahrs

Ruger LC9- not a fan of the external safety

Springfield XD- seems to be same as my p250 sub compact

Am I missing any options. I hate these rules for work.

LCP is .380. I need 9mm. Maybe I will just get the sig 290 and the AMT. Who needs to decide between the two. LOL

Be sure to check out reviews of the new AMT. The older version from 10+ years ago does not have the best reputation for reliability. The new ones are getting much better reviews.

Kahr pm9

new Kahr CM 9-- questions about reliability on Kahrs

I'm not sure that there are any reliability issues with the Kahr's anymore (beyond what one could expect from any gun). This was true 4 or 5 years ago, when it seemed you had a 50/50 chance of getting a PM9 that would work reliably without destroying itself (IIRC they had some peening/galling issues). Which is why I bought an MK9 at that time. Dependent on how you are going to carry it, the MK9 may be too heavy. With no issues, the PM9 may be the best way to go. The new CM9 is the bargain basement version of the PM9 - less milling on the slide. Engraved graphics rather than roll-marked. Staked front sight rather than dovetailed and a conventionally rifled barrel rather than polygonal.

I wasn't aware they are making the "Back-up" again. The originals (AMT) were not exactly bastions of reliability back in the day, so as with any new gun (P290, LC9, Solo) I think I'd want to see some TOJ before I staked my life on one.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I still cant get over the price of the kahr, especially the one with the laser. Thats a grand. That might be the deal breaker.

MSRP on the CM9 is only $565 - which menas the street price should be <$500. One other difference between the PM9 and the CM9 is the takedown lever on the CM is MIM - to some people that makes a difference. The DAO trigger on these is terrific (you are really pulling from a partially-cocked striker position).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

MSRP on the CM9 is only $565 - which menas the street price should be <$500. One other difference between the PM9 and the CM9 is the takedown lever on the CM is MIM - to some people that makes a difference. The DAO trigger on these is terrific (you are really pulling from a partially-cocked striker position).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't follow Kahr's but is the takedown lever subject to falling apart because it was metal injected molded? A gun with lots of MIM parts is clearly inferior to one without, but if it's just for takedown...who cares.

Looks like I may have a winner. Boberg XR9s that isnt out yet. Small and can use +p ammo. Curious on the pricing. Anybody know about it

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Boberg, at this point, is pretty much smoke and mirrors. It has been floating around the Internet for several years. It may be a good design, and he may have working prototypes, but he is trying to finance his operation by selling them before they exist, with no company or production facilities, to my knowledge, to ever make it come to fruition. Send him your money only if you can afford to wait a long, long time - or lose it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Mal - so you're one of those MIM haters, huh? It is just a take down lever. Not sure if it is subjected to any stress or not. Good MIM is just that - Good. With Kahr's reputation I don't think they'd cut corners on that.

In what context tho? It is striker fired, so there is no hammer to cock back or anything like a true SA.

I see what you mean. I may have to take you up on the offer to shoot it to see if I can get away with it. I can see me bringing it to them and them looking up the spec and seeing that it says SA/DA and them telling me no but after seing some shooting videos I can't see why it would be a problem. I will look into it further. Plus I want to see the p290 and the cm9 in the same place and at the same time to render a decision on the two.

I see what you mean. I may have to take you up on the offer to shoot it to see if I can get away with it. I can see me bringing it to them and them looking up the spec and seeing that it says SA/DA and them telling me no but after seing some shooting videos I can't see why it would be a problem. I will look into it further. Plus I want to see the p290 and the cm9 in the same place and at the same time to render a decision on the two.

I'm supposed to go to Shore Shot next Sunday, but my friend can't make it but I could easily be persuaded to meet you there :)

PS: Mal - so you're one of those MIM haters, huh? It is just a take down lever. Not sure if it is subjected to any stress or not. Good MIM is just that - Good. With Kahr's reputation I don't think they'd cut corners on that.

I'm not a MIM hater. I deal with industrial machines that run all day, every day. I'll take a piece of stress relieved machined aluminum over a MIM part, given the choice. It really depends on the function. For a non critical piece(a takedown lever is not critical to primary function), it's perfectly fine.

I'll give you a recent example. We have some industrial printers. They have a clean and purge station that the heads move over to and then a peristaltic pump is activated that draws ink from the head. The problem is, the motors that drive the pumps have gears with a long flat blade from the hub that inserts into the pump to turn it. These gears are MIM and the blades brake. It's a half day job to disassemble/reassemble the entire mechanism to replace the gear. After the third one failed, I "Re-engineered it". I milled the hub flat, drilled two holes in it and inserted some roll pins. Now it doesn't break :). I was even considering sending the gear out to one our shops to entirely make it from scratch. What a pita.

the sig 290 is definitely smaller than the 250 sub, no question about that. I really didn"t warm up to it though. I actually liked the lc9 over the 290. Just fit and finish, feel in the hand. I haven't shot either.

The Kimber solo is small and I believe it's a dao gun also, but don't quote me. It's a metal gun, so it will definitely be heavier.