Ray Ray

TLR-1 WOW!

I thought this might be interested for guys here shopping for tactical weapons-mounted lights. We were shooting at Fort Dix this Sunday, and during a target change I must have turned on the light on my AR because it was blinding me at 25 yards away! We thought it was the sun reflicting off of something on the bench but nope. It was a Streamlight TLR-1. Wow. I have 2 of these and I highly recommend one to anyone wanting to brighten up the night, OR DAY!

Just realized. The TLR-1s that I bought is even brighter than the TLR-1 :D

How do you know?

I think we should make this thread into "pics of your TLR-1 on your blasters!"

Pics tonight

You got me sold. I am looking for one now at a good price. Anyone got any good deals?

Be aware, if you are looking in the secondary market, that the first generation TLR-1's were incandescent. The new TLR-1 and TLR-1S both use LED's. The originals were around 80 lumens IIRC. Plenty bright for in the home (I have one on my SuperNova), but LED's are preferrable for the shock resistance, battery life and brightness.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You got me sold. I am looking for one now at a good price. Anyone got any good deals?

Dvor.com has them for $94 for the TLR-1s and $90 for the TLR-1 right now. If you're not a member, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

Be aware, if you are looking in the secondary market, that the first generation TLR-1's were incandescent. The new TLR-1 and TLR-1S both use LED's. The originals were around 80 lumens IIRC. Plenty bright for in the home (I have one on my SuperNova), but LED's are preferrable for the shock resistance, battery life and brightness.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PizzaBob Thanks for the heads up.

Dvor.com has them for $94 for the TLR-1s and $90 for the TLR-1 right now. If you're not a member, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

Krdshrk, Yeah I saw that and was trying to get it even cheaper. Since that seems to be the best I am going with TLR-1s. If I didn't have a membership I would let you get the $10 credit for offering. :icon_e_biggrin:

Boy, I must have destroyed more brain cells in the 60's than I thought. I was wrong (somebody commemorate that, you won't hear it often :icon_mrgreen: ).

All TLR-1's were LED's. I was correct about the output though. They went from whatever the 80 lumen LED was to a Cree LED which has the output as stated. Sorry for the error. You still need to be aware that the older models are not as bright - but they are LED's. Gotta go take my ginko baloba now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Don't feel bad, Bob - I actually thought the same thing. I know older Surefire X-series lights were xenon bulbs till they got to the X300/400 lights which are LED, so I assumed the same was true with the TLRs. Learn something new every day :)

Boy, I must have destroyed more brain cells in the 60's than I thought. I was wrong (somebody commemorate that, you won't hear it often :icon_mrgreen: ).

All TLR-1's were LED's. I was correct about the output though. They went from whatever the 80 lumen LED was to a Cree LED which has the output as stated. Sorry for the error. You still need to be aware that the older models are not as bright - but they are LED's. Gotta go take my ginko baloba now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On the older models TLR-1 you can tell what LED it has by the serial #. If it ends in C4 it has the brighter Cree LED, if not the previous 80 lumen LED.

It's fun practicing shooting at night. When I go to BA during a weekday, no one is usually there so I turn off the port lights around me and practice with one of my flashlights. I make sure to practice in the dark every now and then as I want to make sure I am able to operate my light and pistol if anything were to happen in regards to a HD situation at night.

I usually use handheld flashlights, so I am looking forward to getting my TLR-1. I'm sure it's much easier to use that and a pistol at the same time rather than a handheld light and a pistol.

Ray, about a month ago I slapped a TLR1 on the SR9 you sold me. I love the light, only drawback is that due to the SR9 frame the light sticks out quite a bit. I have thought about altering the frame to allow the light to sit flush with the end of the barrel. Will post pictures tonight.

Looks great, but the whole purpose of the light is to be able to see at night since this is my bedside gun.

Even if I do get a TLR3, I still want to keep the TLR1. It's a great light, I'm really happy with it, and would definitely put it on another gun with a bigger frame.