theduke

HR 822 National Right to Carry

My link

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill applies to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. It would not create a federal licensing system; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

So wait, after thinking about this for a bit.......NJ does not technically prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms, they just make it damn near impossible to obtain a NJ licence for it. Does this mean that we could get a FL carry permit, and carry here? Loophole anyone?

So wait, after thinking about this for a bit.......NJ does not technically prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms, they just make it damn near impossible to obtain. Does this mean that we could get a FL carry permit, and carry here? Loophole anyone?

Ohhhh Im sure NJ will quickly find a way to close the loophole. They will just restrict ccw to LEO, retired LEO, and security guards. They might even put an exemption in there for themselves.

Does this mean that we could get a FL carry permit, and carry here? Loophole anyone?

Ohhhh Im sure NJ will quickly find a way to close the loophole.

Either that or the law would allow people from out of state to CCW in NJ but not NJ's own citizens.

If this were to pass we could just get an out of state CCW and NJ would have to reciprocate...in theory.

except NJ would probably close that loophole immediatly

Does anybody read before posting?

So wait, after thinking about this for a bit.......NJ does not technically prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms, they just make it damn near impossible to obtain a NJ licence for it. Does this mean that we could get a FL carry permit, and carry here? Loophole anyone?

HR 822 Text

The language of the bill is very difficult to understand, so I stripped out all but the operative text and got this:

a person who is carrying a valid license which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.

What that means to me is that if you live in NJ, which technically allows residents to obtain licenses, and you have a FL permit (for example) then you can carry in every state and U.S. territory, except NJ. And, someone from PA (for example) who has a FL license, could carry in NJ.

Strange.

Can you explain why someone from PA with a FL license can carry in NJ, but someone from NJ with a FL license can't? That makes no sense. NJ does not prohibit the carrying of firearms. This bill states that anyone with a state issued permit (does not state that it requires it to be your state or residence) can carry in any state that issues carry permits, or any state that does not specifically prohibit concealed carry. NJ does not prohibit concealed carry, therefore given NJ's current laws, and the guidelines of this bill, a NJ resident could obtain a FL carry permit and carry in NJ. The language of the bill is not difficult to understand.....you just need to make sure you pay attention to every word, just like any other law.

Can you explain why someone from PA with a FL license can carry in NJ, but someone from NJ with a FL license can't? That makes no sense. NJ does not prohibit the carrying of firearms. This bill states that anyone with a state issued permit (does not state that it requires it to be your state or residence) can carry in any state that issues carry permits, or any state that does not specifically prohibit concealed carry. NJ does not prohibit concealed carry, therefore given NJ's current laws, and the guidelines of this bill, a NJ resident could obtain a FL carry permit and carry in NJ. The language of the bill is not difficult to understand.....you just need to make sure you pay attention to every word, just like any other law.

It's the language after the words "other than" that seems to indicate that the reciprocity does not apply in a state of residence that issues permits, but does apply everywhere else.

Not saying it makes sense, just that that seems to be what it says.

It's the language after the words "other than" that seems to indicate that the reciprocity does not apply in a state of residence that issues permits, but does apply everywhere else.

Not saying it makes sense, just that that seems to be what it says.

I'm sorry, I just looked through the entire link, and couldn't find what you are referring to. Can you please show me what you are talking about?

I'm sorry, I just looked through the entire link, and couldn't find what you are referring to. Can you please show me what you are talking about?

Page 4, line 19 of the actual bill (link below) is where the words "other than" appear, then the reference to states that issue permits to their residents.

HR 822 text

Just so you guys understand, this was voted on a few years ago and missed my 2 votes. Many pro gun senators and Representatives have since filled those anti-gun seats.

This has a very good chance of becoming law.

Page 4, line 19 of the actual bill (link below) is where the words "other than" appear, then the reference to states that issue permits to their residents.

HR 822 text

Thank you for providing the link. You are totally right. Right here:

a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm

Where it says "of a State", to me, means that you do NOT need to get the permit in your state of residence, as it does not specifically state that it must be your state of residence.

Here is what you are referring to:

in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that-

Which means what you said, this law is concerning all of the states EXCEPT the state in which you reside.

a person who is carrying a valid license which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.

The language is a bit confusing. This part at least:

other than the State of residence of the person

It would seem you would need to get a permit from your state of residence to carry there. In short if you are a NJ resident and have a FL permit, you can carry anywhere but NJ.

Deleting "other than the State of residence of the person" makes more sense.

In any case NJ would have to do something regarding rewriting the carry permit statute. They have to take Heller and McDonald in consideration. They could not restrict it only to retired LEOs and security personnel.

Obamanocchio may sign it as he is trying to do damage control, get a democrat Congress back in 2012 and then go after everyone's guns.

• Like 1

The language is a bit confusing. This part at least:

other than the State of residence of the person

It would seem you would need to get a permit from your state of residence to carry there. In short if you are a NJ resident and have a FL permit, you can carry anywhere but NJ.

Deleting "other than the State of residence of the person" makes more sense.

In any case NJ would have to do something regarding rewriting the carry permit statute. They have to take Heller and McDonald in consideration. They could not restrict it only to retired LEOs and security personnel.

Obamanocchio may sign it as he is trying to do damage control, get a democrat Congress back in 2012 and then go after everyone's guns.

I agree. That statement is tough to parse.

A NJ resident with a FL CCW could carry in 47 states. The exceptions would be NJ, Illinois and Wisconsin.

A PA resident could carry in NJ. There's no doubt that this would get the chattering classes howling. "All these strangers carrying firearms into our peaceful state, it's an outrage!". Note I didn't mention that they'd be willing to allow the natives to carry.

My thought is they'd amend the statutes to make the entire state a "sensative area" except on a WMA unless the person is law enforcement or a working security guard. That would effectively eliminate carry again.

Just so you guys understand, this was voted on a few years ago and missed my 2 votes. Many pro gun senators and Representatives have since filled those anti-gun seats.

for all we know, the vote was probably fixed. people say theyre pro gun, just to get the pro gun votes. then when it comes down to actually passing a pro gun bill, they flop and vote against it. wouldnt be the first time. theyre politicians; by definition, liars.

Actually, that was the Thune Amendment put forth by John Thune of MT. It was in the Senate, S-371 and unfortunately, it did fail by 2 votes in the Senate.

Don't forget, after the crying of Blooming-idiot, Lousenberg and Corslime, they amended the bill to say you had to have a CCW from your state of residence.

http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/Thune-senator-Concealed-carry-Reciprocity-Act_1130-1.html