Sign in to follow this  
JackDaWack

AR pistols

As the owner of two of them, there is only 1 NJ-legal configuration of AR pistols

The Bushmaster (or older Professional Ordinance) model with the bare (no shroud) barrel, non-threaded muzzle, carbon15 (not aluminum) upper and lower that weighs in at 50 ounces or lower (unloaded) is it.

linky to current model

Tons of fun to shoot "Thunder" and "Lightening"

I'll bring them out again to a south/central blast if we can arrange another one.

I also have one what everyone above said is true DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE IF THEY SAY YOU CAN HAVE HANDGUARDS ON IT. Mine came with hand guard from ffl and had to ship it to bushmaster 3 months later I got it back minus the hand guards. Can't wait to shoot it.

Do you guys hold it hold it like a pistol or do you use the mag well for the forward hand?

Damn, they want 800 for it! that's almost the price of a complete rifle. I was thinking of getting a lower and having it registered as a pistol and going from there, i havn't looked into it but it seems the biggest issue is finding the right barrel and gas system.

on the cx4 i use a ncstar 1.5-6 optic. im not the best with irons. it hard to see but the ar pistol has a ghost ring and blade. the rail that the eotech is on is hollow underneath so you could use the ghost rings if you wanted to. i actually have i think 4 guns, this being one of them i have acquired over the winter and need to shoot asap :icon_twisted:

I meant how heavy is the whole setup.. isn't that like a "gun over 50ounces" "threaded barrel" type thing? as in NJ issues..

B. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

4. manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

5. a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and,

I'm no legal expert but....."manufactured" weight, to me, means that the pistol must come from the factory weighing more than 50 ounces. The "shroud" is questionable to me too, depends on whether he can hold it by that or not....I would think not. Or maybe by "shroud" the law means the shoulder thing that goes up?

I'm no legal expert but....."manufactured" weight, to me, means that the pistol must come from the factory weighing more than 50 ounces. The "shroud" is questionable to me too, depends on whether he can hold it by that or not....I would think not. Or maybe by "shroud" the law means the shoulder thing that goes up?

the shroud on my CX4 doesn't really get hot at all... could easily handle it... I was not breaking balls.. just saying it seems kind of borderline... maybe worth some additional caution..

just briefly looked it up.. without the shroud it is less than 50 ounces and doesn't have a shroud so %100 legal.. threaded barrel is the only "evil feature".. with the shroud be careful as it might get questionable....

The barrel on a B&T TP-9 is not actually threaded, rather they use a lug system that twist locks the suppressor on.