Sign in to follow this  
gunnarsport

Thoughts on few revolvers I plan to shoot...

I don't know why everyone is saying that revolver is a perfect first handgun. Unless shot single action, revolver trigger pull will prove extremely frustrating to a starting handgun shooter.

This is debatable to no end. My smith 686 has a wonderful trigger pull and isn't overly heavy at all. I can shoot that gun better in DA than I can shoot other semi-auto's. Also anyone I've ever handed that gun to has said the same exact thing. The gun is a proven tack driver and with a 6" barrel your getting a longer sight distance which is going to be more forgiving than any semi-auto in a 4" or shorter barrel length as well. On top of all that, you can start the person out in SA and teach them the proper trigger pull technique and once they get that down they can move onto a longer DA trigger pull and this will over emphazise the fact that you need to be consistently smooth in your trigger pull at all times regardless of the gun.

I don't think there is truly a perfect first gun. I think the perfect first gun is the gun you pickup and when its in your hands it doesn't feel like it's there because it has become one with you. Thats the perfect first gun, anything outside of that in just extra blah. But I wouldn't suggest a snubbie for a first gun :p

• Like 1

+1 to what Matt said. I have a GP100 with 6" inch barrel which is also an excellent shooter. You can shot 38SP or 357Mag. You can't go wrong with a 686 or GP100. The Ruger will be a cheaper, although it is excellent quality.

I brought 2 guys shooting a couple of weeks ago, one had some shooting experience and the other a beginner. We started the night with 9mm pistol and finished with .357 revolver. They both had a blast shooting .357 Mag. I think they liked the muzzle flash and pwerful feel. I don't believe they would have wanted to shoot .357 all night, but it was nice to finish with. My .357Mag home brews sure make for a sweet boom stick.

I'm also a revolver fan. How could you not be?

I'm going to drop my $0.02 in here so you don't make the same mistake I did.

The real cost of the sport is not the gun, it's the ammunition. You mentioned that you want a revolver for strictly recreation purposes so I would suggest looking at a good .22 Caliber revolver. The reason? Cost.

I think over the past four years I've been shooting 9mm handgun, I've spent about $4500 on handgun ammo alone. Since I got a .22 LR adapter for my pistol, my ammo costs have gone from $15 a box to $4. My handgun is strictly for recreation, so I just should have gotten a .22LR handgun in the first place.

There are plenty of good .22 LR revolvers out there. Put in for two permits. If you like shooting for recreation, but then get an itch for a home defense revolver, you can go buy yourself the same type revolver in .38 Caliber with your second permit. Practice your form with the .22 and practice defense with the .38.

If you are set on a .38 caliber pistol, that round will do perfectly well for home defense needs, but I would look into a .357 revolver. There is a simple reason behind this: If you ever need it, It's there. I remember what the store shelves were like back in late 2009, when you could barely find anything. So I'd rather have double the options for ammunition, than half.

One final note, if you want the maximum number of options, look into the Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357 convertible revolver. This revolver comes with two cylinders so that you can shoot .38/.357 in one and 9mm in the other. Now you've tripled your options.

Best of luck.

I don't know why everyone is saying that revolver is a perfect first handgun. Unless shot single action, revolver trigger pull will prove extremely frustrating to a starting handgun shooter

A DA revolver may not give instant gratification and immediate success but what does? I used to think I could shoot until I encountered my first DA revolver and learned how to shoot it. It is not that hard to learn and if you master the DA revolver everything else is easy. Millions have learned to shoot a DA revolver.

I also think a DA revolver is a little safer than a semi auto for a new shooter. You can look at it and tell if its loaded. Can't do this with a semi auto.

You mentioned that you want a revolver for strictly recreation purposes so I would suggest looking at a good .22 Caliber revolver. The reason? Cost.

Agreed but if want it to be versatile, a 4' 357 is the way to go.

""I don't know why everyone is saying that revolver is a perfect first handgun. Unless shot single action, revolver trigger pull will prove extremely frustrating to a starting handgun shooter""

It will depend on each person, but If I had to only have 1 handgun and use it for HP/PP it would be a revolver, I feel more trustworthy in any scenario, if it doesn't fire, pull again, a Semi jams, tap rack pull take more time than just pull.

However I am glad I am not limited to only 1 gun and enjoy both.

One other person mentioned 22LR style, very good choice when it come to RANGE time, lots of fun to shoot, and a lot lot lot cheaper also. But for home defense I would not rely on it, better than nothing, but you want more power and damage for that.

Harry

NJGF, thanks!

My past and my record is SPOTLESS...no criminal record, I dont drink, smoke, I have never used drugs and I NEVER had a speeding ticket.

How old are you again? Boy, are you boring :laugh:

How'd you make out with the Robbinsville PD?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What about a 3inch 686 or gp100 for a nice small recreational gun (for target, plinking, HD)? Is that too small to shoot mostly 38s with the option to shoot a 357 once in a blue moon at the range?

The difference in price between the 686 and gp100 is around 100 bucks. What would justify the additional cost besides the brand name? I've been told customer service is good with both ruger and smith.

• Like 1

What about a 3inch 686 or gp100 for a nice small recreational gun (for target, plinking, HD)? Is that too small to shoot mostly 38s with the option to shoot a 357 once in a blue moon at the range?

If by "too small" you mean barrel length, then yes. 3" is really the ideal barrel length for a .357 intended for carry. The 3" barrel length allows for an ejector rod long enough to have the cases fully clear the cylinder. For a range/HD gun you'd want a 4" to 6" barrel.

If you are talking the overall size of the gun, then the L-frame Smiths are pretty large - they fall squarely in the middle of the line-up. Larger than J & K frames and smaller than N & X frames. The L-frame came about because it could handle a steady diet of .357's. The K-frame while better for carry (smaller, lighter) was OK for use with .357's occasionally but would shoot loose on a steady diet.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Pizza Bob...thanks for asking....im 48 years old.

The officer in charge of permits finally called me back last night. Seems like a very nice guy! I am meeting him on Monday morning to start the paperwork!

So, the process has started.

All I need now is to find someone to teach me to shoot a whole bunch of different handguns to see whats my comfort zone.

So, im still considering the GP100, S&W 686, or maybe the S&W 67, .38 only, but I have also become VERY intrigued by the Beretta 92SF 9mm. I love that old

miltary look of that 9mm. The ambidextrous controls are perfect for this lefty shooter! The Beretta makes the new glocks look like toys.

If you want to look at pistols, the Beretta 92FS is sweet. I have the INOX version which is stainless steel. It shoots accurate and breaks down easily. A good choice.

I second this. I too have the inox version. The mag release can be swapped as well for leftys. Great gun. Everyone who shoots mine enjoys it

How does the Beretta Px4 Storm full size compare to the 92FS? Is one of better build quality than the other?

Can't go wrong with Either, Beretta's are an excellent firearms manufacturer and I own a few myself.

Thanks....

I am still learning towards the revolver has may first gun, but these 2 Berettas (92FS and Px4 Storm) have really peaked my interest, as they are

beautiful looking pistols. I really do prefer the more classic older look of the Berettas that I do the more modern sleek look of the Glocks. I may have a change of heart if I am lucky enough to be able to shoot all these gun before I make my purchase.

Thanks....

I am still learning towards the revolver has may first gun, but these 2 Berettas (92FS and Px4 Storm) have really peaked my interest, as they are

beautiful looking pistols. I really do prefer the more classic older look of the Berettas that I do the more modern sleek look of the Glocks. I may have a change of heart if I am lucky enough to be able to shoot all these gun before I make my purchase.

Shore shot has a 92 to rent. Someone might be able to meet you there with a px4. Personally I prefer steel over composite. Google image search an Inox 92 fs!!! I have shot over a 1200 rounds (since August) and not one failure to fire, failure to feed, or failure to eject. I have shot everything from Remington, American Eagle, Steel cased Wolf and about 400 Ultramax reloads. Shot it ALL. I remember my cousin was having problems with some russain ammo in his Glock. It wouldnt fire it. (Which is rare for a Glock mind you) I put the rounds in my mag and BAM BAM BAM every round.

Personally I would put in for a few permits and but a Semiauto AND a revolver. You will be happy you did. Besides guns aren't expensive. Ammo is

Also... to save you money right now... and time... put in for 6 permits. Not just 1 or 2. Each permit is an additional $2 however it will save you alot of time, as in a few months, you will want more and more.

The 92fs is a great handgun too.

I have shot several revolvers, and shoot them very well, even though it is not my preference.

The 686 is a phenomenal handgun, and even better in the Pro Series, and best yet in the Performance Center model.

YES....

I may actually may go that route and purchase BOTH a revolver and semi automatic, and be done.

If I had to chose now, before even shooting or handling, my choice would be either the S&W 686 or Ruger GP100, and for semi-auto, either the

Beretta 92FS or Px4 Storm. I just LOVE the look of those 2 Berettas, especially the 92FS.

Hey Gunny, my full size Px4 and 686 4inch will be at the Shore Shot this Tuesday night if you wanna shoot either or both. You'll need 357 ammo though, as I aint gots none.

Ray Ray, thats VERY nice of you to make that offer. However, I am a total beginner. You are a certified instructor? I have no idea what is

the proper protocol for first time shooters. I just wanna make sure I follow proper procedures and do everything the

right way.

Also, I definitely wanna shot .38 cal

Ray Ray, thats VERY nice of you to make that offer. However, I am a total beginner. You are a certified instructor? I have no idea what is

the proper protocol for first time shooters. I just wanna make sure I follow proper procedures and do everything the

right way.

Also, I definitely wanna shot .38 cal

Show up at one of the shoots and there will be plenty of people to help you out. Some of us are instructors and some have been shooting for a long time. No one will leave you hanging or let you do something stupid. Seeking instruction is a good thing but do not let it stop you from learning with other shooters who are offering to help. It is going to be a while before I am shooting live ammo, but if you need help with the basics and dryfiring pm me and I can help you out to get ready for live fire.

No, I'm not an instructor. I've been shooting since I was a kid (20 years) and I'll run you the operating procedures of both guns. Just stop by that night, look for the group of guys talking about this forum and introduce yourself. I'm sure others will show your their guns and suggest you buy this or that or the other thing.

the more modern sleek look of the Glocks

:icon_eek:<_<:blink:

Glocks are a great, reliable, duty weapon... however... sleek-looking they are not :laugh:

I may be able to sneak out to SS this tuesday w/ my Ruger if you want to shoot that too. Unlike Ray you can shoot my ammo if you want at no cost :icon_razz:

(i don't have any .357 either though, just .38spl)

:icon_eek:<_<:blink:

Glocks are a great, reliable, duty weapon... however... sleek-looking they are not :laugh:

I may be able to sneak out to SS this tuesday w/ my Ruger if you want to shoot that too. Unlike Ray you can shoot my ammo if you want at no cost :icon_razz:

(i don't have any .357 either though, just .38spl)

All I said was that I have no 357, I didn't say 38 special. If he's going to make a decision on either the GP100 or 686 he should shoot some mag stuff.

All I said was that I have no 357, I didn't say 38 special. If he's going to make a decision on either the GP100 or 686 he should shoot some mag stuff.

I know, honey... just giving you crap. :icon_lol:

Thanks so much guys for you offers to shot!

I will have to look at my schedule to see what night I may be available to head out to Shore Shot.

I also wanna say that I belong to a bunch of other forums, mostly for my cycling...and this is by far the best as far as

everyone being professional, polite and and willing to help me get into this sport/hobby of shooting!