Malsua

8.8 Earthquake in Japan

Really is a terrible tragedy. I have some buddies of mine stationed out there, and all accounted for. My family and extended family have family and friends scattered throughout that region-- so I'm hoping for the best there.

Regardless of the nuclear issue, this will be further devastating for Japan who has been in there 'lost decade,' with yet another set back.

Still, they are resilient folk, and should bounce back.

This is a really horrific. Japan is well prepared for earthquakes and the US standards for earthquake preparedness actually came from visits to Japan and Mexico to see what they were doing because they had such great outcomes from their response to earthquakes. Out of that came the concept of having community members help themselves during events like this when transportation and getting around would be difficult. Now the CERT concept has spread throughout the US to handle a variety of disaster situations and to supplement the efforts of the first responder community.

Earthquakes are no joke. When it comes to earthquakes and faultlines it's not a matter of if BUT when an earthquake will happen. A few years ago I was doing a presentation on the New Madrid Fault Line that goes through 13 states in the central part of the US and I was talking to a group of Home Healthcare Agencies about their preparedness as far as a business for this eventuality. I don't quite rememer what I had the "earthquake" in my scenerio measure out to but I had widespread distruction going on the entire time. So many of the folks in the audience were suprised to even find that they had an earthquake faultline right in their area. They thought that earthquakes only happened in California. Truth is that there are faultlines all over the US and world. We even have several faultlines in the Eastern part of the US.

You have got to feel for the residents of Japan. It is going to take decades to completely recover from a situation like this if they are able to ever COMPLETELY recover. The nuclear issues are just going to add to the situation and make recovery that much more difficult. Look how long it took to recover from the San Fransisco earthquake back in the 80's. This was far more damaging to Japan that that earthquake was in the US.

These events are not just going to play a role on Japan but the entire world too. Many products we in the US depend on Japan for are not going to be made until they can rebuild their infrastructure back to what it was and who knows how long that's going to take. Now we in the US are going to have to lend them resources and I am sure they are going to call in some of the financial backing that they have given to us over the years to assist in their current recovery.

Events like these could not have come at a worse time for our economy.

I wish all the responders and relief workers well as they do their best to help the people of Japan start the recovery process from these devestating events. I was lucky that everyone I know in the area was not in the directly impacted area of Japan. As many of you have shared, the stories I have heard as first accounts of the events that are horrifying. I cannot imagine living through something like this. I have seen some even direct pictures, video and reports from friends in the area that are even worse than what has been post in this thread so far.

yes i have already ordered common parts for yamaha engines that run out half way through the season as these parts will be even more difficult to get.

last year i waited 7 months for an early production hpdi fuel pump, ultimatly it could not be had for the summer season.

sad indeed what these people are going through...

And on another note yamaha oils are made right here in the us so their should be no interuption on yamaha oil products..

This situation just keeps getting worse. Even the most conservative estimates are horrific. I have stopped listening to predictions, they have all been wrong.

This hopefully a good lesson for the US as we have many Nuke build on fault lines. Basically our rivers are usuakky faults, water flows to easy places. One specific example if the Savanaha Nuke in Ga. This is prob a bad place to build nuclear reactors.

I found it amusing when I was watching coverage the other day, and the Western-based reporters were amazed that the Japanese had not resorted to looting and rioting. Even after the Japanese-based reporter explained that it wasn't in their culture to commit such disturbances, the Western-based reporters were still like :shok:

Personally, having an East Asian background, I don't find it amazing by any means (and agree with the Japanese-based reporter that I'd be amazed if the Japanese DID start getting rowdy). I obviously can't speak for the other Asian groups, but its essentially coded in the referred cultures that they would not resort to madness of sorts (and if they did, it would show how bad things really were); with the Japanese "patience" being legendary.

I would say there is something to learn from this response thus far-- but I don't know if its quite applicable. The way the East sees the world and approaches it obviously differs from the West; and to say that one culture could come to understand the essential "why" and "how" one culture reacts and apply it is not really too feasible, IMO. This could be a good and bad thing of course (the way the world is seen), and, seemingly, every response to tragedies is unique.

I find it disturbing that even with the Bank of Japan injecting trillions, the Yen carry trade was slaughtered as the Yen appreciated against the dollar by unprecedented levels in short periods of time while the Nikkei continues to plummet downward. We're in bizzaro land.

If the BOJ starts selling treasuries and yields rise, the US government is in trouble and even though the Fed has welded the printing presses in the on position, it could lead to some real disturbances in the short term or spiral out of control into an economic melt down.

If nothing else, all the margin calls for the carry traders are going to cause a big sell off tomorrow in equities to cover those margins. It's going to be yet one more bloodletting tomorrow.

This was part of an E-mail from a retired USMC friend of mine that works over there working for as a ESO for the base.

We're fine here, but busy providing what relief support the U.S. can provide and that is a lot. The base is really ramped up to do what we are directed to do by U.S Forces Japan. One great thing about the military (which includes us civilian employees both U.S. and Japanese) we can shift gears in an instant and take on another mission without half-stepping; unlike most other government entities that have meetings and procrastinate, the military just get their orders and get it done. Whatever news you watch (unless it is a Japanese news channel) you're not getting the full impact of what is happening, I guarantee. Combine hurricanes Hugo, Andrew, and Katrina, then add 2 or 3 major SoCal earthquakes, multiply times 10 and you get a good idea. Then for the heck of it, throw in a major nuclear emergency just to keep things interesting! In many cases the towns and villages infrastructure (key personnel (government, emergency personnel), equipment, facilities) are just gone; so who knows the number to call for help or how to tell the federal government where the survivors are at? Hey, the mayor does that (dead), the fire chief does that (also dead), city council (missing), no phone lines, cell towers down or no power,...and the list goes on. So initially it was, and to some extent continues to be, very confusing. Plus the weather in the devastation zone is really bad (we're doing record cold weather as far south as we are, Spring has not sprung!).

Paints a slightly different picture from what our media has been reporting.

My best to all over there.

Harry

W7VOA on twitter is on the ground in Japan and he's been giving a first hand take on the whole thing.

The Nuclear news has been crowding out the massive humanitarian tragedy that's been unfolding.

I truly believe that any non native that's not helping over there should simply leave. Not because of radiation although that is a concern, mostly because they're using resources that may be better utilized for people that need it. All non essential business people, teachers, tourists, whatever, just get out. There will be a time to rebuild and everyone will be needed but until then focus on resolving the immediate humanitarian crisis and if you're not helping, you're in the way.