Maksim

Did my good deed for the day.

Got in the office early, notice a car parked in front of my door with a flat tire. No one around. Go out to grab dunkin, come back and see an elderly (mid 70's?) man struggling, then just taking a breather. Figured someone was helping him. Come closer, see he has the wrench in his hand helpless. Asked him if he needs help. Told me he tried getting the car up, but then it started rocking back. Figured quickly it was a bad jack mount point. Brought it down, raised it up, got it changed within a few mins. Turns out his wife went over a pothole, and ended up driving on the flat.

Felt good to help someone who obviously needed it. Was a nice day to change a tire, and do something while my Latte cooled down a bit.

In BMW's defense, I now know why they include run flat tires.

Good deed done.

• Like 2

Good job, I always try and help out, just never works out to be the kind in a short skirt. oh well.

I believe these type of things come back to you.

I do the same think with bikes being as I am a rider, I 99.9% of the time will not pass up a bike on the side of the road no matter what make, just wish all people in cars and bikes did the same.

Harry

I hate runflats. I know how to change a tire :p

It is one thing to change a tire when it is 70 and sunny.... what about 32, freezing rain, and it is dark. Worse off, you jack the car up, get the lugnuts off, and the alloy wheel freezes to the hub. You dont have a rubber mallet to punch it off.

BTW, this is why I carry a full toolbox, a big lug nut wrench, and sometimes a regular sized jack, and an air compressor. (and a box of latex gloves... my soft hands.) =P :icon_mrgreen:

Nice going Maksim! Reminds me of a time a couple of years ago when I was out for a run on a beautiful spring afternoon. I encountered a couple of ladies with their car jacked up, wrestling with the lug nuts. Normally, I wouldn't stop in the middle of a run, but being that they clearly needed help (and of course the fact that it was a couple of ladies influenced my decision), I stopped to help them. They thanked me profusely, but I suggested they save their appreciation until after I had successfully changed the tire.

As I recall, they had a crappy wrench, and sure enough, after wrestling with the first four lug nuts to remove them, I couldn't budge the fifth one. (Even though I'm mostly muscle, there's only so much power one can pack into 145 pounds. :icon_e_confused: ) I told them I was sorry, and suggested they call AAA. When I passed the spot on my way back, they were gone. So I guess it all worked out OK, no thanks to me!

It is one thing to change a tire when it is 70 and sunny.... what about 32, freezing rain, and it is dark. Worse off, you jack the car up, get the lugnuts off, and the alloy wheel freezes to the hub. You dont have a rubber mallet to punch it off.

BTW, this is why I carry a full toolbox, a big lug nut wrench, and sometimes a regular sized jack, and an air compressor. (and a box of latex gloves... my soft hands.) =P :icon_mrgreen:

Believe me - I've done it in the dead of winter before in 10 degree weather. Not fun. I do have the proper tools though. They're in my car all the time in my toolbox. I've NEVER had a wheel freeze to the hub.

One thing to do with wheels that have dissimilar metals that I do is put a little anti-seize on them, makes them come off with no effort at all.

Harry

Believe me - I've done it in the dead of winter before in 10 degree weather. Not fun. I do have the proper tools though. They're in my car all the time in my toolbox. I've NEVER had a wheel freeze to the hub.

also, at 3am, with a wind chill well below zero. Never changed a tire faster in my life.

also, at 3am, with a wind chill well below zero. Never changed a tire faster in my life.

Yeah - there was a lot of cursing. This was at like 6PM.... I had to rotate the rear tire forward too at the same time. I was NOT going to drive in snow/ice with a donut on the front on a FWD car.

man you guys are silly crazy.

I just call that number on the back of my card and be like yo biotch, come change my tire I don't wanna mess up the clothes

-1 Man card.

Minus my man card all you want, I'll stay in my car where it's warm and not get my clothes dirty. I've done my fair share of changing tires, getting a car stuck in 4th gear back over the tappan zee bridge from yankee stadium etc. Now I'm older and wiser and just call the tow truck, theres no need to risk getting hit by a car on a highway no thanks

Minus my man card all you want, I'll stay in my car where it's warm and not get my clothes dirty. I've done my fair share of changing tires, getting a car stuck in 4th gear back over the tappan zee bridge from yankee stadium etc. Now I'm older and wiser and just call the tow truck, theres no need to risk getting hit by a car on a highway no thanks

I got from the entrance ramp to 295 at Rte 38 all the way to Rte 9 and Aldrich Rd (south of 195) with ONE gear left (tranny blew up). Who needs a tow truck?

Matt's soft hands...

BMW started using run flats because they needed them for cars that don't have spare tires. Then they realized how much money they could make off them since they cost 1/2 more then a regular tire, and of course add in the luxury of never having to change a flat tire again.

Yeah - there was a lot of cursing. This was at like 6PM.... I had to rotate the rear tire forward too at the same time. I was NOT going to drive in snow/ice with a donut on the front on a FWD car.

That may have been a good thing also, not all but there are some cars who's spare is smaller than the regular tire, I'm not talking width, I mean diameter. This would give you 2 opposing tires rotating at different rates, on a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive you don't want this miss-match on the drive wheels, you want it on the dragging wheels.

Some will say it's OK for a short distance, but when given the option to do it right or just get by I'd rather do it right.

Harry