NJdiverTony

Employer info on pistol permits???

Hey all, just got my pistol permits yesterday (FINALLY!!!) after a looooong 5 month wait. I was looking at the permits and was wondering why do they list your occcupation, employer name/company name and work address on the permits??? I have absolutely no idea why that information is even relevant when buying a handgun (it isn't relevant at all!)... so why do they list it on the permit? Anybody know?

Mine never got contacted either. 5 months is a killer man. My PD use to be a week for just pistol permits. I dropped off a App yesterday he said its 2-4 now. Still good timing compared to most of NJ.

My employer wasn't contacted either... and since I work for a huge corporation, they probably wouldn't even know who to call anyway. I just found it odd that they list your employment information on your pistol purchase permit. That information has no relevance when purchasing a handgun. I just find it kind of stupid. I mean they even list my occupation/job title on the permit... It's really not a big deal I guess... but I just don't see how that information is relevant at all on a purchase permit.

There are quite a few Depts that do contact your employer. Howell is one of them. They never use to but the lady that did them for years retired and the new lady does. I think it comes fron the training class they attend from the NJSP. From what I have heard, the NJSP tells them what the law requires and what THEY would also like to see happen in addition to the law. It is total bullshit. At one class the NJSP said the depts should assign detectives to verify the references with a visit to their house. So I have been told.

Congrats, Tony. I was up at Jim Flynn's today to fondle one of my two Dan Wesson's in his safe. I hate to hear that five month comment. That woul mean I have until May to get mine!

Congrats, Tony. I was up at Jim Flynn's today to fondle one of my two Dan Wesson's in his safe. I hate to hear that five month comment. That woul mean I have until May to get mine!

Thanks! I was there just a couple of hours ago to pick up my Beretta 92A1... I'll post some pics in a new post and in the appropriate forum.

Just got this from the NJSP last week, read the "Employer" part:

NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE FIREARMS INVESTIGATION UNIT

10 MARCH 2011

FIREARMS PROCEDURAL UPDATE

3. DEALERS ARE TO ENSURE THAT THE PURCHASER’S OCCUPATION AND EMPLOYER IS LISTED ACCURATELY AND CLEARLY IN THE

APPROPRIATE BLOCK ON THE PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN AND FORM OF REGISTER. IF THE ISSUING AUTHORITY FAILED TO

LIST SAME, HAVE THE PURCHASER COMPLETE IN YOUR PRESENCE.

I'd imagine it's there for people who are applying for weapons or cards that are job related.

If you work for Wackenhut or Pinkerton or Brinks and you need to get an FID card because you are going to work for them as an armorer, or a guard, it negates the need for a separate form.

I don't think my employer has ever been contacted. It may just be a box that is left over from the time when armed night watchmen / security was more common.

Just got this from the NJSP last week, read the "Employer" part:

NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE FIREARMS INVESTIGATION UNIT

10 MARCH 2011

FIREARMS PROCEDURAL UPDATE

3. DEALERS ARE TO ENSURE THAT THE PURCHASER’S OCCUPATION AND EMPLOYER IS LISTED ACCURATELY AND CLEARLY IN THE

APPROPRIATE BLOCK ON THE PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN AND FORM OF REGISTER. IF THE ISSUING AUTHORITY FAILED TO

LIST SAME, HAVE THE PURCHASER COMPLETE IN YOUR PRESENCE.

Sounds like a job for "Operation Ensure COmpliance" to me..... Bob?

G

ps - I just remembered that East Brunswick also asks for employer details

Sayreville never did it before and the person who is handling this for the PD is the same person, but they just did call my employer. My work phone contact is my phone that is shared by 5 of us managers so the PD called one of my co-workers.

If they call my wifes work, I hope she give herself a good recommendation being she owns her own travel agency. :)

Harry

Howell PD contacted my employer. I am not in a gun related occupation.

Going deeper into this; I didn't give a person's name only the business name as employer. This means whoever opens the company mail read the contents and then forwarded it to the boss. It may not be a private matter at everyone's company depending on who opens the mail. It was OK at mine. Big boss mentioned it to my boss who already knew about it.