DblEGT

Leaning towards a Beretta 92FS

Hi All -

Just joined NJGF, and I have to tell you that this is a wonderful resource with some VERY knowledgable forum members. So, let me begin with a thank you for all the sharing going on here !

I'm currently waiting for my FID and handgun purchase permit to be approved, now just over 1 month. Hopefully, it comes soon.

In the meantime, I've had the opportunity to look for the gun that'll fit my needs. I will be using my new handgun for the sole purpose of Range shooting. No interest for home defense, but who knows maybe one day I'll be happy I have it. :-)

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards purchasing a Beretta 92FS, which to me, is absolutely stunningly beautiful, full-framed (for my larger hands), has a 5 inch barrel (for accuracy at the range), plus of course the military heritage and reliability.

I would LOVE to hear everybody's opinion and thoughts, and also welcome opinions on other makes/models which you feel will give the Beretta a run for its money and/or exceed it?

Let me hear YOU !!

thanks,

DblEGT

Have you shot it?

No, I have not shot it yet. My thoughts are with all the positive comments, how wrong can I go, even at all?

I did go to a few stores already to handle, and it felt REAL nice in my hand.

Not a bad gun for just putting holes in paper at all. 9mm is not to pricey, so you can shoot a bunch and not hurt the wallet to much. Just curious have you considered any .22 pistols like the Browning Buckmark? Shooting .22 is a ton of fun and a great way to learn the fundamentals of shooting before moving to a larger caliber. In the end it is a personal decision, so what ever fits your personal wants. I would suggest whatever route you decide to go that you should pick up one of each for range shooting a .22 and a 9mm.

I love the 92 design, but a different maker. Imho Taurus makes the superior 92 design. They are made on beretta machinery left in brazil in the 70s and are 98% the same except dor the improved location and function of the safety on the frame.. Not only is the placement more reliable, faster and ergonomic it allowd for cocked and locked carry. You can use any 92 mag and accessories. They also cost about 200 less which is 1k rounds of 9mm. They may.not be as beatiful to look at but beauty is also in the function, cost saving and reliability. Dont listen to taurus haters, their 92 series guns are great.

• Like 1

After reading that you haven't shot it yet I would suggest as others have to go and shoot it. Not sure where you are in NJ by Shore Shot on Lakewood runs a deal for Forum Members on gun rentals. Also if you are set on a 9mm as your choice they have many of the more common ones on the rental rack, the nice thing is you can try all the the 9mm on the rack for the same price. This will really allow you to know what you like, while it may feel good holding it, you might not like how it feel when you shoot it and you might find another you like better before you put to coin in their pocket.

Harry

Not a bad gun for just putting holes in paper at all. 9mm is not to pricey, so you can shoot a bunch and not hurt the wallet to much. Just curious have you considered any .22 pistols like the Browning Buckmark? Shooting .22 is a ton of fun and a great way to learn the fundamentals of shooting before moving to a larger caliber. In the end it is a personal decision, so what ever fits your personal wants. I would suggest whatever route you decide to go that you should pick up one of each for range shooting a .22 and a 9mm.

I have considered a .22 cal, and even love the Browning Buckmark. I kind of feel that I'll regret getting "only" a .22, and therefore am moving it up right away to the relatively inexpensive (ammo) 9 mm. I agree, a .22 cal is great for the range, but for the more "fun" factor, I decided on getting a 9 mm. A Buckmark or Ruger Mk III will probably be my second range shooter, and something I can more economically run a few more rounds thru.

After reading that you haven't shot it yet I would suggest as others have to go and shoot it. Not sure where you are in NJ by Shore Shot on Lakewood runs a deal for Forum Members on gun rentals. Also if you are set on a 9mm as your choice they have many of the more common ones on the rental rack, the nice thing is you can try all the the 9mm on the rack for the same price. This will really allow you to know what you like, while it may feel good holding it, you might not like how it feel when you shoot it and you might find another you like better before you put to coin in their pocket.

Harry

Great point, thanks for the suggestion ...I'll do that !

I have considered a .22 cal, and even love the Browning Buckmark. I kind of feel that I'll regret getting "only" a .22, and therefore am moving it up right away to the relatively inexpensive (ammo) 9 mm. I agree, a .22 cal is great for the range, but for the more "fun" factor, I decided on getting a 9 mm. A Buckmark or Ruger Mk III will probably be my second range shooter, and something I can more economically run a few more rounds thru.

My old army buddies and I have a rule that we only use the phrase "It's only a..." if it is something we are willing to point at our own foot and pull the trigger. So far only my paintball gun and a bb gun have meet that standard :icon_mrgreen:

Take the advice of the others saying to go shoot the 92FS and try shooting a .22 as well. It is not "only a .22" it is a gun that fires bullets that can kill. If you are thinking about getting both, get the .22 first it is more likely you will become a much stronger shooter learning fundamentals on a .22

My old army buddies and I have a rule that we only use the phrase "It's only a..." if it is something we are willing to point at our own foot and pull the trigger. So far only my paintball gun and a bb gun have meet that standard :icon_mrgreen:

Take the advice of the others saying to go shoot the 92FS and try shooting a .22 as well. It is not "only a .22" it is a gun that fires bullets that can kill. If you are thinking about getting both, get the .22 first it is more likely you will become a much stronger shooter learning fundamentals on a .22

I've shot at ranges several times and am not new to handguns. I agree there are alot of pluses to shooting a .22 cal, but with all that said, I still want a Beretta 92FS because its alot "badder" and not such a little gun. Again, a .22 cal would be next in the chamber, of course after the Beretta !

I'm in the Summit, NJ area. Any recommendations to where I can buy the cheapest? I've already been to Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey and Paramus, and I've also been to Effingers in Bound Brook. Both good stores, but their prices seem alittle high to me.

Tryed the internet quote thing on NJGF, and some came back a bit cheaper.

Overall, any recommendations?

I'm in the Summit, NJ area. Any recommendations to where I can buy the cheapest? I've already been to Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey and Paramus, and I've also been to Effingers in Bound Brook. Both good stores, but their prices seem alittle high to me.

Tryed the internet quote thing on NJGF, and some came back a bit cheaper.

Overall, any recommendations?

The places you went have a rep for being a little expensive.

Go to

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forum/92-firearm-price-request/

Fill in the blanks and you'll get a couple of offers.

Got a Inox 92FS for ~$40 lower than any other place I found, that way.

The places you went have a rep for being a little expensive.

Go to

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forum/92-firearm-price-request/

Fill in the blanks and you'll get a couple of offers.

Got a Inox 92FS for ~$40 lower than any other place I found, that way.

How much extra is the stainless Inox version? Also, if you don't mind, can you let me know where you got your Inox 92FS from?

thanks for your input !

I love the 92. It's on my short list of guns that I still want, but when I was shopping for an all metal 9mm, I found that the CZ75 felt and shot better for me. Of course, your experience will be different, but if you're still open to look at options, you should check it out.

Otherwise, the Beretta is a great handgun, classical lines, history and built lake a tank. You won't be sorry.

I just got in from shooting and I put another 150 rounds downrange today. That's about 1700 rounds since August of last year. NOT ONE FAILURE YET.

Shoots great, build solid, stainless it quite a looker. You can not go wrong with this gun. Any questions send me a PM

I love the 92. It's on my short list of guns that I still want, but when I was shopping for an all metal 9mm, I found that the CZ75 felt and shot better for me. Of course, your experience will be different, but if you're still open to look at options, you should check it out.

Otherwise, the Beretta is a great handgun, classical lines, history and built lake a tank. You won't be sorry.

Thanks Kenw !

How much extra is the stainless Inox version? Also, if you don't mind, can you let me know where you got your Inox 92FS from?

thanks for your input !

I got mine from Vinny at Hunting World. It's around $25-30 difference.

I just got in from shooting and I put another 150 rounds downrange today. That's about 1700 rounds since August of last year. NOT ONE FAILURE YET.

Shoots great, build solid, stainless it quite a looker. You can not go wrong with this gun. Any questions send me a PM

Sounds like ALOT of people REALLY like this gun ! My thoughts are, it MUST be good !!

I know of a few that don't like it. A friend I know had issues with one during a tactical training class. But generally most seem to love them. I hated them after trying one out at shore shot but likeci said. Don't use that as your only example

When my FID and P2P gets here (hopefully soon) I am getting a 96FS INOX. I was shooting the 90 Two last week and it was fine, but I like the .40 a bit better. My friend has a .40 Block, but both he and I loved the 90 Two our other friend brought with him. We also has the Cx4 (rifle) to shoot that day, it is a cool and relatively inexpensive rifle.

I am also looking at the Taurus P92 (9mm series). They do have a really nice-looking all metal handgun, actually, several of them. This will be a 3rd or 4th purchase (unless we use my wifes P2P to get one.)

There is another forum I am on and most seem to trash-talk the Taurus guns to no end. Shot my friends Judge with .410 shot sheel and .45 caliper and it was awesome!

I bought a 92fs from buds for $530 It was my first firearm and I bought it without shooting it.All i knew is i wanted something metal framed,da-sa, cheap to shoot and accurate. I love the 92fs it is a true tack driver and am still glad with my decision.

I bought a 92fs from buds for $530 It was my first firearm and I bought it without shooting it.All i knew is i wanted something metal framed,da-sa, cheap to shoot and accurate. I love the 92fs it is a true tack driver and am still glad with my decision.

Excellent ! Exactly my thoughts, and its great to hear someone with 92FS exoerience with such praise.

I shoot the 92FS in USPSA and one in IDPA. I remember about four or five years ago I had a failure to feed. Not bad for thousands of rounds shot. You will not go wrong with it. About the only downside is the front sight is not removal. Other models have a removal front sight which is good if you want a fiber optic.

On to the fun factor. You don't know fun until you shoot competition. Go over to the Competition Forum and ask the guys that just shot their first match how much fun it was. Hell, ask Maks - he's totally hooked. Come to the next match at Shongum and watch. Plus you can handle a bunch of guns.