XDJohnTact

XDJohnTact's build

I could not pass up buying a couple of those stripped Spikes Lowers either.(almost) finished my build over the weekend, nothing fancy, planning on using this one mostly at Range 14 anyway.

Spikes Lower

Spikes Lower Parts Kit

Spikes Buffer Tube & Buffer

Magpul Dark Earth Trigger Guard

Magpul MOE Dark Earth Stock, pinned

Magpul MOE Dark Earth Handguard (on order)

also plan on switching out the black grip for a Magpul or Hougue Dark Earth

16" Lo-Pro Barrel Assembly (Post Ban)

16" Target Crowned Bull Barrel

4140 Chrome-Moly Steel

1-9 Twist

Manganese Phosphated

GlacierGuards™ Handguards

Lo-Pro Upper Receiver

Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly

Single Rail Gas Block

Still have to get sights and optics but will use the NCStar off my 15-22 for now.

spikes1.jpg

spikes2.jpg

spikes3.jpg

spikes4.jpg

spikes5.jpg

spikes6.jpg

spikes7.jpg

No dust cuver or forward assist huh? Didn't want it?

Looks good to me. I would say you might as well go with the Magpul grip in FDE. Mine's in black (wanted all black everything) and it feels great.

If you find a good deal on a Gas Block rail front sight, let me know - I'm in the market for one too :)

that pmag pinned shut?

Yes, I got it from Ty at MidwestPX. It is pinned at 15 rounds. It has the one pin that shows in the picture that make it permantly closed and another in the bottom at the black button and I am not sure what that pin is for.

No dust cuver or forward assist huh? Didn't want it?

Looks good to me. I would say you might as well go with the Magpul grip in FDE. Mine's in black (wanted all black everything) and it feels great.

If you find a good deal on a Gas Block rail front sight, let me know - I'm in the market for one too :)

Yes, this is a range gun so we don't need a dust cover or assist handle. I am pretty sure I will be feeding it clean rounds. I consulted with Tim and told him what I was planning on using this one for and he helped me select components. The second one is sure to be more high tech. Got to thank Tim for his patience and help....the pie was good too!

I love slick-side uppers. If you can find a non-scalloped carrier to go with it, you'd have a rare build indeed. Honestly, the forward assist is useless IMO. If you have a failure to go into battery, it's better to just rack the charging handle a second time rather than push the FA, look to see if it's gone into battery, if not, push the FA again, etc. If you need a forward assist, use the one Stoner designed into the carrier and move the carrier with your thumb.

Magpul MOE Foregrip came in yesterday. i also threw on the sights from my M&P 15-22 but I doubt there will be enough adjustment to make up for the difference in rail heights? Ammo shipped yesterday, should be here tomorrow.

spikes10.jpg

spikes11.jpg

spikes12.jpg

Short Range Report: Took the AR to Range 14 last Sunday and it ran flawlessly! I could not believe how sweet a set up this seems to be, nice trigger, low recoil and feels good. Shot abut 100 rounds with no problems. Of course, the iron sights are not usable due to the low profile front gas block so until I find an affordable solution, I mounted the NC Star off my 15-22 and replaced it with an old red dot for now.

ar-family.jpg

ar-scope.jpg