echoreply

Saiga-M Series 7.62x39 Hunting Rifle

Hello Everyone

I was interested in getting the Saiga-M Series 7.62x39 Hunting Rifle. Base on everything that I read it looks like it should be legal here in NJ. I am correct or am I wrong?

It does not have a flash suppressor and only 10 round mag. I was pretty sure that the Zastava Pap was legal but two stores have told me otherwise. One of them said they use to carry it and ATF came in and told them they can't. So now they don't even sell anything remotely looks and a Saiga or anything like that.

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I was interested in getting the Saiga-M Series 7.62x39 Hunting Rifle. Base on everything that I read it looks like it should be legal here in NJ. I am correct or am I wrong?

It does not have a flash suppressor and only 10 round mag. I was pretty sure that the Zastava Pap was legal but two stores have told me otherwise. One of them said they use to carry it and ATF came in and told them they can't. So now they don't even sell anything remotely looks and a Saiga or anything like that.

Thanks

Shore Shot had one on their wl for sale last week. Give them a call.

By the way, that store was bullshitting you about the ATF. There are no Federal laws against the PAP, only stupid Jersey laws.

What is it you're looking to do slowpokie? If your local gunshop doesn't carry the rifle, and believes it to be illegal... then why push the issue?

The reason that I wanted to know because I am getting mixed information. Both Brick and Shoreshot said that they are legal to have. So I am a bit confuse.

Shore Shot had one on their wl for sale last week. Give them a call.

By the way, that store was bullshitting you about the ATF. There are no Federal laws against the PAP, only stupid Jersey laws.

I was at ShoreShot over the weekend and they did have two of them on the wall. It was the converted and the standard. But the one that I was looking for is the M series.

I really hate this State more and more.

1) Is Saiga M series hunting rifle banned by name?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have..

no - proceed to question 2

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk;

2) Is the gun substantially identical as defined by law?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have

no - gun is legal and you may have..

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the

firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means

pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means

exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all

material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless

it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.

The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the

firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make

the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a

pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be

"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it

meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

gun may not have magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds...

This was at Cheyene Mountain Outfitters.

I don't want to put words in their mouths., but...

I suspect this is about the problem from a year or so ago. There is a company called IO that was making a gun called the AK. This evidently was too close to the statute banning Avtomat Kalishnikov type rifles. All Gun Dealers in the state received a letter stating that this gun was illegal and that they needed to be recalled. Cheyenne Mountain has become "gun shy". Since then, I believe the gun has been renamed so as not to run afoul of stupid laws like ours. Both Brck Armory and Shore Shot carry AK style rifles. I prefer to deal with the folks at Shore Shot, but yuo could give them both a call and talk to them about this.

I got the same crappy story from Cheyenne months ago. They had that problem and now just don't want to be bothered. That's their loss of sales $$$$$$$$$.

Shore Shot got my bucks.

Vlad, you are to be commended. You are THE MAN, THE PROFESSOR. This question comes up like waves on the ocean and you calmly give a quality answer every time. Thanks.

I thoroughly dislike Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters! I bought a bunch of pistols there because their selection is pretty good. BUT some of the people working there are Rude, know-it-all, tards. Especially that dude Rodney with the hearing aid! I hate that guy. What a F^*K Face! I can give you a number of stories where I was misinformed, screwed over and had arguments with people there. They think they are God’s gift to the NJ gun purchaser. They Su^k. Good selection but… Su^K. I don't buy from them anymore. If you are looking for good customer service and valid information to some of your NJ firearm questions… steer clear from Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters on Rt. 130 in Robbinsville! The pits… straight up!

CMO is actually the MAIN gun store I go to. I deal with Omar all the time, he's a great guy. I also haven't ever had any problems with the rest of the staff, except that freckled guy with the dark red hair can be a little....impersonal sometimes.

Kalsnikov and vjf915,

Sorry about your experience with Rodney. I know him personally and have the opposite opinion of him. Perhaps you caught him on a bad day or you were having a bad day. He is the more knowledgeable of NJ gun laws than most. Don't give up on him.

I actually got a Saiga 7.62X39 a while back for a friend who was going to get his NJ purchase card but does not look like he is going to get the card. So I have a brand new Saiga with three magazines (10 round), a carrying case, 1000 rounds of ammo and eyes and ears, everything brand new still in the original packaging. Might have to sell it all now, anyone out there interested? Will have to calculate the total cost but should be around $800

Kalsnikov and vjf915,

Sorry about your experience with Rodney. I know him personally and have the opposite opinion of him. Perhaps you caught him on a bad day or you were having a bad day. He is the more knowledgeable of NJ gun laws than most. Don't give up on him.

If Rodney is the man who I think he is, around 60ish, retired cop, has a gut, and wears suspenders, pretty sure he carries a Glock....that's not who I am referring to. If that's Rodney, then he is also very helpful and nice. I have just dealt with Omar more often, and tend to like him more. The guy I am referring to is one of their younger guys, probably in his late 20's, maybe early 30's. He just always seems to hate helping.....even talking to people.