Hoya

Rem 700 question

I am looking into getting into some long range shooting and purchasing a rifle to do so. I have really enjoyed firing Remington 700's the few times I have but don't know much about all the different versions of it.

For my purposes I'd primarily just be taking it to the range, and maybe hunting a little bit as well.

Could anyone with some knowledge of the differences in rifle versions shoot some recommendations my way?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

If you are going to be hunting with it, I would avoid the heavy barreled, precision Remingtons like the 700P. Even the carbine length 700LTR is heavy. You may want a carbine length rifle with a medium contour barrel. I have a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine that I enjoy shooting (and is what you describe), but I don't know the Remington equivalent. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Hm, if only someone didn't have a great Rem 700 in 223 with a nice Nikon Buckmaster scope for sale in the marketplace...

That is a great deal... however the OP won't get much use out of it for any sort of big game. OP - if you don't have any desire to hunt deer, .223 would be a great remmy 700.

That is a great deal... however the OP won't get much use out of it for any sort of big game. OP - if you don't have any desire to hunt deer, .223 would be a great remmy 700.

Hunting wise I'd be going out primarily for deer. I'm thinking something more like .243 or .270, does that sound about right? Again, I'm just jumping into all of this

Lunker, its all relative :) The LTR I owned was the very last sub 10 lb bolt gun I have owned. Since then my bolt guns have hovered in the 16lb and up range.

Ack. I guess you carry that from one bench rest to the next. I bet they're nice to shoot prone on a bipod.

HA! None are BR guns! All are precision tactical rifles. I dont know what BR guns weigh but if I had to guess, they are +20 lbs. My 308 inbound with glass I think is going to be right at 17lbs. My DTA was 16lbs but the scope weighed less. I pretty much only shoot them prone from the bipod :D

Hunting wise I'd be going out primarily for deer. I'm thinking something more like .243 or .270, does that sound about right? Again, I'm just jumping into all of this

Both are excellent "dual purpose" cartridges up to whitetail deer-size game, with the nod going to the .270 as the better "all-around" cartridge for most all game in North America and both can be very accurate in the Rem. 700 platform. Both cartridges offer good over-the-counter factory rounds if you are not partial to reloading. A standard barrel configuration 700 is perfect to hunt with and will perform more than adequately at the target range if you tailor your loads.

Other good standard cartridges used "primarily for deer" that fall into this category without getting into the short-magnums are the 6mm Rem., .257 Roberts, .260 Rem., 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 7x57, .280, .308, .30-06. The more popular cartridges are still chambered in the 700 platform, those that aren't can be found on the used market.

.270 is one of the most versatile calibers out there for hunting, however I would step it up if you ever have the desire to pursue moose, elk, or bear. .308, .30-06, or 7mm mag would be my choice. The downside to these larger calibers is they will be too much for any sort of medium/small game(coyote, fox, etc).