chris327

hipoint 4095 or 4595 carbine

anyone have any experience with the highpoint .40sw or 45acp carbine. i know the cx4 storm is the best carbine around but the price range is a little high. I know a few guys have the 995 and like it but anyone have the 4095 or 4595? also anyone know a price range for these or who might have them?

One additional option for you may be the Kel Tek Sub 2000, which will accept Glock magazines. Since you already own a Glock in 40 cal, this could work out well for you. You should be able to find them for about $300-$350 or so.

I own a CX4 Storm in 9mm. You simply can't purchase a better 9mm carbine. I plan to shoot at Ft. Dix this weekend (or if it is raining at an indoor range in Philadelphia). PM me if you want to meet up and give the Storm a try.

I bought one during the winter and have only had it out to the range once. Here's what I found with mine.

The bad:

The compensator got crushed by tightening the screws used to hold it in place. I mean it folded like it was made out of playdough. It did not come installed when I bought the gun.

The front sight post is canted. I had to use up all my left adjustment to hit point of aim at 15 yards.

The good:

It's a .45 carbine. With a limited number of rounds, bigger holes are preferred.

Decent ergonomics. The stock looks funky but that cheek swell does a good job of getting a good sight picture quickly.

Pretty good trigger. Not too much creep and breaks cleanly.

Accuracy at 15 yds is good. I only had Wolf ammo to test but even with steel cased ammo it would leave a ragged hole with a mag.

Shot 200 rounds using 4 different mags and not one single stoppage. Not bad. Steel cased Wolf 230 grain fmj.

Price was $400 out the door. A little pricey compared to the 9mm carbine but still significantly less than a Beretta in a .45.

Caveat: At 50 yds, this carbine has a significant drop in point of impact. I'm talking something like 4 to 6 inches low. I know the .45 isn't a fast mover but I wasn't expecting that kind of difference. Next time out I will use brass cased ammo and see if I get the same results. I might bench it too to get a better idea of what's going on. Accuracy at that range was good enough for center of mass hits shooting off hand unsupported. This is my first .45 carbine so I don't know if that's normal for the round at that range.

gunnyr where did you purchase it? i was thinking 350 or less out the door. i thought about the keltec too but only thing is can you even mount a cheap redot, there is no rail and it folds. thanks for the offer to to shoot the cx4 but ive shot it and liked it but cant see spending that much. And shooting it will probably convince me to save up a little more for it.

I got it at Butch's in Vineland. Yeah it was 3-something for gun plus NICS plus transfer fees came out to just shy of $400.

The ONLY thing the 4595 has over the Beretta is the round capacity for .45. The Beretta is 8+1 while the 4595 is 9+1.

At the time it made sense to pay less for something that holds 1 more .45 round. Again, I wanted the caliber, not so much the weapon. For a 9mm I would definitely have gone with the Storm as I have a buttload of 92 mags and the higher price tag is worth the extra mag capacity.

I own a Cx4 9mm (Px4 mag version) and a Kel-Tec Sub2000 (G19 version)

Either will be my choice over a Hi-Point. You already have a Glock in 40 S&W then the Kel-Tec would be a smart choice.

... Caveat: At 50 yds, this carbine has a significant drop in point of impact. I'm talking something like 4 to 6 inches low. I know the .45 isn't a fast mover but I wasn't expecting that kind of difference. Next time out I will use brass cased ammo and see if I get the same results. I might bench it too to get a better idea of what's going on. Accuracy at that range was good enough for center of mass hits shooting off hand unsupported. This is my first .45 carbine so I don't know if that's normal for the round at that range.

I have a CX-4 Storm in .45acp

With a 50yd zero, my hits at 100yd are a full 12" low.

Welcome to the world of slow-moving low pressure BIG bullets!

(I'd like to take mine out on a pig hunt loaded with 185gr JHP and see what it can do!)

Ray my only thing against the sub 2000 its how hard is out to mount a red dot or a grip. I assume a grip not bad but a red dot I dont know. Otherwise I would go keltec since the mags are easy to find cheaper and 15 rds. Any info on the mounting?

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/sub-2000-aluminum-forend-w-picatinny-rail/

Ray, thanks, that is a deffinate game changer. now the next problem is finding one that accepts glk 23 mags. as most i found are for the g22 and according to keltec they will not accept g23 mags. i guess since they are shorter they dont make it in all the way.

Ray, thanks, that is a deffinate game changer. now the next problem is finding one that accepts glk 23 mags. as most i found are for the g22 and according to keltec they will not accept g23 mags. i guess since they are shorter they dont make it in all the way.

You are correct, 23 mags are too short HOWEVER you CAN use 22 mags in the 23 (they will stick out a little)

I have a CX-4 Storm in .45acp

With a 50yd zero, my hits at 100yd are a full 12" low.

Welcome to the world of slow-moving low pressure BIG bullets!

Holy hell!!

Good thing I'm familiar with artillery and call for fire procedures...

Seriously thanks for the heads up. I'll zero at 50 and remember to aim at the head for 100 yard shots.