Luke_WO

Additional paperwork/permits after shotgun purchase?

Hi, I am currently awaiting my FID application to go through. Yes, I know this could potentially take forever. It's been about 35 days since I've been fingerprinted already, but I'm hoping I'll get lucky and it will be ready for pickup soon. (West Orange PD, for what it's worth)

My question is... once I get the FID and go buy a gun (I'm interested in shotguns, not handguns, if this is relevant)... is there anything else I need to do in order to use the gun, i.e. take it to a shooting range or a sporting clays course? If not, then it seems to me that as long as I have the FID card, I can (in theory) buy anyone a shotgun as a gift and then they're free to use it as they please. Is this true? Just some clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Once you get your FID, you can buy as many rifles and shotguns (long guns) as you want. No 1 a month, or this or that stuff. I am not sure what you are talking about, in regards to the use of the gun for clays or range....after you buy the shotgun, you can do whatever you want with it. If you were talking about passing some test at the range or something? No. That's only if you want to get your Hunters License.

In reference to the shotgun as a gift, or any gun for that matter, I am not exactly sure about and I hope someone chimes in here. I am going to guess, as long as that person has a valid FID then there should be no problem.

Regarding the shooting range and clay course, you answered my question. Thanks. As soon as I have the gun in my possession, I am able to bring it to the range or the course and do as I please there without having to show any sort of paperwork once I am there. That is my interpretation of your answer.

As far as the gift, this is only hypothetical. I don't plan on buying anyone any guns, but I was just curious... to try and clarify what I was saying, consider this hypothetical situation:

I buy my father a shotgun for his birthday. He uses that shotgun for years, takes it to the range, shoots trap, shoots skeet, etc. So in reality, he doesn't even have a FID card, but because I used mine to buy it for him, he was able to enjoy the benefits of having a shotgun even though he didn't have to apply for a FID and buy it himself. This just seems kind of weird. So hypothetically, could I just try to get one of my friends who already has a FID to buy me a gun, and then do as I please with it? Seems like a way of beating the system..?

what your asking is illegal as far as my understanding of the law..whether you buy your dad one or you get a friend to buy you one..

you would be willfully violating the law...the only legal gift would be to your child under 18 and even then you have to be with the child when its used...

I buy my father a shotgun for his birthday. He uses that shotgun for years, takes it to the range, shoots trap, shoots skeet, etc. So in reality, he doesn't even have a FID card, but because I used mine to buy it for him, he was able to enjoy the benefits of having a shotgun even though he didn't have to apply for a FID and buy it himself. This just seems kind of weird. So hypothetically, could I just try to get one of my friends who already has a FID to buy me a gun, and then do as I please with it? Seems like a way of beating the system..?

In short. No. Doing any of the above is a felony.

You may lend a friend a gun AT A RANGE as long as you are present. You may NOT lend a gun to someone at their house and they run off to the range.

You may buy a gift gun for someone, but to receive it, they must have a firearms purchaser ID.

Ok, that makes sense. Do people ever try to sidestep the law by "giving" guns that they own to other people so they don't have to deal with the legal hassle/paperwork? What does it matter whose name the gun is under if someone else can still "borrow" it for the day and go shooting with it as often as they'd like?

Again, I don't want anyone to think that I plan on doing this. I'm waiting for my FID like everyone else. Haha.

• Like 1

Ok, that makes sense. Do people ever try to sidestep the law by "giving" guns that they own to other people so they don't have to deal with the legal hassle/paperwork? What does it matter whose name the gun is under if someone else can still "borrow" it for the day and go shooting with it as often as they'd like?

Again, I don't want anyone to think that I plan on doing this. I'm waiting for my FID like everyone else. Haha.

it does happen but those guys are likely doing 7yrs in state prison when caught

You may gift a firearm to someone else per Federal Law. AFAIK, this is in violation of NJ Law. That being said, who hasn't given their child a BB or shotgun as a gift? :rolleyes: