GoFasters

Reputable AKM Smith in North Jersey?!?

I'll keep this one short and sweet. I have a Romanian SAR-1 and I tried to replace my FCG with a Tapco G2 and after putting it back together , I can't get the hammer to reset properly. I had to physically push it down to get the bolt back in during reassembly. I played with it for a while off and on and now I'm just kinda done. What I need to know is if anyone can reccomend a good gunsmith that can put the FCG back together and not charge me an arm and a leg. If any of you guys have done the job, pm me... I'll toss you a couple of bucks for fixing mine. Thanks in advance gents.

here are some things that could be wrong...

if the trigger is not resetting after each shot.. the hammer spring legs are likely not seated properly...

make sure the springs are all seated correctly..

I also had a Tapco G2 recently where I had to remove a little material from the trigger to get it to seat well..

on an unrelated note (because I dont think it would cause this issue) be cautious because there are some older G2s that had almost like a recall on them.. the diconector spring sat too low.. but I do not believe that is the issue here.. also they were way back in 2008.. is the gun completely back together? can you describe it in any more detail?

I had to physically push it down to get the bolt back in during reassembly.

That's actually the only way the bolt will go back in. When you take the dust cover off, then the recoil spring out, and pull the bolt back to pull it out....it sets the hammer. When cleaning the rifle you won't need to push the hammer back down because the hammer was already down from pulling the bolt out, but since you disassembled the FCG you will now need to lock the hammer back to get the bolt back in.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I have worked with the G2 kit before, and it's relatively simple. If you are in my area (Ewing) you can bring it on by and I will take a look at it for you (at no cost).

Is your hammer in backwards?

Also, before you go taking a file to your trigger group, make sure you know what the heck you're doing. That's a fun way to land yourself in prison.

IMO Arsenal, Red Star Arms and TexasAK all make a better trigger group than Crapco anyway. Try one of their products instead is my advice to you. Another $35 is far cheaper than any smith will charge you.

Also, before you go taking a file to your trigger group, make sure you know what the heck you're doing. That's a fun way to land yourself in prison.

IMO Arsenal, Red Star Arms and TexasAK all make a better trigger group than Crapco anyway. Try one of their products instead is my advice to you. Another $35 is far cheaper than any smith will charge you.

right get rid of the FCG that most people use.. buy another one and attempt to install that.. fail again since he obviously had issues the first time... and then what pay someone then? the person who posted directly above you already offered to look at it completely free.. and he LITERALLY just installed his own G2 recently.. so he probably has a pretty good idea of how it works.. and even if he can't fix it he probably knows enough about it to correctly convey to us what the issue is.. allowing us to advise and fix...

a TON (if not most) of Tapco products are pretty low quality.. but those FCGs are clean and shoot well..

please.. do not run out and buy another FCG... obviously something is wrong.. fix the problem.. enjoy a great FCG..

I'll take a look if you are in the bridgewater or plainfield area. I have installed 2 tapco G2's (one went into a SAR, also) and 1 RSA trigger group. I'de reccomend chucking away that annoying shepards crook and picking up a retaining plate for 5 bucks before we do it, though :)

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=366

It is available other places too, although this may be the cheapest their shipping is like $10. Maybe you can call them and convince them to drop it into a $0.44 envelope?

I completely missed the "North Jersey" part in the title, so Glenn will probably be closer. My offer stands if you are in the area though.

Glenn, my G2 kit came with the same kind of retaining plate you just posted, not sure what the OP's came with.

Don't take this question as an insult. I have seen more hammer problems resolved on Saiga forums by people having the hammer face the wrong way in the spring. I can't speak to your model, but I know that my trigger kit had to come with the top of the hammer profile 9i.e. partly shaved down) to make room for the bolt-hold-open (or was it the retaining plate?, I forget). Anyway, It would not have worked if I had the full sized hammer head.

Don't take this question as an insult. I have seen more hammer problems resolved on Saiga forums by people having the hammer face the wrong way in the spring. I can't speak to your model, but I know that my trigger kit had to come with the top of the hammer profile 9i.e. partly shaved down) to make room for the bolt-hold-open (or was it the retaining plate?, I forget). Anyway, It would not have worked if I had the full sized hammer head.

This. The semi-circle/rounded portion at the top of the hammer should face the back of the gun. If you are confused, post pictures of your hammer in the upright position.

You can harass me all you'd like but the reality is, if you've only ever had vanilla ice cream, of course it tastes the best to you. But who knows, try strawberry, chocolate, and rocky road sometime, and you may rethink your favorite. Your favorite may still be vanilla, who knows. That's all.

I don't like ice cream

You can harass me all you'd like but the reality is, if you've only ever had vanilla ice cream, of course it tastes the best to you. But who knows, try strawberry, chocolate, and rocky road sometime, and you may rethink your favorite. Your favorite may still be vanilla, who knows. That's all.

Yes.....but trying different kinds of ice cream don't cost $100, what you're recommending does.

Yes.....but trying different kinds of ice cream don't cost $100, what you're recommending does.

So what? My point still stands, many of the people who so vehemently stand by one FCG or another, are typically the ones who have only used a G2. People are so quick to put down triggers they have never even tried before.

$100 is a decent chunk of change but considering that isn't much more than the cost of fingerprints, or the latest and greatest tactical accessory, you really can't come on a gun board and say $100 is a lot of cash because to be honest, I'm sure we've all wasted much more than that in this hobby. Case in point, a single Ultimak lower rail costs as much as seven FCGs so....yeah...

On a somewhat related note, does anyone find the G2 trigger to be a little on the light side?

Yes. It is also incorrectly shaped compared to a standard-issue AK trigger group. The geometry on other triggers like the Arsenal, Texas AK, Red Star, etc. more closely mimics (or is identical to) the original trigger groups, minus the third hole components of course, and results in IMO a much better pull. I always found the G2 to be very light and causes unwanted bump fires on occasion, wheres the others offer a much cleaner, more well defined "snap" at the end of the pull.

Blah blah blah...

Blah blah blah...

I am not putting down any FCG that is not a G2. The point that Vlad and I are making is that the OP already has a fully functional FCG, so spending $100 on another one is completely pointless. That is in no way, shape, or form attempting to put down FCG's other than the G2, it is trying to help the OP spend his money wisely. That $100 is 500 rounds that he could use to practice with, or ~5+ mags that he can get, so why spend it on a part that he already has? My 870 has a side saddle, and mag tube extension....both are fully functional. I also want to buy a pistol grip stock for it, and an 18.5" barrel. But before I buy the stock and barrel, I'm going to buy another mag tube extension :icon_rolleyes:

I am not putting down any FCG that is not a G2. The point that Vlad and I are making is that the OP already has a fully functional FCG, so spending $100 on another one is completely pointless. That is in no way, shape, or form attempting to put down FCG's other than the G2, it is trying to help the OP spend his money wisely. That $100 is 500 rounds that he could use to practice with, or ~5+ mags that he can get, so why spend it on a part that he already has? My 870 has a side saddle, and mag tube extension....both are fully functional. I also want to buy a pistol grip stock for it, and an 18.5" barrel. But before I buy the stock and barrel, I'm going to buy another mag tube extension :icon_rolleyes:

What FCG is $100? Most are $25-35 tops.

As for the OP, most common causes would be a backwards hammer, legs not properly seated, trigger group is not retained in place properly, or the disconnector is too firm.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone find the G2 trigger to be a little on the light side?

+1. I would be up for trying a new trigger group, if only I lived in a free state and could convert my Saiga-12.

Thank you for all of the replies and sorry I haven't been around gents I have a crazy work schedule. To touch on a few things, No the hammer isn't installed backwards , I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I can strip an AR down bare and put it back together because I'm familiar with it, as far as the SAR is concerned the extent of my familiarity with it was breaking it down to clean and replacing the furniture.

As far as buying another FCG I'll stick to the G2,#1 I already own it and #2 I have friends that run them and they've never had a problem, unfortunately they all live out of state and couldn't really help me out. I do appreciate the concern regarding the tapco G2, but If I was to purchase another FCG, I'd still be in the same position, except I'd have 3 FCG's instead of 2.

I did order a Krebs custom trigger pin retaining plate because I didn't like the shepards crook that came in originally , I'm sure it's worked well and may never fail, but it's just really delicate looking and is a pain in the a** on reinstallation.

I'm located in Woodland Park & I normally shoot over at The Bullet Hole in Belleville... once the plate comes in from krebs, If anyone is in the area and could help me out, it would be much appreciated, If I have to travel a bit that's ok as well I'd rather pay one of the guys on the forum (If you won't accept money, then I'll bring you a bottle of your favorite spirit instead , consider it bartering) and watch it being installed, that was I can actually SEE what I was doing wrong.

If you're interested shoot me a pm when you get a chance and I'll take it from there. Thanks

CIMG1374.jpg

What FCG is $100? Most are $25-35 tops.

As for the OP, most common causes would be a backwards hammer, legs not properly seated, trigger group is not retained in place properly, or the disconnector is too firm.

The RSA is nearly $100 IIRC. I have one in my PSL and its tits!

Thank you for all of the replies and sorry I haven't been around gents I have a crazy work schedule. To touch on a few things, No the hammer isn't installed backwards , I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I can strip an AR down bare and put it back together because I'm familiar with it, as far as the SAR is concerned the extent of my familiarity with it was breaking it down to clean and replacing the furniture.

As far as buying another FCG I'll stick to the G2,#1 I already own it and #2 I have friends that run them and they've never had a problem, unfortunately they all live out of state and couldn't really help me out. I do appreciate the concern regarding the tapco G2, but If I was to purchase another FCG, I'd still be in the same position, except I'd have 3 FCG's instead of 2.

I did order a Krebs custom trigger pin retaining plate because I didn't like the shepards crook that came in originally , I'm sure it's worked well and may never fail, but it's just really delicate looking and is a pain in the a** on reinstallation.

I'm located in Woodland Park & I normally shoot over at The Bullet Hole in Belleville... once the plate comes in from krebs, If anyone is in the area and could help me out, it would be much appreciated, If I have to travel a bit that's ok as well I'd rather pay one of the guys on the forum (If you won't accept money, then I'll bring you a bottle of your favorite spirit instead , consider it bartering) and watch it being installed, that was I can actually SEE what I was doing wrong.

If you're interested shoot me a pm when you get a chance and I'll take it from there. Thanks

CIMG1374.jpg

am available most of the time if you cant work it out...

Sorry for the nercro post, but I've been out of the area for a bit and off of the forum. Thank You to those that offered their help! It ended up being the Shepards Crook that was the problem (I bent it on removal). Once the unit from Krebs came in I installed it and the gun ran like a champ, the trigger pull is SUPER light and may take some getting used to , but its far better than the stock fcg. Thanks again gents and stay safe!