DJNEB

whats the deal with birdshots?

so i have been to a few ranges, both in PA as well as NJ. i have seen a a common restriction regarding shotgun shells, which is they do not allow birdshots. however, buckshots, as well as slugs, as permitted and sold at the range, while birdshots are not allowed or in some cases, even sold at the ranges. this leads me to my question: i am relatively new to shotguns, but it was my understanding that birdshots are the "weaker" of the shotgun shells compared to buckshot and slugs, which then confuses me as to why birdshot are not allowed. now, if a range does not allow birdshot then i can easily enough purchase slugs and buckshots, but this made me curious. does anyone have an answer as to why birdshots would be prohibited at some ranges?

if it helps at all, i have a 12 ga.

Birdshot scatters more, and can ricochet easier. I assume you're talking about SS? Birdshot would ricochet off the rubber backstop and cause....... problems.

oh i see. i was aware of the spread but the ricochet i was not. thank you, that answers that question then!

ya it doesnt really ricochet it can "roll" back and maybe bounce back down the range but not at speeds that can cause harm. kinds silly rule i believe but hey they ownt he range not me

ya it doesnt really ricochet it can "roll" back and maybe bounce back down the range but not at speeds that can cause harm. kinds silly rule i believe but hey they ownt he range not me

Actually at SS the backstop is shredded rubber tires - there's steel belts in there that a birdshot pellet can bounce off of. I think they had some bad ricochets with it before. Not sure.

oooooh ok i only shot it at BA i didnt know they didnt allow it for a while and i shot 200 or so rounds all together and really nvr saw it ricochet bak but i could be wrong i say we ask DS50 what he thinks

Try shooting next to a moron shooting his shotgun with birdshot at a target at 5 yards. You will know why. It doesnt scatter back to you, but goes all over everyone around you.

Almost as annoying as people shooting AR's/AK's at 5 to 10 yards at an indoor range. =)

oooooh ok i only shot it at BA i didnt know they didnt allow it for a while and i shot 200 or so rounds all together and really nvr saw it ricochet bak but i could be wrong i say we ask DS50 what he thinks

[

Someone get the violin!!!